1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Comeback Player of the Year — Antonio Cromartie, Chargers CB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The Scheiners: 2009 NFL award predictions

by Adam Schein
    September 3, 2009

I love the prediction business.

I know you'll e-mail now and in January and remind me just how wrong I am. It's OK. Bring it on.

As one of the 50 voters for the Associated Press awards in these categories, there was a lot of thought put into these selections. I am excited to hopefully be ahead of the curve on two breakout all-stars on offense and defense for 2009.

We introduce the best of the best in the NFL with Schein's fifth annual preseason awards on FOXSports.com.

MVP — Aaron Rodgers, Packers QB

I wish he wasn't tearing it up in the preseason, basically having a perfect August. I was hoping Rodgers would fly under the radar so I could shock the world.
    Brett Favre, eat your heart out.
    It's Aaron Rodgers time.
    When you go back and think of everything Rodgers went through last year, 2008 was truly impressive, dealing with the Favre hangover drama and a porous defense. And yet through it all, Rodgers passed for 4,038 yards and 28 touchdowns, and completed 64 percent of his passes.
    I think the touchdowns and completion percentage will only go up. Rodgers will get balance with a bounce-back year from Ryan Grant. And he has the deepest 1 through 5 group at wide receiver in the league, highlighted by the explosive Greg Jennings and the consistent Donald Driver. Plus, Jermichael Finley adds some potential sizzle at tight end.
    Rodgers went through ups and downs at the end of ball games and I firmly believe he is ready to even out his play down the stretch of contests. And it will be his play late in games that will help him become MVP.
    Rodgers proved himself as the true leader of the Pack last year and into this offseason, where his dedication to the program got rave reviews and will prove to be a spring board to greatness in 2009. Rodgers and head coach Mike McCarthy are on the same page and the quarterback serves as an extension of the coach on the field.
    I really think Aaron Rodgers blossoms into an elite player in 2009, guiding the Packers deep into the postseason and he will define the word value.
    Look for fellow QBs Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and a wild card named Tony Romo to also be in the hunt.

Offensive Player of the Year — Drew Brees, Saints QB

I've heard some people ask if Brees can do it again. I'm here to tell you that Brees will only be better.
    Think about it.
    Sean Payton is committed to balance (finally) and that will prevent teams from teeing up on Brees. Marques Colston is healthy. Lance Moore has a great rapport with Brees. Robert Meachem is having his best August as a pro.
    Statistically, where do you want to begin? 40 passing touchdowns? A 2-1 touchdown to interception ratio? 5,000 passing yards? I'll sign Brees up for all of the above. He's that good.
    Other choices are Rodgers, Chargers QB Philip Rivers, Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald, Patriots QB Tom Brady and Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.

Defensive Player of the Year — Haloti Ngata, Ravens DT

He is so underrated in the galaxy of stars in the Baltimore defense. But this year he gets out of the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed shadow.
    I voted for Ngata for first team All-Pro in the Associated Press awards last year. He was dominant. He's always commanded extra attention and still excelled. Under Rex Ryan, Ngata could be asked to drop back in coverage with his freakish athleticism. The 6-4, 340-pounder is a one-of-a-kind physical specimen.

But this year the Ravens will play more of a four-man front and Ngata will get to the quarterback. He told me in training camp he will sack the quarterback eight times. If he does that, with his ability to stop the run and change a game by demanding double teams on every play, Ngata will run away with the award.
    Special love to runner-ups Texans DE Mario Williams and LB DeMeco Ryans, Colts DE Dwight Freeney, Giants DE Justin Tuck and Panthers LB Jon Beason.

Coach of the Year — Ken Whisenhunt, Cardinals

Is it possible that last year's NFC champs are underdogs once again? It seems to be the case. I don't know anyone picking the Cards to repeat as conference champions. Some think 'Zona won't even win the West. Remember these comments when it comes to Coach of the Year voting and Whisenhunt aptly guides the Cardinals to at least 11 wins.
    Look, the playoff run wasn't a fluke. Whisenhunt made the Cardinals put the "big-boy pads" back on after the humiliating and humbling loss to New England in December. That's coaching.
    Even with the stars in the passing attack, Whisenhunt makes sure there is an emphasis on running the ball and defense.
    Whisenhunt will play the underdog card with his club all year long.
    New England's Bill Belichick, Green Bay's Mike McCarthy, New Orleans' Sean Payton and the Jets' Rex Ryan are other coaches to watch.

Offensive Rookie of the Year — Donald Brown, Colts RB

It's a bit of a risk here with Joseph Addai in the picture. But Brown is a total stud and ready-made to dominate. He has pure power, speed, a high football IQ, can pass protect and has a great attitude. All of the above is vital when you are playing with Peyton Manning. And remember how awful the Colts' running attack was last year? Addai was terrible in short-yardage situations, a strength for Brown. I think the former UConn star will supplant Addai by midseason and accumulate the necessary yards to win the award.
    Choosing this award was perhaps my biggest debate, with Arizona's stud running back, Chris "Beanie" Wells and Denver running back Knowshon Moreno a nose away.

Defensive Rookie of the Year — Aaron Curry, Seahawks LB

I truly think this cat is ready-made for the pro game. Jim Mora loves Curry and he'll be in a great position to accumulate tackles and stats. You can book him for 100 tackles in his first NFL season.
    I strongly considered Lions safety Louis Delmas, Rams LB James Laurinaitis and Redskins DE Brian Orakpo.

