1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching Candidates?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bruce Daniel, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I can't imagine this coaching staff making it past this year (then again I said that for at least the last two years of Norv). That being said, anyone have any names as possible replacements? I know I'll get ridiculed for this, but I wouldn't mind giving Josh McDaniels a crack at it.

2. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Head Coach - matilack
    "Offensive" Co-ordinator - Sydalish. She deserves it for her "F... the draw play" comment from the last podcast.
    Defense Co-ordinator - ChargerRay. Got a feeling he's pretty fired up right now.
    GM - Chaincrusher....for obvious reasons.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Where's Marty?

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    McFly? I saw him on Kimmel a few nights ago!

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Hey, Syd has some sense!

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Glares

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    DC John Pagano – named as Interim, when McCoy is fired during the bye week. (if we fail to win our next 2 games, this move must be made!) If we see a sudden improvement in preparation, discipline & intensity, (ala the Dolphins who are 2-0 under their Interim Head Coach Dan Campbell, and have looked better recently than they have all year) then he should get serious consideration for having the “Interim” tag removed after the season.

LB Coach Mike Nolan is promoted to DC in a corresponding move, and if he can teach our defenders the fundamentals that are currently lacking, he should get some consideration for the HC job. He’s got prior NFL HC experience and would likely be better for it in his 2nd time in that role.

I would also contact LSU OC Cam Cameron, and offer him that role with this team. (Reich had better be sent packing along with McCoy) I seem to recall that our offense did pretty well under his tutelage, and I’d sweeten the offer with the promise that if he finds a way to effectively utilize our current top draft pick, then he will get some serious consideration for our HC job as well. (for the same reason as Nolan, he would likely do better this time around)

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Hay hay hay! :cautious:

If I'm gonna be the HC I need to have GM control. You know like Parcells used to say, "they want you to cook the dinner, at least they should let you shop for the groceries." :cool:

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    That's funny, sounds exactly like what my ex used to say! Except that it sounded more like "Fu*k you, I'm out of here!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    Cowher or Gruden, [/sarcasm]

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Hell no to Pagano being interim. He sucks just as much as Reich and needs to be shown the door along with McCoy and Reich. I do like Cameron as an OC and anyone from the Belicheat tree as HC.

Oh and yes, I would do a better job as DC than Pagano.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    My 1st thought was Mike Nolan as the interim, (for his prior HC exp) but I can imagine there would be a ton of butthurt if Pagano were passed over for the interim job in favor of one of his subordinates, especially one in his 1st season here. Unless you intend to totally clean house all in one fail swoop, something that is generally never done mid-season, Pagano as interim might be the most acceptable short term option.

Today was the first day that I actually wanted Pagano fired, his defenses have been keeping us in games when the offense is sabotaging our chances to win but it’s hard to forgive the numerous big plays given up, the consistent lack of effectiveness of our D-line, and the horrible play by our secondary, save for Verrett.

Usually a team who is replacing their coach in-season does not have a wonderful replacement already on staff, only less worse options and often times, the shakeup of firing the coach gets the players’ attention, and puts them on notice that anyone’s job could be on the line.

If McCoy were fired and Pagano replaced him, I seriously doubt if he would be hired as our next HC during the offseason. Even if Nolan did a good job as DC and was subsequently promoted, that would be far more understandable than jumping him over Pagano for the interim job.

13. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Everything is good except pagano

14. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    When a team fires it’s coach mid-season it’s usually 1 of the coordinators who replaces him (oddly enough, Miami named Campbell, their TE coach as interim coach) on an interim basis – I’ll speculate that not a one of us want Reich to get that gig, so Pagano is the logical option. Most of us have believed for the past few years that some other team would hire him as their HC anyway, and giving him the interim job would allow us to replace him with Nolan, and his defenses are usually good.

I don’t think we can totally clean house mid season, and if I had to fire 1 coordinator and promote the other on an interim basis, Pagano would be my choice to stay till the offseason, and Reich would be my choice to leave with McCoy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    The Chargers need to get creative with their next coaching regime. The defensive coordinator needs to be a superstar in the making that is looking to take the next step as a NFL defensive coordinator! Who out there in the college ranks or acting in a support capacity to a current NFL Defensive Coordinator is out there that is getting attention for the their teams defensive performances??? Who is designing creative blitzes and coverages???

I don't watch college football so can someone offer any suggestions?

Here is a scenario... MIKE NOLAN promoted to Head Coach, MIKE SINGLETARY hired as Defensive Coordinator and CAM CAMERON hired as the Offensive Coordinator.

Comments????

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Unfortunately, you can go get the son of Bellicheat, a Tomlin, Saban, or even dig up Lombardi himself, if you don't have the personnel that can hang with the big boys you are going nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I’m all for getting creative with our coaching hires, but our options to do so mid-season are likely limited at best, especially if we wiped out our HC & both Coordinators – no self respecting, accomplished coach would come here under those circumstances, especially with a potential franchise move hanging over our heads. With that said, we could probably get Singletary (he coached under Nolan in SF and he’s currently “between jobs”) and possibly Cameron, (if he were willing to leave LSU in the middle of a season) but as for any NFL coordinator or position coach, I seriously doubt if you’d even get permission to interview any of them in the middle of a season, or else any team who fired a coach mid-season would simply raid other NFL teams’ coaching staffs while trying to right their own ships.

18. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I think in our case, it’s more a matter of coaching, then it is personnel. Last weekend’s game at Green Bay illustrated that when we went toe-to-toe with one of the better teams in the NFL, and should’ve beaten them. We were very competitive at Cincinnati as well, and if the refs don’t screw us right before halftime, that game could’ve turned out differently as well. Both of those teams are still undefeated, and we could’ve beaten them both on the road so we have some good “ingredients”, but our “cooks” & their “recipes” kinda stink right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I really have to laugh.

Mike Nolan as head coach... Really? Because his 18-37 with the 9ers is pure impressiveness... Never finishing above 3rd in a weak NFC West division... A total win percentage of .327%...
    In 21 years as DC his Defenses have ranked in the top 10 6 times (over all D) 8 times (Rushing yards per attempt) and 9 times (Passing yards).

Sorry, I am not impressed with that resume. I get it, he is a known name, but not an overly successful name, nor one known for developing talent.

Singletary as DC? Another 9ers coach who lost his locker room, followed Nolan in the train wreck that was the 9ers. I guess it does fit the Chargers formula though. Get a coaching staff that will possibly do ok, but will not get the job done. Maybe it is to keep focus off the ownership...

I don't know. But looking at the accomplishments of those two, I say Hale Nah!

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Mike will be "between jobs" for a long time. :p

I always say that HCs don't matter as much as most fans think...that rosters determine W/L records
    much, much more. Bill Walsh was no "genius" before Joe Montana showed up.

But Singletary is usually my "every rule has an exception" guy... :D

Mike had one of the most talented rosters in 2010, and somehow "guided" them to a bizarre 5-10 record!
    (That's how Jim Harbaugh was able to win 9 of his first 10 [in 2011] making dumb people declare JH ready for the Hall of Fame...) :roflmao:

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 7.09.00 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  22. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    As mentioned before, I don’t believe any competent, self respecting coach who has experienced any sort of success or longevity in the league would take our job mid-season, but in the offseason, we may have a number of former coaches who are interested in coaching the Chargers, and not just to have a job because most if not all of them are already employed, albeit on television & radio.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Bolts hire Aztec alumnus Herm Edwards – after 2 offensive minded coaches have allowed our toughness & discipline to slide, it may be time for another defensive guy. I never thought I’d be craving for a coach like Marty, but we were tough & disciplined under his tutelage, we played good defense & ran the ball with authority. I just want someone who will kick the guys in the *** who need it, and teams led by defensive minded coaches usually seem to be tougher.

23. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    I want us to hire Hue Jackson at the end of the year. Look what his done for the Bengals. He took a garbage Raiders to 8-8 and was let go to soon.

The thing I like about him is his teams run the ball and don't give up after a few bad runs. He also has helped Dalton alot this year.

I would also give McDaniels another shot but would get a veteran DC along with him.

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    You really think Dalton is better than Tom Brady and Joe Montana?!? :eek: What are you thinking, Johnny?!?

(p.s.: Sure, I realize that you didn't actually say that...just thought you'd benefit from getting the feeling that I get when you respond to my posts that way) :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think you need to check yourself sir! Stop accusing people of actually thinking. You know darn good and well gosh golly that little to no thought goes on here!

26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    First, none of the coaches named will be able to win consistently over the long haul with the roster as presently constituted. We simply lack talent in a major way.

Yesterday had nothing to do with the coaching. If anything, Del Rio and company's poor coaching allowed the game to get closer than it should have been. If anything, McCoy outcoached Del Rio, which allowed the game to get closer at the end than it should have been, but Del Rio had considerably more talent with which to work.

So, the first thing that needs to happen is that Telesco must go. Like Peter Thomspon said in the article in the other thread called "Eff the Chargers", Telesco couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his draft picks, and he is clueless when it comes to personnel moves. He is like a blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a board when it comes to the draft and personnel moves. And that is probably an insult to the dart throwing blindfolded monkeys out there, who are all probably rightfully objecting upon reading this and saying, "Hey, watch what you are saying! Don't even be calling me a Telesco!! Telesco my a$$!!"

After Telesco is gone, Pagano needs to go. I have been in his camp for years with his creative defensive moves while he has lacked talent, but this team is in desperate need of an identity and a philosophy on the defensive side of the ball. Although I hate them, if we want to be a lame a$$ Tampa 2 Tony Dungy Colts style soft 4-3 defense, then let's go all in and do that and clean house of the players that do not fit that way.

Or, as would be my wish, we can choose to cowboy up and be a bigger, more physical and intimidating 3-4 defense in the mold of the Steelers and the Ravens. And if we do that, then for goodness sake, let's get rid of all of the soft weak a$$ wimp players on our roster and bring in hard hitting, bone crunching players and have some fun. Hell, I wouldn't even mind a personal foul or two from someone other than our feisty, but diminutive CB.

But either way, let's be something and stick with it.

Reich needs to go also. I think the team is right to pass more with its current and very obvious lack of talent to support the running game. I think Reich should have discovered this long ago and not killed so many drives with stupid running plays. I think the pass needed to be used more to set up the run all along. There needed to be more max protect pass plays with deeper passes, more play action pass plays from under center, and so many other things that Reich just lacks the creativity to implement.

McCoy should probably also be gone although I blame him the least of all involved for the team's downturn. He has been in a position of responsibility and has not seen to the fixing of things. So I would complete the cleaning house by dismissing him, but he is the least directly blameworthy. Further, I don't think we will be missing all that much when he is gone.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    No way to good ol boy Pagano, the coach every player loves but never gets held accountable by. Our coaches are all nice guys i.e. soft and the players play that way accordingly. I'm sick of this sh1t want a disciplinarian who does let players get aways with BS. This coach must also have massive cojones.

28. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I quit reading at this point...:cautious:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    His such a contrarian at this point. McCoy had his best coaching this year vs Packers and he rips him. We get blown out and he believes he should be congratulated now? Rinse and Repeat and it's the same usual suspects on this board.

30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    1. Josh McDaniels
    2. Sean Payton

At a distant..

3. Todd Haley, Hue Jackson