1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Colts Pre-game talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 21, 2016.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    @ChargersHElwood
    Colts Head Coach Chuck Pagano told reporters WR Donte Moncrief will be out 4-6 weeks with a fractured scapula.

@SDUTKrasovic
    Colts HC Pagano on Chargers: "Extremely well-coached." "Whole secondary is outstanding." Melvin Gordon is a "physical, physical guy."

@XTRA1360
    Hardwick talking about Andrew Luck: "I barely put him above RGIII right now."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Based on how our offense has looked against the Chiefs and Jags we should torch these guys, even with the losses considered. Seriously, their best player on defense right now is Erik Walden. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that McCoy won't lay an egg but there will be no excuses. This is an excellent opponent for us to get life post Danny figure out against.

On offense, my biggest concern is that Hilton and Dorsett get behind our defense, and that Allen/Doyle roast our LB's and safeties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    @sdutGhelkin
    Today is the day. Here on Sept. 21, rookie DE Joey Bosa in pads for first time as a Charger. His first practice since Aug. 30.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    It pisses me off that we have to account for the McCoy **** up factor, but it's sooooo real.

It may come off as an overly positive rationalization, but I still think losing the Danny Woodhead crutch may end up helping McWiz in the long run. There were times in KC where he had no business being in the game, and we kept throwing him screens and calling delayed runs like he was friggin Marshall Faulk.

If we had Keenan Allen I'd be so confident right now.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    @profootballtalk
    Andrew Luck sits out practice due to sore shoulder

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Luck is a good qb. He has a ****** OL and no time to throw. He gets abused.

Ingram should have a good day

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Of course Chcuck Pagano thinks a team coached by his brother is "Extremely well-coached". :roflmao:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Yeah I'm just not buying that argument regarding Danny. He was playing really well in both phases. I was surprised they used Gordon so little in the 2nd half, but given how it was working I don't think that can be cited as a reason why we collapsed.

His great play as one of the best 3rd down backs in the league far outshines any perceived negative effect he may have as a "crutch" in the offense.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I get you, but overall I feel like it made them far too cautious. The natural instinct being to throw short or hand off on 3rd and 3 rather than push the ball down field. In big situations that stuff almost never worked for us in KC or all of last season.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I think in KC they simply let the momentum get to them and affect their execution. You can nitpick other stuff if you like, but I feel that was the main gist of the issue. Well, that and horrible punts.

And yeah, you can probably blame that on coaching too.

11. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I am pumped up for this game, but I am no where near confident its a W. It's an away game, and the next two weeks will be great tests for what the 2016 chargers are about.

We can put up points, let's see if we can make some huge stops on D when we have to.

I will shotgun a beer everytime we Sack luck...anyone with me?

12. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    My opinion is that the problem of playing cowardly football transcends Danny.

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    20-0 Chargers at halftime @ Indy. What happens after halftime, I won't be able to tell you.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I hope your wrong.

But to be fair not having Keenan Allen will probably make it worse.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Woodhead averaged 5.5 yards per carry against the Chiefs. The delayed handoffs to him were working very well for much of the game. The big problem in the 2nd half was we missed on a couple of third and shorts.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I didn't seem them play cowardly last week. I hope that continues. The last time the Chargers blew a 21 point lead in week 1 was the last season they made the playoffs.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I was honestly surprised it took that long into the thread before someone noticed that quote.

18. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Did you think anything about McCoy's cowardice changed when we missed Woodhead for most of 2014?

19. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Did I hear right that Vegas has the Colts giving 3?

20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    3 Points? Hmmm, they only gave the jagz 2.5 points as underdogs. What does that really mean?

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    @sdutGhelkin Newest Chargers cram the playbook. It's not tough for Dexter McCluster. "I pretty much got it down already."

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Well generally giving three points to the home team is Vegas' way of saying the two teams are even in their opinion.

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Should be interesting to see what dexter does with his share of the workload cuz you know we are gona toss him right into the deep end. We don't have the time to ease him in he needs to be ready.

24. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Chargers have scored the most points in the AFC, Colts have allowed the most points scored.

Ps, has anyone else noticed a popup ad on the bottom of this site now?

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah pretty annoying

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Here are my thoughts in a little bit of a longer form.

QB: Andrew Luck has become something of a mystery. He's still emminently talented, but he plays for a team that's run by one of the worse GM's in the league and the talent depletion around him has caused some problems. Now as the supporting personnel finally begins to improve a bit, he seems to have some residual issues. He's capable of going off at any time, but Rivers has been the far more consistent player, while still offering some pretty high "peaks" in his game. Advantage Bolts.

RB: For Indy, this is the Frank Gore show. While I have a lot of respect for Gore, he's clearly showing some age at this point. He's still a fine member of a committee approach, but the problem is that his cohorts are the ridiculously overhyped UDFA Josh Ferguson and the replacement level (generously) Robert Turbin. The Chargers are now without Woodhead, which means it's unclear what's behind Gordon. However, there's no doubt that Gordon's current play is far and away the best of any RB in this game. Advantage Bolts.

