1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Colts QB Manning will be NFL's highest-paid player

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    NFL.com Wire Reports

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said Tuesday that he hopes to sign quarterback Peyton Manning to a contract extension when the season ends, a move that should make the four-time NFL MVP the league's highest-paid player.
    "We know Peyton’s going to be the highest-paid player in the league," Irsay said at Super Bowl Media Day in Miami, according to the Boston Herald. "It’s something that'll get done. We’ll be talking in the offseason."
    Manning's contract is set to expire after the 2010 season, but Irsay doesn't want to wait to work out a new deal.
    "With one year to go, even having the franchise tag and all that sort of thing, we'd like to get something done, sooner than later," Irsay said, according to The Associated Press. "So once the season ends, we're going to be talking about that and hopefully getting something done before next season begins. It's something that's going to get done, so honestly, those aren't the ones you worry about."
    The first order of business for Manning and the Colts: Trying to beat the New Orleans Saints on Sunday for their second Super Bowl title in the last four years.
    A new deal could keep Manning in Indianapolis for the rest of his career, something Irsay would like to do.
    Manning, 34, has won a record number of league MVP awards and also has one Super Bowl MVP honor. He's one of four quarterbacks to throw for more than 50,000 yards, and he's third all-time in career touchdown passes with 366, trailing just Brett Favre (497) and Dan Marino (420).
    Manning has started 209 consecutive games, including the playoffs.
    Manning signed a seven-year, $99.2 million deal with the Colts in 2004. His brother, Eli, has since signed a six-year, $97 million contract with the New York Giants, giving him a higher per-year average than his brother.

San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers signed a seven-year, $98.25 million contract last year.
    Irsay said it's likely Manning will regain the status that he once held as the league's highest-paid quarterback.
    "I really don't see that having a bearing on that. I really don't," Irsay said. "Ideally, you know, if it's possible, I'd like to get something done."
    New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s contract also is up in 2010, and he could receive a deal similar to Manning's.
    "Those two guys are kinda tied at the hip as outstanding players," Irsay said, according to The Herald. "Brady’s up at the same time and there’s no question that those guys are comparable in terms of what they’ll be getting paid."

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    After all that talk on ESPN about what Peyton Manning wants his "legacy" to be in football, this is proof that most players coudn't care less about their "legacy" in any sport. If they truly wanted to win playoff games and championships, we wouldn't see them signing max contracts every year.

I'm sure they all want to win it all, but almost none are willing to sign for less money so their team can afford another difference-maker and stay below the cap.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    True dat. He is kneecapping his teams chances of ever winning another super bowl if he does this... I don't understand either. Its not like he needs a max contract because even if he got payed 0 he'd be making super bank off of ads. He does more ads than OJ simpson ever did...

4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I can't relate to the salary amount, but Payton should be the highest played player in the NFL.

When I look at the health condition of Joe Montana I think Payton may be crazy to continue with his career much longer. He has made loads of money and could own the ESPN airwaves if he changed careers. I still wonder if Farve will pay the price for his extended career in the near future.

Growing old is a b*tch!

5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It surely ain't for wussies.

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    But his ads are a helluva lot more entertaining than OJ's ever were.

7. Trent Edwards

Trent Edwards BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

With Peyton starting, Indy doesn't really need much else, I mean look at what he did with this year's roster.

8. Airw0lf

Airw0lf BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think Brady is anywhere near comparable to Manning. Yes Brady has more rings, but Peyton is basically QB *and* offensive coordinator for Indy.