1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Compensitory Picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by LT-Express, Jan 11, 2008.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +346
    Just so you guy's know how compensitory picks work!

I'd say if we get a pick for Donnie it will no higher than 5th probably a 6th!

These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft.

2. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    You failed to explain why you think the Bolts will not get a third round selection for Edwards.

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    Ahh sorry was looking at it based on donnie's contract and he signed a 3 /13.5 million....Which would put him at about the 5th round pick status.....There are other factors but compensitory picks are hard to gage! But a 3rd probably out of the question!

4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The pick should be based on playing time as well as contract. You want to look at how his contract stacks up vs the league avg that will determine what comp pick the Bolts get.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    We wont get a 3rd round comp pick for Donnie.

I posted something about this a while ago and showed last years FA's and what they got for contracts and compared it to what Donnie got this year and it is in the range of around a 5th round comp pick for teams who were awarded them in that round.
    We may get a 4th but that imo is the best we will get and that would be lucky.

Playing time does factor in but the guys that got bigger contracts than Donnie surely werent sitting on the bench. Some may even have got probowl nods ( i havent went back to look) which also factors in but it is the contract they signed that seems to be the biggest factor.

There were 4, 3rd round comp picks last year that were awarded and those guys got way bigger contracts that what Donnie got.

6. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223

It isn't the contract but the contract for the position. QB always has a larger contract but he may in fact not play a down. Donnie played led his team in tackles now the issue is was his contract in the top 10 % for his position?

That will determine along with any off setting F.A. signings which we did not have. I have not done any homework so I don't know where we stand but I would guess we will get a 3 or a 4th pick for him.

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346

Actually Napoleon Harris led the team in tackles, with 123...Donnie had 108 and Derrick Johnson had 107!

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223

How does Donnie stack up vs other OLB if that is where he played I must admit I did not follow the Chiefs the point is you look at

1) contract in comparision to others who play the same position.

2) performance at the position did he rank in top 10% at that position? 20% ,30% ext

That is basically the secret formula that is used to determine the comp picks. 3-4, 5th ext

9. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    Ya I know RM thats why I said in that post that there are other factors in the formula but based on $$ he would qualify as 5th maybe 6th rounder.....

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    You are not correct. It does not matter what possitions they play and it isnt contract by possition. You have to lose more FA's than you sign to qualify and it doesnt matter what possitions they play.

I go to KFFL in the draft forum all the time. There is a poster there (AdamJT13) who predicts comp picks every year. He is very good at it and tho he isnt 100% dead on, he is pretty close most of the time.
    He makes very detailed posts complete with explanations, players acquired and lost, what they signed for, how much , etc, etc....

I have posted a handful of his posts on the matter to give everyone else an idea of how comp picks work because as i said, it is very detailed.

Based on what he has posted and what contracts players have gotton............Donnie slides into about a 5th round comp pick....possibly a 4th if we are lucky.

Just to clarify..first i have never read anywhere that it is based off of player per possition and also AdamJT13 has never mentioned it either.

It doesnt matter if a kicker got a 2 mill per year contract for 5 years and is the highest paid at his possition.....Turner will get more as a FA and will bring a higher comp pick even if he is the 20th highest at his possition and we lost more players than we signed.

I will give you this from his last years thread on it and this was him talking about 2006 as this projection was for 2007 which the numbers were higher:

Last year, regardless of playing time or postseason honors, the only third-round comp player got $5.51 million per season, fourth-round comp players got $4.167 million to $5.004 million, fifth-round comp players got $3.491 million to $4.375 million, sixth-round comp players got $1.706 million to $3.04 million, and seventh-round players got $1 million or less. Note that the upper range for seventh-rounders is misleading because none of last year's comp picks were for players who signed for between $1 million and $1.7 million per season. In 2005, three of the seventh-round comp picks were for players who signed for between $1.5 million and $1.75 million per season.

Donnie got a 3 year 14 million deal for an average of 4.6 mill a year. Not bad but if you look at where players fall in his post, he falls around the 5th round zone with a shot at possibly us getting a 4th.

If you would like to see last years thread on it for 2007, here you go