1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Commish pledges funds for Vikings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reddenedbeard, May 17, 2011.

1. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    To generate sympathy, SD just needs a massive snowstorm to collapse the roof...er...walls...er...we're ******.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That will only prompt the league to move the Chargers to LA. Vikings area regional asset in the leagues eyes. The Chargers could move to LA and still be a regional asset for southern cali in the leagues eyes

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Sure the Chargers could move to LA, but it will lose a huge fan base. Now the question is, can they get the number of fans back up there?

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally disagree that they would lose a ton of fans, especially if they infomred the fans that they only moved because after 10 years to trying to get something done, and having road block after road block put in their was throughout SD county, they had no choice but to go to LA. They will still be the only team in So Cal, so the vast majority of fans would continue to support them as their "regional team"

They may lose a few, but not even close to the majority of the SD fan base

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    nobody can argue with LA's success in keeping nfl teams.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If the Bolt's move it's the City's own fault. I'll still watch them play.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So it is the city's fault that both team that they had had crazy owners? Neither team had an issue with fan support

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Totally agree

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Uhh the Rams couldn't draw in the city so moved to OC and still couldn't draw well in the 80s and 90s
    the Raiders had enthusiasm in the 80s with Jackson/Allen etc but in the early 90s they were atrocious and no one showed up
    They also HAD the Chargers at one point at no one attended

LA has great fan support ONLY when they win and win consistency. As soon as they start to fade it dries up immediately

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    crazy owners maybe but more likely it was they both wanted new stadiums and neither got one.

sound familiar?

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Neither team moved due to attendance. They moved because they were playing in crappy stadiums, which is the same reason the Chargers would leave SD. If LA gets a new stadium, they will get multiple teams, one of which will likely be the Chargers

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yep. Now with different leadership in LA and private companies ponying up to help out, a stadium will get done and LA will get 2 teams

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    LA has the quintessential bandwagon fair-weathered fan base. When their team is doing well (whatever sport), then turn out in big numbers, since it's the "place to be seen". As soon as that team goes on an extended losing streak, the fans vanish.

Like Eric Dickerson said, LA doesn't deserve another NFL team..... they never supported the ones they had. Before Kobe and Shaq, there was nobody attending Lakers games either. There are many cities where the fans will turn out, no matter how their team is doing at that moment...... LA isn't one of those cities.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Not quite accurate. Both owners wanted brand new state-of-the-art stadiums, more importantly with (more) luxury boxes that they could make substantially more money off of, fully-funded by the community. Al got into a pissing match with the Colisseum Commission (which is state-owned, not civic) over getting said luxury boxes as well as swapping the bench-seats around the upper bowl into individual, backed seats. Thing is, he was doing this at a time when Los Angeles was also making a push for another Olympic bid (up against Atlanta for the '96 games) but that would require keeping the layout the way it was to be conducive for use in Olympic track events and larger capacity over marketability and comfort (There's a reason why, when Atlanta hosted the games, that next to nothing for the Olympics aside from things like wrestling, judo, and powerlifting at the Georgia Dome).

Georgia never had the relationship with the city of Anaheim (she had no power when they were in LA, but they were playing out of the Colisseum so they would have effectively been in the same position the Raiders were there) that her late husband had, but she was also not willing to put one red cent towards getting a new stadium built. She clung to the old school belief - until such a time at least as her hometown of St. Louis was in the picture - that the city should fully fund any new venue. Then came the conspicuous running of a Conference Championship team into rags that was like something straight out of the movie Major League. We're talking moves that almost make Bobby Beathard look smart. They traded Kevin Greene (you know, that guy whose likely getting into the HOF either this year or the next) in his prime and coming off an All-Pro season for relative peanuts. They ran their league-leading offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese out on a rail and replaced him with the equivalent of a modern day Art Shell. And this went on for the better part of a decade (we're pretty much talking an equivalent of the past decade of the Raiders up until last season). Revolving door at quarterback. No truly marketable stars - and any that they had were usually trying to force their way out. Ownership crapping all over past tradition. And then when she tried to move the team initially (she initially tried to go to Cleveland after the Browns left) the owners voted it down, citing her questionable claims of the franchise "not being profitable" because of how she'd been running things, and she had to (quite literally) bribe the other owners with portions of the PSL's from the new Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis in order to get them to vote for that move to go through.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Can you really say that San Diego isn't the same way?

