1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coaching

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Oct 9, 2016.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    This San Diego Chargers team is the worst coached team I've ever seen. Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    You are correct sir!

3. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Kevin Gilbride re-incarnated as Mike McCoy.

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Mike Riley anyone?!

5. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +276
    McCoy was heard to ask no one in particular, "What does a guy have to do to get fired around here?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    How does Mccoy get let back into the locker room after the game?

• Like Like x 1
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    This team DOES have the players to win (except for Kaser, cut him and find ANY street free agent to punt), even with all the injuries they are still competitive in games

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    How did he do it in Weeks 1, 3, and 4?

3 straight weeks of the same post-game speech will rub the players the wrong way. Especially if you've heard similar speeches the last 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Walking Dead style, throw Kaser in front of him, let the walkers...err...players kill him, and sneak in behind him

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Which makes you think - is it the players or is it the coaching? We should of fired McCoy after last year, without a doubt.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Where is the guy that said Bosa is overrated?
    Where is the guy that said Henry isn't worth the 35th overall pick?

Imagine if Bosa played all pre-season, and was in football shape. Thanks, Spanos.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Del Rio goes for it on a 4th and 2 to get a TD and to move his team ahead. Gutless McCoy doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 to "equalize" and hoping for Bosa to sack Carr and a few miracles here and there to prevail in OT? :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I think it's the mentallity of the team, they believe that they'll find a way to lose, a good coach can change that mentality.
    With the right coach, the right conditioning coach and a little luck this team can contend for a playoff spot next year

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Right.

But, McCoy was brought in here to change the culture. He hasn't done so.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Did anybody see how pissed Rivers and some of the players were when McCoy waived them to the sideline and rolled the special teams unit out?

Rivers doesn't deserve this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    THIS RIGHT HERE.

Losers go home. Winners **** the prom queen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Drew Kaser's comments after the game,

"We've got to go back on film and see what happened"

Listen, I blame Kaser for not executing, but I blame McCoy more for being a loser and going for the tie, rather than the win. Especially when momentum was on our side. But, this is prime example of what McCoy has done to this team. Read those Kaser's comments, and think to yourself, why the **** is he not taking accountability for not executing?!

Well, when your coach doesn't take accountability, the players won't either. Nobody owns up to mistakes on this team, and that is a recipe of a losing team.

18. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +276
    We haven't had a coach with any guts in a long, long time. Spanos likes to hire milquetoasts he can push around. If McCoy had any sense he'd quit this team... and walk home to San Diego.

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Answer: Spanos

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Correct me also if I'm wrong, but didn't Del Rio also go for 2 after the TD to further add insult to injury? Oh pardon me, it was the turnover after the Chargers fumbled the Figgie snap that was the insult to injury. McCoy won that one! :roflmao:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He did that to bring the lead to 3 instead of kicking the fg and leading by 2.

22. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I guess I never paid much attention prior to information age, but has any Spanos era coach come in with their own staff? I am not saying this is the answer, but look at successful teams vs well us. I read on here, only reason we had Marty was because redskins paying a lot of his salary. You want Big Lots merch or Costco?

Harbaugh 2017, fire Telesco, Lil Jon Spanos realize he isnt a football guy, just a lucky sperm recipient.

23. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    It's not a realistic situation, but how awesome would it have been for Rivers to flip that coward the bird and stay out there for the 4th down?

• Like Like x 1
  24. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Agreed. Also Del Rio showed confidence in Crabtree, who had a couple of drops. It was a calculated risk that the play was there, one on one, and his QB would make the pass.

MM apparently doesn't have confidence in PR/AG ! Go for OT at home. Go for the win on the road.

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    David Shaw anyone? He has history with the Chargers (apparently Position coach in 2006). He is an young offence minded coach who might bring some fresh innovative ideas!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  26. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Tom Hackett needs a job.

27. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +24
    I like Shaw. Someone to consider at the end of the season. If we fire McCoy mid season then I would think one of the coordinators would take over as interim HC.

Or bring back the Schotty to get these boys in line.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    I do really like Shaw, but be warned: he is also a disciple of extreme conservatism.

29. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    I really want a coach who understands that taking calculated risks can pay off and who isn't afraid to go for a victory simply because the media might then blame him for a defeat. Calling games "safe" in the extreme is actually the riskiest play of all, as it turns out. If you give your opponents chance after chance to get by you, most of the time they will.

I'd also like a coach who can do something bat halftime other than prepare his team to play substantially worse.

30. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    To be fair here, if we had Keenan Allen (like the Raiders have Cooper) this game and indeed this whole season may be going very differently right now.

I'm a firm believer that when teams lose games late the bulk of the blame lay with coaches; by way of conservative play calling and breakdown in player fundamentals and discipline. So I am all for firing Mike Meekoy. But it would be unfair to forget that we're not only losing starters, we're losing STARS to injuries. Most people expected Allen to get 100-115 catches this year, and Woodhead to catch at least another 50-60, that is no small thing.

This is why I was so doom and gloom here in week 1. All hope of being serious playoff contenders died with Keenan Allen's knee, and when Jason Verrett went down the rest of this season became damn near pointless to even play out.