1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Come A.J., Sign Somebody!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Mar 4, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The suspense is killing me! Do SOMETHING in Free Agency A.J.!!!

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd settle for a restructured LT contract and a couple of extensions (Rivers, Merriman, et.)

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Reasons like this I'm glad fans don't run the team

and that's not a slight on you LT21, I don't like the "well don't just stand there, do something" approach

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Sign me, sign me.

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    LOL!!!

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    DITTO

7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I see your point and I agree with you 100% Ant.

But with all the questions and issues we had for this off season all we have managed to do is franchise a backup RB and let a couple of starters go to free agency. I sympathize LT21's frustration.

The queefs are getting better with their moves and they gave us a lot of issues last year in crucial games. Plus the donkeys are looking a little better as well, besides the cutler crap.

8. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    forget jermaine phillips, smith needs to sign somebody from miami. the team needs someone from the U to straighten out these off the field issues. i was confusing jermaine phillips with philip buchanon previously. unfortunately buchanon signed with detroit. until a hurricane comes it will be the curse of carlos joseph

ps forget jermaine phillips

9. mizzouchargerfan

mizzouchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    how long you been a fan? AJ doesn't do anything for about the first 2 weeks, then he starts to weed through what's left, such as Foley, Goff, guys like that. Be patiet my young friend.:abq1:

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    AJ is dogmatic, and his hubris may cause this team to never win the whole enchilada.

I disagree, while I wouldn't want an impetuous GM (or other decision maker) ala owner AL Davis, who just signs anyone. Free Agency might fill some holes, it might not, but the draft could take forever to develop someone. AJ just will not engage in free agency, whether another player could really help or not, and he has made that abundantly clear. I am a lowly fan who doesn't run an NFL team, but it seems logical to at least entertain all avenues to help this team.

Fouts

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    To sign someone, who is he going to release?

There is not that much money left in the pot, and we still have to deal with the draft.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    How about matt wilhelm or clinton hart?

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks for throwing me under the bus Ant! Just kidding man. You know how impatient I get. I just want to open up Bolttalk and at least see a post that reads: Chargers Sign _________. Yeah, be glad I don't run the team, or we would have signed BMW. Then again, I did get it right with Merriman, Cro and McNeil.....:yes:

14. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" down at the Chargers complex just to see what they are working on...but true to form, the fans wont know squat until the press releases start hitting.

I sure would not want to be across a poker table from AJ!!!

Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Chiefs benefited from Belichick's need to phuc over McDaniels & Mangini. That's the ONLY reason that both Cassell & Vrabel were available for a 2nd - 34th pick overall.

Who is AJ gonna grab? Vernon Carey & Jordan Gross are gone. So are Canty & Antonio Smith. Peppers? Not a chance. Roy Williams? Please no. Lewis? Back to Baltimore. Scott? Hello, New York. Same for Leonhard.

We wait. We see what happens with LT & any extensions. And we dream of the draft ....... :icon_banana:

Please. But I don't think that will happen until they get beat out in TC, if at all.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    *sigh*

Another offseason and FA signing period, same old tired "OMFG WHY ISN'T AJ SIGNING ANYONE?!??!?!??!" rants.

How to FA SIGNING PERIOD as done by AJ SMITH:

Kick back
    Crack a beer
    LOL @ other teams throwing insane money at guys
    Wait for the dust to settle
    Sign a few mid tier guys here and there to fill gaps in roster
    Read all the WTF WHO IS ______ posts on the interwebs and in the newspaper

Relax guys.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Well for now I would like to sign Sean Jones so we don't get any bright ideas about moving Cason to safety, maybe bert berry as someone to rotate in. Think he could be a great role player as he has a fair amount of pass rush skills. But yeah we don't have to do what the jets or the broncos and sign a ton of players. We just need a few pieces and frankly of AJ hits
    Some aces like he can (and he should have the incentive to take his game back up) then we could solve most of our problems with this draft and One or two key free agents. And as far as wilhelm an hart go, I can hope but it seems like Rivera likes wilhelm and hart couldve been released and shouldve but didn't. That probably means they both stick around.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

SHAUN CODY!!!

19. Bolts 74'

Bolts 74' BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    What do you want him to do just sign a name?like the Skins or maybe like the Donkeys 30 RB's because they were short last year or 6 guys over 30.A.J knows what he's doin' he needs to take care of what he has.Why do you think L.T has not resigned?I think Burnett and Mike Brown yes i said it Mike Brown will come aboard soon.We will draft Knowshon and trade up for a 2nd rounder,like every year will give next years away.

P.S I hate to say it but bye,bye L.T thanx for the memories.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Phillips might have made a difference a safety, but there is nobody out there who is going, to say, make a difference equivalent to adding a clutched supercharger to a big engine. The healthy people we are getting back onto the roster are going to make us better. The people we have on the roster who we can resign will help us more than anyone on the market that we can fit under the cap.

21. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...It's beyond mid tier guys now. We're down to bottom feeding. It's not like the Chargers are set with questions at nose tackle, ILB, safety, RB and even DE. No one in here relishes the idea of OVERPAYING but for a team with holes...AJ is standing way too pat!

22. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I Agree....

:cool:

23. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    AJ is ultra conservative with regards to FA. While it is safe, I do question whether our ability to step to the next level of teams is impacted by this decision.

24. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    OK ... what would you like to see.

Before the draft, here is what I'd like to see:

1. LT signing a cap friendly 4 year contract that buys us reasonable salaries in years 2/3 in exchange for a bonus that increases his overall payout this year.

2. Philip Rivers signs a long term contract that secures his position as the Charger QB for a very long time.

NOTE: Preferably both these contracts use the available cap space this year TO free up cap room in years 2 and 3.

3. Add 1 or 2 second level FA's at RT, ILB, S, or FB.

S - James Butler (Giants), Mike Brown (Bears)
    OT - Khalif Barnes (Jaguars)
    ILB - Kevin Barnett (Cowboys)
    FB - Mike Karney (Saints), Justin Griffith (Raiders)

I don't want to see a massive FA contract signing. In reality, I view keeping Sproles as a major positive even if he stays on the FA tag for only 1 year. Personally believe that those dollars should be reserved for Rivers, Merriman, McNeil, and maybe Sproles long term.

I'm not upset about the lack of activity at all though I would like to see some Randall Godfrey/Steve Foley type signings. I'd be perfectly content with taking a risk on Mike Brown and molding Paul Oliver as our SS of the future.

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

YOUR 2009 San Diego Chargers!!!!

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think some of you dissatisfied Charger fans should look into becoming Redskins fans. Little Danny will sign guys for you EVERY year, big names.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And I think fans like you should become Raiders fans. Old Al will turn an elite team into a train wreck and sign the worst coaches possible!!!
    Not to mention... all they talk about is how great they were in the past, like it's suppose to help justify poor performance on the field today. THAT'S RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY!!! :yes:

28. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    That's because he doesn't have to resign any of his draft picks.