1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coach Turner "Optimistic" Gates will Play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Jan 9, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    From the Chargerblog at the UT:

2. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Good chance he is just blowing smoke...but here's to hoping.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    here here

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
  5. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Even if he doesn't start, just rotate him in. That would be enough to confuse the Colts defense.

7. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    For about 3 plays, before they figure out he's just a decoy.

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    They still have to put at least one guy on him. If they don't, he may not be able to cut or run very fast, but he can still catch. That'd be good to at least move the chains.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if he really can't contribute and is only a decoy then sooner or later the Colts will figure that out. I'd rather have everyone who is suited up and active able to play to the best of their abilities, not just be in there as a decoy

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    If Gates is out there, he'll be able to play. I'm sure they'll numb up his toe big time. He may not be able to push off or make cuts like normal, but he'll still be able to run and catch.

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Terrell Davis was talking about this issues caused by a toe injury. He said it's the joint of the toe that's the problem, and that is causes players to run flat-footed. That reall hurts your quickness, cutting and jumping ability.

I'll really be shocked if Gates plays. I think Norv is just trying to keep the Colts guessing. I hope I'm wrong.

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Just having the threat of Gates on the field in certain situations might be all that they are after. He would have to be accounted for in a goal line/ situations, even if there is no intention of getting him the ball.

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Injured or not, if Gates lines up in the red zone, the Colts will have to react. That may be enough.

I still like Naanee at tight end.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Gates is fully able to play than play him, otherwise the nature of the injury will negatively affect his balance and make him unduly susceptible to injury. If he is injured, other players who are a100% will be more effective than he will be if can't push off or make cuts. If he can't cut or move properly, someone will take his head off or rack up a knee.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If he's healed enough to play on Sunday, you can bet that the NFL will be asking him to pee in a cup real soon. :lol: