1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Colston re-signs with the Saints

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...top-receiver-colston-with-five-year-contract/

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    John Clayton is reporting 5 year, $40 million with $19 million guaranteed. So we'll see how much this tempers VJ's expectations of what kind of cash he should be pulling in. This is a contract I have no problem paying to VJ (guaranteed monies are reasonable - not great, but reasonable), $8 million PYA is fair (likely works out to an additional $1-1.75 million cap hit in prorated signing bonus each year, but that keeps it reasonable/affordable to get out of the 5th year if he falls off a cliff physically/speed-wise).

If this is the market, as long as no one comes out firing $12 million plus PYA (and Chicago is reported to be hotly pursuing Mario Williams, for what it's worth), our chances of bringing VJ back into the fold aren't looking as terrible as some are projecting it to be.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    This isn't the market though....... Colston just didn't want to leave the system and team he's comfortable with. He could've gotten more in free agency.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I wouldn't say this sets the market for Jackson, but it gives a point of reference. Jackson hasn't had microfracture surgery on his knees.

I think this sets Jackson's floor, rather than his ceiling. To be honest though, I doubt anyone expected Jackson to be had for less than this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Couldn't agree more.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hmmm........ looks like I was right. ;)

“This was important to me, to be back with this team in this situation,” Colston said in comments distributed by the team. “I was not looking to chase free agency; it was more important for me to be back in our program, a program we have been building and a program I believe in. The Saints have been loyal to me from the beginning and I want to thank my agent Joel Segal and Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis for getting this deal done before free agency. Now it is time to get back to work and win some more rings.”

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If VJ is looking for more than that, he can go find it somewhere else because he isn't worth it

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Colston also doesn't have multiple DUI's and isn't one off the field issue away from being suspended for possibly an entire season.