1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Comcast to charge for carrying NFL Network

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 11, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Full article

NEW YORK (AP) — Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable television operator, can distribute the NFL Network as niche programming instead of as part of a bigger digital package with many more viewers, a judge has ruled, potentially costing the league millions of dollars a month in revenue.
    The NFL owns the network, which broadcasts live out-of-market games and also carries original professional football programming.

The NFL sued in October after Comcast notified the league that it had decided to put the network on a sports tier with about 750,000 viewers, moving it from a digital tier seen by more than 7 million of its 24 million cable customers. A tier carries a specific type of programming and is available to customers at an additional price over the cost of basic programming.

The NFL opposed the switch because under an agreement between the two companies, Comcast had to pay the league 55 cents per subscriber each month. With the loss of viewers, the NFL would earn significantly less money.

It was unclear if the NFL Network would appeal Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Bernard J. Fried's May 4 ruling, which was made public Thursday. A telephone message left with the network's lawyer was not immediately returned.

Click the link for the full article.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Isn't this what Time Warner Cable wanted to do?

Can't help but think this is a "screw you" response by the cable companies to the NFL for being locked out of NFL Sunday Ticket package.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I love my Sunday Ticket, and my free NFL Network.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Damn right, do you know how much money Comcast will make now? Im surprised they didnt make this move earlier.

This is great news for me, now I dont have to switch to dish.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Same here! :yes:

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Me three .......

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Everyone getting NFL Network on cable should be angry at this ruling. This will eventually also trickle down to satellite, if it hasn't already.

Why? Because, this ruling is a precedent allowing cable networks to charge you extra for NFL Network.

Before this ruling, NFL Network was part of digital cable, at no extra cost. That's what the NFL wanted, NFL Network to be included by default as part of all digital cable, with no extra charge for the consumer. Now, the cable companies can add the channel as a feature of some Sports package, and charge digital cable subscribers money to get it.

So, whereas before you were paying say, $50 a month for digital cable and getting NFL Network as part of the package, you'll now have to pay the same $50 per month for digital cable, and then an extra $10 or $15 per month for the added Sports package which includes NFL Network. If you don't pay the additional charge for the Sports package, you don't get NFL Network.

We digital cable subscribers just got phucqed.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I hate the whole "bundling" of channels.

9. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I disagree, the NFL was charging the cable companies a ton for them to carry it. The cable companies should be allowed to pass on the cost to the consumers who actually want that product.

10. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    How do you know this? What's a "ton"? How does the price to carry the NFL Network compare to that of ESPN's or the Disney channel's?

I'm thinking the cable companies can and should pass on the cost to advertisers, not customers. When Time Warner dropped NFL Network, they lost me to Verizon FIOS (which has been great).

Wonder Slug is right... if this ruling stands, sooner or later we'll ALL be paying extra for NFL Network... or even worse, there will not be a NFL Network.

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just got another reason to dump Comcast. :tdown:

I just read the other day that Comcast has "invisible" download limits on their "unlimited" internet service. They classify you as a bandwidth hog if you do too much downloading. One problem with that is they won't tell anyone what the limit is. The other problem is that they're misrepresenting what they sell as "unlimited" internet access, when it really isn't.

In my opinion, Comcast is the worst cable/internet company I've ever dealt with professionally or personally.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Comcast isn't the only ISP that controls your internet bandwidth. They've been doing it for years.

I SAY STICK I THE MAN!!!

get the dish and DSL

!!

13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :yes: :yes:

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I have planned to get Direct TV w/ the NFL Sunday ticket when football season starts anyway. May come sooner than that.

• Like Like x 1