WR: Even without Moncrief, the Colts have a pretty dynamic duo. What Hilton and Dorsett lack in size, they make up for in blazing speed. The risk of them popping a big play over the top of the defense is pretty high considering that these guys will combine for somewhere around 150 totals snaps. That's a lot of opportunity for the big play. The Chargers have a speedster of their own in Benjamin and Williams is a coming on. Our guys certainly have the easier matchup, but I do think the Colts are more talented/skilled at the position. Advantage Colts.

TE: I really like the Colts' combo at TE because both can catch and both can block. With Moncrief down, they are likely to be a in a lot of 12 personnel, and that is one of their major paths to a potential victory in my mind. Neither of these guys are world beaters, but they're both capable and need to be accounted for. The Chargers may or may not have Gates as a RZ/3D option. Henry has been stellar as a blocker thus far, and will be called on for more in the passing game if Gates can't go. Given the questionable status of #85, I think the advantage here goes to the Colts.

OL: The offensive line of both teams are improved. The Colts have a much more capable center in Ryan Kelly, Mewhort is a very capable guard, and Castonzo is fine at left tackle. Good and Reitz, however, can be liabilities. The right side is where Pagano needs to attack early and often. The Chargers are healthy on the offensive line for once, and Slauson has been a massive upgrade at the pivot. They don't currently have any glaring weaknesses up front, so I give them the advantage in this area.

DL: With Henry Anderson out, Zach Kerr is really the best that the Colts have up front. This is a pretty uninspired unit, with David Parry providing some two down work, Kendall Langford being a JAG at this point, and Hassan Ridgeway working in as a rookie. The Bolts aren't world beaters on the DL by any means, but they're much better than this opponent. Liuget is legitimately a good player in his prime, Mebane is the best run stuffer on either team, and the platoon of Philon, Reid, and Palepoi are at least all on par with the Colts' starters. Advantage Bolts.

LB: The Colts have had D'Qwell Jackson and Sio Moore starting at ILB. The former is about to turn 33 and isn't the player he was once, while the latter is more of a back up caliber player (who is probably afraid of Fluker). On the outside, they're platooning Erik Walden with the over-the-hill duo of Robert Mathis and Trent Cole. I'm uncertain whether Cole will play, so they brought in Akeem Ayers. The bottom line here is that Walden is their best LB by a wide margin, and he isn't especially good. The Bolts have a huge advantage here at just about every spot.

CB: Woof... The Colts are without Vontae Davis, and will likely be missing Darius Butler, Patrick Robinson, and Antonio Cromartie. Legitimately, I don't even know who they will start in that situation, and I'm not inclined to sift through the mess and find out. Suffice it to say that they will be very, very bad. The Chargers, on the opposite end of the spectrum, are very strong here. Verrett is a total stud. Flowers has bounced back, at least through two games, to play very well. And Hayward has been one of the better FA pickups in the league. Despite ChainCrusher's insistence that the Chargers were foolish to sign Hayward and let Robinson walk, they have a monumental advantage here. Actually, this is arguably the biggest advantage of any position group over its opponents' in the league this week.

S: This is an ugly spot for both sides. Mike Adams is pretty old but he's still a solid player. The rest of their guys are replacement level, but then again so are ours. With Addae out, we should see a lot of McCoil so I suppose there's a chance he surprises and provides an upgrade. But as it is, I think the Colts probably have the advantage here in that they have the best player of a bad bunch.

ST: Neither team is scaring anyone in the return game, which really makes this about kicking and punter. Lambo certainly has the bigger leg, but Vinatieri is obviously the more accurate/clutch kicker. Kaser was a disaster in week one, but much better against the Jaguars. Pat McAfee is certainly the better of the two at this point. Advantage Colts.

So as I break is down, I see 6 areas that favor the Chargers and 4 that favor the Colts. The biggest difference is really that some of our advantages are massive (e.g. everywhere on defense minus safety), while most of the Colts' advantages are quite small.

We are on the road, and McCoy is a liability in close games, but I still think we've got this one. Rivers and Gordon have been rolling, and this is their easiest matchup so far by a wide margin. The defense will allow some points to Luck & Co., but they should be able to focus heavily enough on the couple of advantages Indy has to keep them contained. I'm guessing 34-24 Chargers.

If we lose this game, I'm guessing that it will be because of a combination of: McCoy being a coward, their wideouts busting a huge play or two, their TE's consistently converting 3rd downs and RZ opportunities, and consistently losing the field position battle.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I honestly think the Chargers are going to slaughter the Colts

Luck might be able to hit a long TD or two but this is goign to come down to the lines.

The Colts do not have a very good offensive or defensive line - and the newly improved versions the Bolts have should be able to thoroughly control the line of scrimmage.

Add to that that the Colts DBs (their best unit on D) is badly injured, and I don't know how they'll keep up with Benjamin and Williams.

I see a big time blow out ASSUMING McCoy doesn't tunnel and Wiz/Pagano attempt to be aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Gates didn't practice because of his hammy.... we may be shorthanded at TE.

29. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    No you're thinking of someone else...;)

30. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    We haven't had consecutive wins since 2014....Sunday is our biggest chance in awhile.... ALTHOUGH so was that KC game