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Look. Getting Angelinos and San Diegans to see eye-to-eye on almost anything is like getting the Israelies and the Palestinians to do so. I get it. But you're spouting carbon-copy propaganda (bad word, but it gets my point across). I suppose those weren't Dodger fans (and yes I hate them too) that were still showing up last season and this season when the team was pitiful without any hope of competing because their owner and his ex-wife were more concerned about measuring ****s than they were about making the funds available to retain their own players or improve their team new additions. When the Kings were shells of their former selves, they still got support. The Angels have started slumping and doing all manner of telling their fans they'll do one thing and then failing to meet those promises, and yet they're still doing just fine in terms of attendance - especially given that we're in a recession and record unemployment for the region.

LA has plenty moronic fans, but the beauty of morons is that they get so wrapped up in "being a fan" and "identifying as a fan" that even when the team is struggling they still represent. We're also talking about a much larger demographic in terms of "the LA market" these days. Back in the 80's and 90's there hadn't been anywhere close to the development in Riverside or San Bernardino counties - or really certain portions of Orange County as well. That's A LOT more people to draw from.

Like I said, for the most part, we'll never get San Diegans to like Angelinos or vice versa. It's an ingrained hatred, much like the sort of racism that comes with being raised in the Deep South - it's there whether you recognize it or not. But to classify an entire city as "bandwagon" fans is absurd.

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the bottom line here is that ownership wanted better facilities. they wouldn't play Monday night games in the coliseum because of the questionable neighborhood!

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The Eric Dickerson quote.......

His words, not mine. ;)

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    FIFY

Rag on the Spanos' for being money-grubbing NorCal-ites, but at least they still sink more money into the San Diego community than Al Davis or Georgia Frontiere ever did in LA.

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

you'll get no argument here, I'm just sayin the problems between the cities sound familiar.

ownership excluded

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And? ED has flipflopped from interview to interview. He's pretty much another Michael Irvin or Prime Time where he'll say whatever he needs to to get attention and or to get people to keep listening to him. You did conveniently leave out the part where he's stated that he does believe LA is going to get another football team in the near future, though.

I'd also point out that when there hasn't been a team in the market for nearly 20 years and that on average 4 million babies are born a year in the U.S. and that 6% of the US population lives in the LA region... you do the math. That's A LOT of new Angelinos that weren't even alive when the the Rams and Raiders left, let alone when Dickerson played for either of them (we're talking a quarter century since Dickerson played a snap for the Rams).

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You're VASTLY underestimating LA growth by extrapolating from US average.
    Course that supports your point even more ;)

Still a lot of folks from LA call it a Raiders town.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yep, still a lot of Raiders fans in LA......... more than anywhere else outside of Oakland, I'd dare to say. ;)

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Don't sweat it, I was just winding you up......... Nice to see there's still a little passion in the LA fan base. ;)

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Actually, much I'm sure to Eric Dickerson's chagrin, the LA fan base that would likely unite behind any future LA franchise would be former Rams fans and just general newbies. Halloween is usually a pretty good indicator of where a lot of allegiances lie because kids are just lazy and will wear whatever jersey of the team they back and say they're "that players" so that they can go trick or treating (even those that are in my classes, sadly, just to try and get free candy). The appeal of the Raiders is really more of the old school crowd, the people who either were LA Raider fans themselves or whose parents were. Outside of kids of Raiders fans, you don't find as many new (as in new since they moved) Raider fans springing up around here - and the ones that are typically claim at least one other team, so they're very likely easily swayed if a local franchise were to come to be.

The Raiders sucking for the better part of a decade hasn't exactly helped them maintain and gain fans in the LA area.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Are you suggesting that a new stadium wouldn't fix that problem? ;)

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Just like in SD.

30. impgard

impgard BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    This is true. The Raiders drew around 50,000 or more the last few years there. Al Davis left because of stadium issues, primarily the lack of luxury suites. He had an agreement with the Coliseum Commission to build a ring of luxury suites around the top of the stadium, but that never got done. That's when he began to look at other sites, but LA officials killed the other local options...like they have done so in the past.

When Al realized that the Coliseum did not have the political will to come through with the luxury suites, he realized his only move was back to Oakland...and we all know how well that went...they are last in attendance in 2010.

Los Angeles can support an NFL team. It wasn't for lack of fan support why the Rams and Raiders left. But Los Angelenos won't spend money on a team that doesn't put a winning product on the field. That's why I question the Maloof's intention on bring the Kings to LA. There's just too many other good alternatives to spend your hard earned dollars than on a team that loses. I mean would you rather spend yoru money on the crappy *** Dodgers or some losing team, when you could spend the same money watching the Lakers.

LA has good sports fans...we support more professional sports teams than any other city, plus UCLA and USC. We just don't need another "Clippers" or another owner like Davis, Frontiere...we are still trying to get rid of the McCourts.