1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Comfortable at Kicker?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2007.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Many of you know (previously from the SDUT forum) that I am not yet (still) not sold on our kicker Nate. Does anyone still have any doubts about us at this position or is it all in my head (no voices yet)? :icon_shrug:

2. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Absolutely. Great stats, but what you need in a kicker is a level head during pressure situations. Up to this point, I can't say he's been that guy. What's more aggravating is that NE found themselves a nice kicker in the latter rounds last year. The kid seemed solid when it counted.
    I still question our use of a 3rd rounder for him when we could have picked up as much production from a vet kicker in FA these past couple of years with the same potential for a choke.

Keep in mind I'm using my 20/20 hindsight vision. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am comfortable.

Plus Tweety called me ...actually he was hanging out a window in front of Chargers park as they passed by our tailgater to play something on the trumpet ....:lol: Seriously.

I think Nate is ok and just needs to smoke a fattie before he kicks a FG. Dude is the **** so cut him a husk for one more year, maybe two.

I would be the first on board if a player sucked asss but I just do not sniff any hints of man-gina with anvil head.

Not yet. :bolt:

4. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Too much caca in the head during pressure situations though...no? :icon_shrug:

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Nate has made some game winning field goals. Don't forget that LUCK factors into the game of football.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Nate's cool, he should be just coming into his own about now. This coming year defines him though, either he makes the difficult kicks or he packs his bags. No more playoff fuc-ups.:bolt2:

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Jets game, yeah he could have made it.

This last game I sat in my seat and said out loud "we are too far away". I do not blame that last kick against the Pats on Nate. It was a long asss kick so I give him the doubt. During the season he was nails. He will get the monkey off his back. I really have faith he will come through and not talking **** either. Bad breaks and that is the way it goes but i have my eye on his **** no doubt.

I am not ready to relegate him to the **** pile with the rest of the turds who pissed me off. Not yet. I am not even close but .......

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think he is on the hot seat ..

9. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    With smoke visible...

:yes:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :yes: I agree, Nate is allright by me. For now.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I am completely comfortable with Nate as our kicker. He has been fairly automatic when we are in "his range".

I've forgiven him for the miss against the Jets (even though it was a makeable kick), I felt it was too hard of a situation to put him in. Wet field, overtime, for the win, in his first playoff game ever. I'm still mad at Marty for not continuing to move the ball instead of the 3 dives then kick strategy. F'n Martyball crap.

Against NE, simply, it was too long of a kick. Period.

12. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    yes i do, hes great in regular season but he cant give us those 3 points we need in the playoffs our last 2 appearences. Frankly im disappointed especially after the year he had this year.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Bottom line, if we played our game in both those games, we're not here arguing if Nate is capable or not. We would have smoked both those teams, but what can you do?

14. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The Jets kick, he should have made. Yeah, he was a rookie, it was wet, it was pressure... but NFL kickers make those. Still, I forgave him for that.

The Pats kick was from ludicrous range and I don't blame him for that one at all.

I'm pretty comfortable with Nate right now. I just hope those misses don't mess with his head too much.

15. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    It was makeable and it should have been made. No need to make excuses for him.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You're right. We should cut him and find another kicker.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw Rolf Benershke miss in a double overtime FG in a Dolphins game with a colostomy bag hanging off his asss and he finally won the game. (maybe they had the bag off his *** but he was pretty much phucked)

Rolf Benershke won the game on a FG.

18. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

ahah 54 yarder in the playoffs that not even adam v has made one that far, lol yah no excuses

19. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

dude sucks balls homie, how many more chances you want to give him?! get off the dudes nuts chulo!

20. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Damm Dude look at this guy! Brother is rollin Dirty!

21. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I didn't say we should fire him .. I'm just saying he is on the hot seat. I keep hearing how good he was in college and watched his kick video. I just wish he could bring that with him to the playoffs.

I'll give you that the Pats game was a stretch for him but there is no excuse for missing the FG at the Jets game.

22. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +334
    Haha, just bough the ride a month ago. 2007 Charger R/T. 5.7 HEMI, 340 horses. The blue is almost the right Charger color. Almost Power Blue. :abq2: :helm1: :abq1:

23. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I know i got pics in my email haha

24. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +334
    Now I feel stupid. I forgot you were on my email I sent out when I got it. :huh:

25. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    nate is the most overrated player on our team

The guy has an below average leg strength and no clutchness in him

Dont get me wrong, inside 45 yards in the middle of a game, hes pretty money, but if the kick is over 45 yards, or if the game is on the line, id almost rather have Wide Richey kicking

Aj needs to bring in a late round pick again this year to challenge Nate

26. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    The Jets game was now coming on 3 years ago, he was a rookie........he has been fine, made the Pro Bowl......missing a 54 yarder does not constitute being on the Hot Seat. Start another thread when he misses another from inside 50 in the clutch, he has made a few in the clutch in the regular season (against Colts and Ravens come to mind)...they weren't game winners (but the Ravens was 50+)...but they were clutch. I think he will be fine under pressure, and if Marty would have let him kick a 48 yarder instead of going for it on 4th and 11, we might have our first Lombardi right now.

27. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    He is fine!!!! what? How do you figure?

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't know if Nate has been mailing the Kool-Aid out to the fans or what. but for some reason you have a ton of people who refuse to see that he's a choker.

I have never seen so many people make so many excuses for a particular player. Hell you can probably say that LT has lost a step and not get nailed by the fans as much as you would if you told them that Nate wasn't as good as they thought.

You'll get every excuse in the book thrown at you. The field goal was too long, the weather was bad, his second cousins fathers uncle broke his finger, his dog had puppies, his mom is going through menopause. Anything to get you away from the fact that he missed a kick that a truly good kicker would make.

All I have to say is, if you're not happy with the guy, bring it up. I think there are a lot of us out there who don't think he's that great but are uneasy about voicing their opinions due to public opinion.

29. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    When has he won the game for us? I'm not being sarcastic or baiting you. I'm just wondering if you knew the specific games. I don't remember him winning any games for us last year. Maybe the year before.