1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Computer data protection advice...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2006
    As a self proclaimed uber computer geek, I'd like to make a suggestion...

Given that many people have their entire lives in their computers (financial info, pictures, music, etc.), go get yourself an external hard disk and a copy of Symantec Ghost software. I bought a Seagate 320gb drive at Fry's last week for $89 (it was on sale, but they do that often). Ghost is about $45 online. Then install both and have Ghost backup your entire system. I have Ghost backup me & my wifes computers every Thursday at 8pm (we're big fans of Survivor which is on at that time.).

When my family & I decided to leave for points North, I grabbed the three external hard drives because I had backed up everything the week before. I call those our 3 "OH ****" drives because if we ever have to leave in a hurry, all we need to do is grab those drives and go.

If anybody wants more info about this, reply here or PM me. I'll be glad to help.:yes:
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Aug 24, 2005
    Good idea CBF. I too use an external USB hard drive. I used to have a tape backup system, but with the cost of these hard drives today, this really make sense.