1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coach admires Pats' versatility

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 30, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_30.1cd8462c.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

By Jim Alexander

SAN DIEGO - There is a willingness to take risks in the New England Patriots camp that has opposing coaches such as Marty Schottenheimer shaking their heads in wonderment.

"When you look at this football team, other than the quarterback position, I don't think it matters who plays," the Chargers coach said Thursday of this week's opponent, the two-time defending Super Bowl champion. "They seem to have interchangeable parts, and I mean that in a positive sense.

"I mean, a guy like Don Davis, a linebacker from the University of Kansas, played I don't know how many games as a safety, wearing No. 51. Or a guy like (wideout) Troy Brown playing corner ... They've got guys that are versatile and are very, very bright, and they just continue to find ways to plug them in.

"I give Bill (Belichick, head coach) and his staff a lot of credit, first of all to have the courage to do something so unorthodox. But he's confident, and he knows that the way they play as a football team, they have a chance to get anybody they put into the lineup in a situation where he can be part of a winning group."

Belichick, speaking on a conference call, said the ability to plug players in where necessary is all part of being a team.

"Everyone has a job to do, and everyone has to prepare," he said.

Injury Follies

Belichick has a reputation for being extremely secretive with injury information, which may be why offensive tackle Matt Light and strong safety Rodney Harrison, both injured against Pittsburgh, were still listed as starters on the team's depth chart early in the week. Harrison's injury, in fact, is season-ending.

However, the official midweek injury report lists Light as out, along with Patriots running back Kevin Faulk. Eight other players are listed as "questionable," the official NFL definition of which means there's a 50-50 chance a player will be available.

The Chargers, meanwhile, have upgraded guard Toniu Fonoti (hand) and linebacker Shaun Phillips (knee) to questionable. Neither played last week. However, linebacker Steve Foley (abdominal strain), center Nick Hardwick (neck) and cornerback Quentin Jammer (calf) all were downgraded to questionable.

Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest, a USC alum, was asked in a conference call interview which team was more likely to win a third straight title this year, his current team or his former one.

"We don't look that far ahead, and I know Pete (Carroll) is telling those guys not to look too far ahead either," McGinest said. "The way things are looking, they're doing really well. I wish them luck."

More Chargers Notes

New England will wear its alternate silver jerseys in Sunday's game at Foxboro, Mass. It will be the fourth time the Patriots have worn silver. They've won each of the previous three, with two of the victories shutouts.

The Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson was chosen AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his 192-yard, three-touchdown performance against the New York Giants last Sunday. Meanwhile, Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri won the special teams player of the week award for his 18th career game-winning field goal, a 43-yarder to beat the Steelers at Pittsburgh.