Comeback Player of the Year — Antonio Cromartie, Chargers CB

"Cro", as he has told me on several occasions, was never healthy last year with a hip injury. At 100 percent, Cromartie will pick off at least 10 passes this year and reclaim his rightful status as one of the elite cornerbacks in the NFL.

I know that Shawne Merriman, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck are the en vogue names for this award. And I get it.

But remember what Cromartie was before 2008 and just how awful he was last season while showing tremendous toughness. Cromartie knew that opposing teams didn't fully realize how hurt he was, so he tried to play through the immense pain.

Cromartie is a rare athlete and a true shutdown corner — and those traits, on display in 2007, will take over this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10015932/The-Scheiners:-2009-NFL-award-predictions

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    MVP Rodgers?

Really?

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Philip Rivers will beat Aaron Rodgers in the Superbowl.

We will have the Superbowl MVP.

(Cro won't pick off more than 5 this year - one more than the # of tackles he'll have :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I highly doubt Cromartie will even be in the running for that spot. All I see is Cro missing opportunities, especially tackles, all season. More than two picks, yes, but more than let's say 5 or 6, no way. And the tackles he's going to miss are going to be killer. I honestly think #20 will come trotting out as a starter sometime this season instead, and not because of injury.

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Cromartie would have to get 15 INT's to get that award.

I see either LT, or Brady getting that award, and most likely they (the media) will push for Brady to get it.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No doubt. Brady is already a lock for it in many minds. Could get MVP as well. :tdown:

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Fair. But if he gets 12+ ints many of these predicted mistakes will be overlooked.

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I still have yet to realize why people ride his jock when he is running around picking off passes for a whole year, then the next year they lose Merriman, he has an injured hip, there is no pass rush and all the sudden he sucks or wont return to form. Lmao, you guys really have to start looking outside of the box a bit.

I'm not going to get caught up in the "How many INT's will Cro have this year" but for gods sakes give him a chance.

I mean 2 years ago everyone wanted him to play both sides of the ball because he was a game breaker now after one bad season with a garbage scheme and no pass rush everyone wants to run him off the field. :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this,

however Rivers will be the SB MVP!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The media crush on Brady is so strong that he could retire tomorrow and STILL be named the NFL's 2009 Comeback Player of the Year. :icon_shrug:

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That is a good point. I think we all want to see the Cromartie we had in 2007 but something, possibly the hip or possibly the vanilla piss-poor defensive scheme attributed to it, but something was certainly off about our 2008 model. So we're being realistic, IMO, to assume that 2007 might have been a fluke but we're open, and definitely hoping, it's not.

Besides, I'm entitled to my opinion and IMO Cro has shown a serious lack of enthusiasm, intensity, and it has shown in a glaring fashion on the field. So I think Cromartie has lost his edge and will be relegated to a nickel safety this year. I think Antoine Cason will be a slight upgrade and bump him once it dawns on the coaching staff that Cro just ain't somethin' special anymore. Again, I would LOVE to be proven dead wrong.

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'd just like to see the dood tackle

:yes:

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If Brady does ANYTHING this year he will be Comeback Player of the Year. I believe the media has already awarded it to him, its just that they have to go through the formality of him actually playing the season. Kind of like when Peyton won the Super Bowl MVP despite having a pretty pedestrian game, and being less of a factor in the win than the running tandem of Addai and Rhodes. Peyton finally got to the big game, so all he had to do was show up and not lose. When you are a media darling, these awards are preordained.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :tup: He needs to make more of an impact on the field than just picking the ball, put a lick on someone mother****er.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I would wager that his willingness to tackle someone has been discussed at length with Rivera, along with how important that is to his future as a starter. On balance I'll take a guy who can deliver a game changer like a key interception even if he allows a few extra yards on a run. In any event, I am betting on LT being the comeback player because he is healthy and he's out to prove something. Jim Brown's comments are great locker room material.

16. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I'm afraid yer right...Remember Sheli got the MVP, too. And that's after almost losing the game on an easy int clinking off the defenders hands and then getting bailed out w/ a spectacular catch on an underthrown ball.
    I'll say it again. I'm expecting a huge year from the Cro, and I agree that Rivera's probably talked to him, too. The forearm shiver in the Atlanta game makes me think he's gonna be more physical this year...although the arm sweep on Atlanta's first td ticked me off.

Later

17. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Never happen. Cro is still playing awful through 4 games.:tdown:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :lol: @ predictions

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Cromartie knew he'd have to fight to get the starting position and avoid getting cut, so he worked hard for it.
    Once he got it, he and Dion became buttys and now he's more interested in being a peacock.

Difference... Dion continued to play at a Pro Bowl level even though he was a peacock.

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Dion was never a pro bowl player.

That was your WWF/NFL hype talking.

Prime time my a55. :tdown:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I didn't like the guy either but he was great for what he did. When he went to the Cowboys, he seemed more dedicated and DID make tackles.

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah. IDK WHAT THE **** he's doing.

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Sure he was.:yes:

Deion Sanders
    Deion Luwynn Sanders

Position: DB-WR
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 195 lbs.
    Born: August 9, 1967 in Fort Myers, FL
    College: Florida State

Career AV: 114 (53rd overall since 1950)

8-time Pro Bowler & 6-time First-Team All-Pro

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandDe00.htm