1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Combine 40 yard dash results.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Feb 28, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Top 10
    Name / Official Time
    Best, Jahvid 4.35
    Spiller, C.J. 4.37
    Tate, Ben 4.43
    Mathews, Ryan 4.45
    McKnight, Joe 4.47
    Hardesty, Montario 4.49
    Starks, James 4.50
    Miller, Lonyae 4.53
    McNeal, Shawnbrey 4.56
    McCluster, Dexter 4.58

Best beat Spiller, Mathews beat Dwyer. Dwyer looked very out of shape and very unimpressive at the combine today while on the other hand, Mathews did extremely well and did better than expected at the 40 yard dash. I'm pretty sure Mathews will be our guy.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Mathews only made it harder for us to land him today. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Texans at 20, Pats at 22, Eagles at 24....or even as high as the Giants at 15 if they drop Brandon Jacobs.

And for those of you who were waiting for proof that he is superior to Dwyer in EVERY SINGLE WAY....you got your proof.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's "our" guy. The question is will he be AJ's guy and will he even be available at 28 now.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    All 32 teams know we almost HAVE TO go RB, and that we will take Mathews if he falls to 28. Look for a team like the Redskins, Seahawks, Browns, or even Chiefs to trade up from the 2nd round and steal him from us.

The guy is a franchise back for sure.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    too bad we can't put Best's time on matthews and then we could have a true LT replacement...

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If one of those teams get him, we could get Jahvid Best instead, who paired with Tate or Dixon or Gerhart would be dynamic. We have a lot of options still so even if Mathews is gone, we'll still be able to improve.
    Gerhart really impressed me today. He's in tremendous shape and he ran an unofficial 4.53 which I think is a good speed for his type of running. Ben Tate ran a 4.43 and he's another option that can be paired with Best. If we can't get Best or Mathews then we'll have to settle for Dwyer, which I'm not willing to do after today's performance... But I think that Mathews will be waiting for us at 28!! The only concern now is what number to give him because I don't think they'd give him 21

7. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Ford, Jacoby 4.28

If we need a new special teams return guy like sproles jacoby ford clocked in at 4.28. He could be an underneath receiver if further developed too perhaps.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

I don't care much about the combine or about 40 times, I'm just using it to bolster the argument I've been making since November that Mathews is the better player.

Jahvid Best is Sproles + massive injury concerns. Not saying I wouldn't take a flyer on him if Spiller and Mathews are gone, but 28 is too high......in my meaningless opinion.:lol:

9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    LMFAO!!!! So because Matthews was .12 seconds faster in the 40 being 10 pounds lighter....Means he is better than Dwyer in EVERY SINGLE WAY?

Not hardly dude.

I try not to put as much stock in useless 40 times with no pads on when someone like Dexter McCluster ran a 4.55 at 175 lbs....

10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I like Matthews and think he would be a good fit, I also think Dwyer will be a good fit as well.

I am done arguing senselessly about who we are going to draft, because frankly not one person can say for a 100% guarantee until draft day.

Remember every year we get surprised by AJ, and im betting that he may surprise us again this year and not draft a RB in the first round.

Everything that goes from here on out depends on the compensation for a player or players that we move.

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    matthews also beat dwyer in bench press and other meaningful workout...

12. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lmao!! Here we go....

So let's try this again....And that makes him better in EVERY SINGLE WAY?

I have said it before and i'll say it again. Some of you put wayyyyyyyyyy to much stock in measurables and combine stats.

I am pretty sure that we draft RB's that become successful in the 4-6 rounds for a reason. It's because bench press, 40 times, cone drills, shuttles etc....Aren't the only thing that makes a football player.

If that were the case then nobody drafted after the 2nd round would ever be worth a ****....I am like many of you and think that Matthews would be a great fit here, however, I will go against almost all of you and say Dwyer will be good at the next level.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Hey man I never said he's better in every single way. I'm just saying he recorded better workouts. It was that otherdude that said that made him better in every way. From looking at all of matthews college footage though he looks like the better back to me. Then again he did play in the WAC:icon_shrug:

Anyway, anyone know of Joique Bell's 40 time?

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Bell ran in the high 4.6s.

15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    ouch. Well looks like he went down alot. He was predicted to run low 4.4 by alot of scouts!!!

Gerhart ran a faster time than that!!! Gerhart>Bell. I wouldn't be surprised if denver drafter Bell though, they have already had like 3 other bells in the last 5 years.... In fact it seems like denver drafts at least 2 rbs every year. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted 3 or 4 more this year and released moreno and buckhalter for the hell of it.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Watch the videos dude, what matters is that it shows clearly on tape as well. Dwyer has that long gaite and heavy feet, and plays in the RB equivalent of a spread offense. Hes the Tim Tebow of RBs.

We're at opposite ends of the spectrum you and I. I'd consider him with nothing higher than our pick at 60.

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Same. He never impressed me that much. I think blount would be a way better pick than Dwyer as far as skill is concerned.

18. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lol, yes we are at different ends of the spectrum DUDE......

And and pick 60 would be fine with me....That just means we would go after someone other than a RB at #28....

That right there would make me very happy whether we get Dwyer or not.

I really don't care who we get because in this style of offense they are not going to be a showcase back.

I'll take Toby Gerhart over Matthews or Dwyer right now based on his combine showing.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Here's a name you SHOULD remember

Ben Tate RB Auburn
    5'10 220
    22 reps

"A tough, physical runner who consistently lowers his shoulders and drives his legs at the end of carries. Shows very good competitiveness as a runner. Has had some trouble with ball security and needs to improve in this area as a senior. "

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    So adrian peterson with a lower running style?

21. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I'll be mildly surprised if AJ picks a RB in the first round, unless we end up with two picks in the first round.

22. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    So Best beat Spiller.... :yes:

23. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Best got the best Rb 40 time i guess.

24. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Why haven't I heard of Ben Tate? His name never comes up when we talk running backs. He kicked butt at the combine.

The most surprising RB at the combine other than Tate; Montario Hardesty! He's way more athletic than I thought he was. He must be the very definition of the term "Workout Warrior"

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    My 5 RB's:

Spiller
    Matthews
    Best
    Tate
    Gerhart

The last three impressed the hell out of me today. Spiller is gone EARLY in the first round. Blount looked awkward & slow. He ain't worth the hype, IMHO. McCluster was disappointing.

If Matthews is gone, then I'm happy with any of the remaining three. Acee said that 8 RB's might be gone before our 2nd round pick. I tend to believe him. With that said, I think the Chargers will go RB 1st round.

26. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I like that group. I really wanna see gerheart in SD. He is a very hardworker too!!!

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's a good strong inside runner, decent speed, loves to just barrel over people and doesn't dance or mess around behind the line of scrimmage. He fits that bill of a later round running back (3rd-4th round) and the style we need, with a career to match in the tough SEC.

Don't forget him, I get the feeling he might fit the bill for what AJ's looking for.

Though I do like Gerhart alot too

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I've thought for a while now that there will be a big run on rb's in the 2nd round. Thats why somehow we need a middle to early 2nd round pick.

I could live with getting matthews with our 28th pick. Spiller will be long gone. But the rest are really second rounders. Even best. He's not an everydown back.

Okay. Tate might be matthews equal. So I could live with tate as well at pick 28 if there is no way we can get an early to middle 2nd round pick. WE really need one or two good rb's in this draft.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    or 3?