1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coast Guard searching for Patriots DE Hill in Lake Pontchartrain

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 28, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,058
    NEW ORLEANS -- U.S. Coast Guard rescue crews continued searching Lake Pontchartrain on Monday for New England Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill, who was reported missing following a jetski accident.

"We searched throughout the night," said Petty Officer Tom Atkeson.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were jetskiing Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last scene floating away from the scene.

Full Article

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    I hope he's ok

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Authorities have turned their search from rescue to recovery for former LSU football standout Marquise Hill, now a defensive end for the New England Patriots, who went missing Sunday night after falling off a jet ski in Lake Pontchartrain.

Lt. Steve McManus of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said officials decided to focus on recovering Hill's body after witnesses saw him go under the water without resurfacing. Authorities are trying to determine with the help of family members Hill's exact location at the time he and a woman fell from the craft, McManus said.

Link

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    They weren't wearing life jackets. Not good.

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't understand that at all. It's such a simple precaution.

6. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Especially on a jet-ski. I've seen way too many people die on the water and it takes a while for rescuers to get to you. My dad pulled four people out of the water at Lake Shasta after a bad accident. They were the lucky ones although one of them had to have her spleen removed.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No life jacket. Riding a jet ski without a life jacket. Darwin Award stuff. His family will be devastated because he was just plain stupid.

:icon_wtf:

8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I was a real good swimmer, an avid scuba diver and water skier. Yet, I always wore a life vest. When I was 17-18, I was skiing and jumped the wake, but hit a piece of wood or something in the water right at the lauch point. That screwed me up, and I tumbled. The skag on the ski came across and hit me in the head, opening up a gash above my hair line and knocking me unconcious. The next thing I know, I was in the boat. My step-Dad had got the boat turned around and my step-Brother jumped in the water and turned me over (as I was face down). Without a life vest, I could easily have slipped under.

Seat belts, life vests, etc are such simple devices, yet their use can prevent death in many accidents. I'm amazed that people just ignore them.

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,058
    I agree.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I also did plenty of stupid things when I was younger. That whole thinking that you will live forever thing at that age.....

It's all very sad, no life-jacket withstanding.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,917
  14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Do jet skis have lights?

Wonder why people would do that at night? ... and without life vests.

15. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not on any of the ones I've ever used. Also it's pretty universal that it's 5 MPH at night for everyone's safety (with proper lighting). The woman is lucky to be alive.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    my condolences; the league has lost a number of players already this year and this one actually could have been avoided

• Like Like x 1
  17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    No lights, no brakes. Sad story.

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It is sad.

Just seems odd that people would be out on the lake jetskiing at night. Booze ... or he and his gal were looking for a spot to get intimate, and something happened.

19. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I'm sure it will turn out to be a bit of both. I'm not "holier than thou", as I don't wear a life jacket at sea. But I don't go mach 10 on a floating crotch rocket without lights/brakes at night. Somewhere about 10-15 years ago we started calling them PFD's (personal flotation devices) instead of life jackets/life vests; probably the manufacturers that wanted to separate their product from the old school orange thingys that you see in war movies. Not sure what my point is here, only that something got lost in translation through the years, especially with the breakthroughs in aquatic technology.

They were called life jackets for a reason.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We called them PFD's in the early 80's. I had a "cool" design on mine. Wonder what I ever did with it ... I think those first came out in the mid-70's.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The reports I heard on XM radio was that heavy currents caused him to go down. Lake Ponchartrain is a lake, and unless there's an overflow dam (there may be) there's not much of a current anywhere on the lake.

'Course I haven't read the links, so mebbe...

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    There is an overflow spillway, and the lake is affected by tidal action.

Depends on where on the lake he was. There are 5-6 rivers that flow into it, so those, the spillway, or the tide could cause current action.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Ah, OK, my bad!!

24. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

It's the second largest salt water lake in the US.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,058
    I have been to the largest!:tup:

26. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've been to both. That damn bridge on I-10 over Lake P is LONG !!!

27. BoneDaddyKool

BoneDaddyKool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    It's a real shame, on so many levels, to lose a life like that. From what I've understood so far, he tried to keep the female calm, and on a buyoe (spelling?) before he was sweept away.

Yeah they were careless, and one can say what they want, but there was an accident just like that in wisconsin, where I live, on the same day, a kid was boating, jumped in 20 feet of water to swim, and dissapeared.

It's easy to blame people for their own deaths, that doesn't mean it's any less painful to the people that love them to accept the fact that they are gone.

Best wishes to his family, friends, and teammates.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,058
    Well said! :tup: