1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Collision puts Tomlinson on sideline with sore neck

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 4, 2006.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson missed practice Friday with a sore neck, a day after colliding with teammate Igor Olshansky.

"Luckily there is nothing serious," San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer said.

Tomlinson, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, didn't even suit up for practice.

"I don't know what happened; I was just playing football," a remorseful Olshansky said. "It's a physical game, things happen. But it's not purposely."

Also missing from practice Friday were linebackers Shawne Merriman (hamstring) and Donnie Edwards (back), and left tackles Roman Oben (foot) and Leander Jordan (hip).

With Tomlinson down, it meant more work for backup Michael Turner, who averaged nearly six yards on 57 carries with three touchdowns last season.

"I'm just trying to get better every year; just trying to establish myself in this league and I think I am doing a pretty good job of that," Turner said.

Tomlinson counters that Turner, a third-year pro, could be more than a second-stringer if not playing in San Diego.

"I have a lot of confidence in Michael," Tomlinson said. "His value to this team isn't really spoken about but he could be a starter in this league very easily."

Turner considers himself a backup in name only.

"I prepare myself as a starter," he said. "Every week I imagine myself being a starter on this team, even though I know it might not happen. But I prepare myself that way because I'm one play away. L.T. can get hurt any time. I don't wish that on him but it is the nature of the game."