1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching Retrospective... NO NORV HATE PLZ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Dec 3, 2009.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Looking back, would you rather have hired norv turner or wade phillips when Marty was canned? Reasons why please and no latent hate... Wade isn't looking too good and as much as I hate to admit it, NORV is coming around and making decent play calls. I haven't seen a run sproles inside, sproles inside, LT inside for 0 punt drive for a while now, nor have I seen a deep shot incomplete, lt insoide for 2, lt inside for 1 punt drive in a while either.... Credit to Norv for helping this team turn around this year before it got to late...

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'll take Norv, his team gets stronger as the season goes on, Wade's have done the opposite.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Very true !!

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Lets see. A coach that was handed a team to him. With all the assistants and top range players in Phillips. A coach who has yet to do well in the playoffs even though he is in the NFC facing easier competition.

The other Norv Turner who had almost all his assistant coaches leave before he gets there. He turns around a run first team into a pass first team making his QB a top 5 QB in the league. Turner who has had a lot of success in the offseason compared to NONE from Phillips. A coach who has had virtually all his top players injured, vs one with few real injuries to his team.

Yea Norv Turner all the way. He took over a more difficult situation and can actually make it in the playoffs. Wade has almost no success in his history as a HC in the playoffs.

5. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Same, Turner has a belief and a system that seems to work. I think he deserves tons of credif for being consistent. Can't run up the middle with Sproles? Offensive line better work on that, cuz that's what were gonna do from time to time. Defense can't stop the run early on? Better work on it, cuz we're still a base 3-4 even with JW out. Entire team struggles in the first half of games? Better work on it. Players don't practice during the week? Not much of a chance of starting the next game, let alone playing.

To me it seems that Turner cares about the team improving every day more than he does just keep his title as coach, and I for one appreciate that, especially since players have responded.

I know some Dallas fans that would take Norv in a second in hopes that they would at least see a team building during the season instead of just playing each game.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    This really wasn't an option for the Chargers because they chose to stick with Marty and it wasn't until Wade (and Cam) were hired elsewhere that they fired him.

That being said, I'd take Norval over Wade. Neither of them had a good head coaching resume going into the jobs and, like MasterOfPuppets (is it just me or do we have a lot of Metallica names here?) said, Norv's team seems to get stronger when it's more important. Now we just have to hope it carries on through the post season this time.

7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Norv Turner, so far, has a perfect record in November and December.

Wade Phillips has a horrible record during that stretch. I believe it was mentioned

2009: 4 wins 1 loss
    2008: 4 wins 4 losses
    2007: 8 wins 1 loss

2008 no playoff.
    2006 and 2007 no playoff wins.

Not a great winter record for one of the most stacked team talent and assistant coaches in the league.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As HC... neither.

Wade is nothing special either but the Cowboys are not a good team. They have some talent but are far from a Super Bowl contender.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Leave it to B4L to not answer the question.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The question is "would you rather have hired norv turner or wade phillips when Marty was canned?" And my answer is "neither."
    That's an answer!

11. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    You don't do very well with life do you...

12. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Don't forget Wade is 0-4 in post season as a head coach...

Norv is 4-3 and has won at least one playoff game in every post season appearance..

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WTF? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

14. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    Look at the question and it's options, look at your answer, shrug your shoulders a couple of more times, maybe get a 2nd opinion, rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    What's the point of responding if you aren't going to pick either?

The options were either Norv or Wade, not neither, Norv, Wade, or both.

Anyways Norv by far, Wade hasn't won in the playoffs, he's pretty much Marty except without the great regular season success. At least with Norv we've won in the playoffs both years, and have played well going into the playoffs which was what AJ wanted. Unfortunately you can only do so much with injuries to key players with limited time to fix it.

Even before Norv got here he already had a playoff win under his belt.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And I am allowed to choose "neither." Why do you two have such a problem with that?

As for options... those two are not the only coaches in the world. You just didn't like my answer.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Who said they were the only 2 options in the world? They were the only 2 options for this thread. If you didn't want to choose either then there is no need to respond. To post neither is not responding to the question, it's a cop out.

It's like when a person asks you would you rather be rich or good looking and you say both, you're not answering the question.

It's really simple to understand, everyone else understood it.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    NO, once again you fail to understand what the topic and OP are asking.

Wade or Norv. There isn't a "NEITHER" option. Why even post if you have NO OPINION on one vs. the other?

Fail

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yeah, because there are hard and fast rules when it comes to posting on these boards

:popcorn:

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    "Neither" wasn't one of the options.

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I pick Norv > Wade

now Im gonna exit this thread b4 I help ruin it

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    What's the point of responding to the question if you're not going to answer it?

Well, no **** sherlock. That doesn't negate the fact that the OP asked if you had to choose between the two who do you choose.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Nobody's saying it's a rule that he needs to follow, everyone's just failing to understand the point of responding.

I wouldn't want Dick Jauron or Kevin Gilbride as the Chargers head coach but if someone started a thread asking who I'd prefer I wouldn't bother posting "neither" because it serves no purpose.

I'd either think about the lesser of the two evils (Jauron) or just not post.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I have an opinion. I don't like Norv or Wade. So I chose neither of them and that IS an option. You just don't like the answer.

You fail to understand that Norv and Wade are not the only NFL head coaches in the world. There is no reason in Hell that we could have only had one or the other.

Now take your train wreck attempt somewhere else.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That^^^^^^^^is what your answer should have been.

Get it? :icon_shrug:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No it isn't. Cause you can't have two head coaches on a team and there is nothing keeping us restricted to only choose Norv or Wade.

With that said... neither is an answer.
    You guys really want an argument in the worst way. Especially over something as asinine as this.

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    totally agree.

I cannot pick one over the other.

28. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv, definitely. Wade is not a HC I would want.

A DC, yes. :yes:

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    B4L has a right to his thoughts, even if they are ever so slightly more decrepit than mine-thus he shields me before all from my weirdness. That being said, I'll take Norval, seeing as how I'll take a disciple of Gilman, Coryell and Zampese over the followers of lesser minds.

30. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In Defense of B4L here about his thoughts about not having both Coaches here as our HC, it is his opinion and I agree that I would not want either one as well back then.