1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to SD in December, Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AcidReflux, Dec 1, 2008.

1. AcidReflux

AcidReflux BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm making the trek from the frozen bowl of Alberta this December. I want to make this trip a memorable one, a lot better than my last one to SD. This will be my Wife's first NFL game and true NFL experience so I want her to see how awesome it is. So I need some advice or suggestions please, if you will be so kind to help me out.

1. Tailgating - give me the low down, dos and don'ts. When to arrive, what I can bring with me on the grounds, any tents I need to check out, etc.

2. I will be in SD for New Year's any cool bars to check out? My Wife, my Uncle and I want to hit a place that has a mature crowd and good times. Any suggestions in the Gaslamp?

3. Anyone know if there are tours of the Chargers Practice facility or of Qualcomm? Or any other Chargers stuff I can partake in? I have tried contacting the Chargers Office 4 times and have received no reply to any my emails. Which disappoints me.

4. Other cool stuff to do that is not mainstream (Seaworld, Lego Land, Zoo, etc) I'm looking for some hidden gems.

Thanks guys!

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    1) We meet at the time the parking lot opens between F-3 and G-3 and down the row from the Budweiser Power Party. bring $10 and some beer and/or munchies you'd like. Beyond that, be friendly and have a good time

2) If you like jazz then Croce's.

3) No tours of Charger Park, they might still do tours of the Q but I haven't done that in years so you might have to contact Qualcomm Stadium directly

4) Cabrillo Point is a bit touristy but no place in San Diego can match it in views

3. AcidReflux

AcidReflux BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help Anteater.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you enjoy experiencing close-up animal experiences, go to the Wild Animal Park. We spent the extra money to take the Photo Safari & found it to be well worth it. After you finish up there, head into Escondido & do the brewery tour & tasting at Stone Brewing.

We stayed in Old Town & found it very convenient for taking the trolley to the game, various eateries, & general public transportation.

And the 'gater is great!! :tup:

5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    If you don't have scads of time, or if transportation is a problem, Balboa Park, which includes the SD Zoo, is worth a visit. The GasLight District is a must for bars and restaurants.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Spend your money on good seats that give you full access to the bar/club area. :yes:

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If you like Mexican food, hit any of the San Diego Taco shops, they are trully unique to SAN DIEGO... Carne Asada burrito.... :tup:

Usually end in Bertos...

Albertos Taco shop

Robertos Taco shop

Gilibertos Taco shop

Or

Sombreros Taco shop

Nicos Taco shop

just a few.

8. AcidReflux

AcidReflux BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    All are awesome suggestions. Thanks a lot. We are staying at the Holiday Inn on the Bay so it's close to the Gaslight district and trains. Thanks again guys! Anything else? LOL