1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Concerns going into the season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rickochey, Sep 1, 2012.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I don't want to sound like a whinny fan or a 'sky is falling' fan either. But, I truthfully have some concern with my team. I now live in Kansas City and have had a few chances to talk with Chiefs fans and here is what they see about the Chargers. I'm sharing my team perspective from a distance.

Rivers- He is good during the season but chokes under pressure. Because of the fumbled snap last year.
    --my concern are the INTs. What has happened to PR or what coach has left that was able to get the most of of him? He isn't going through his reads like he was in previous years.

LT-O-line. Yes, some depth but inexperienced.

WRs.. Royal, his nagging groin can limit his playing and be a continuous problem until he sits for a good full year. Meachum and PR chemistry and timing during real time game speed.

Norv-- My concern here is very problematic as I hope we do not see another slow, sloppy start. There is no excuse for that since he had 6 months to pull this team together. The team should be tight and organized.

From this far away and looking at the team and hearing what people think i.e. radio and fans is that Chargers are the only team in the West that will give the Broncos any trouble. Chargers have 2 players-Rivers and Gates. Defense is ok but not special.

2. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Some of that is what I hear and some is what I know. PR is the man. He is awesome under pressure. I know the Chargers have more players but that is what I hear.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rivers - Somewhat concerning considering his INT streak and 20 INT's last season. We will see if this continues the first few games.

O-line - A train wreck.

WR's - TBD. We haven't seen them on the field enough together to really get a read. Floyd has to stay healthy this season.

Norv - Norv is going to be Norv.

"Chargers are the only team in the West that will give the Broncos any trouble." Don't bet on this. The last couple years the media has hyped the Chargers as a better team then they actually are. I see the same old Chargers from the last couple years. 9-7 or 8-8. The West is wide open.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I agree. What the media has failed to recognize is that Peyton has never beaten Rivers. And Rivers led the league in passing when VJ was out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Biggest concern for me is the O-line, Rivers constantly felt pressure and had to force way too many balls which led to INT's once our o-line held up Rivers looked a lot better and more comfortable,

2nd concern for me is WR's none outside of gates did anything when PR was the QB, Mybe they weren't beating the DB's, Maybe they were running incorrect routes, what ever it was it has to change

3rd concern NORV!!!!!!!!! his "Im not worried, we'll continue to get better and better" attitude is rubbing off on the players, in press conferences, the players show up with a laid back mind set. These guys are getting paid to go out there and win, not show up in a bathrobe like the big lebowski

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I agree with this 100%! I also think the o-line weakness does effect Rivers interceptions as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Norv
    f'n injuries piling up
    The line
    Rivers' turnovers
    the D
    Norv

At least Kaeding probably won't have a chance to fcuk it up in the playoffs. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

This is sad but true. As Bill Parcells said "You Are What Your Record Says You Are". :poop:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Concerns going into the season.

Yes.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    OT obviously, also lack of quality depth everywhere on OL.
    Rivers' head.
    Ingram--he's the key to the pass rush. Needs to stay healthy or we go back to last year's vanilla.
    CBs--Worse than last year if we have same pass rush as last year. This is tied into Ingram--with the LBs bringing heat, the CBs should be fine. Without it, they'll be toast.

But it's not like any team is firing on all cylinders. Every team has weaknesses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Harris = OROY ;)

12. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not feeling confident about winning the West! The O-line is a mess and Norv has me concerned:eek:

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm concerned they don't have all-pros at every position, proven starters as backups and first round draft picks as third stringers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Oh yeah, one more concern: Manning looks awfully good in Denver.
    **** it, we'll get the wild card ;)

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    My concern is that Rivers might not make it through the season with this line, and even if he does, he might play like dogshit as a result of his line. Every team in the division has a decent pass rush, and 2 of them have an outstanding pass rush. If we're going to get anywhere, it starts up front.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers was just luring everyone into a false sense of confidence.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    No real concerns on my part. I will enjoy the season no matter what just like I have over the past 40 plus years. Winning is much more gratifying though and that's why they play the game, for my entertainment.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    that's what I used to do in high school to every guy that beat the crap out of me :confused:

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Everything is a constant except the Oline.

Norv is questionable so the team will need to play above his lack of preparation.
    Rivers is the man and can be deadly when he isn't running for his life
    WRs are fine. Rivers has shown that he can throw the ball to pop Warner stars and still move the ball.

Everything during the offseason rested on the Oline playing well. Nothing has changed since then.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    So, the fact that our defense was the worst in the league on 3rd down doesn't factor into it at all, huh? :confused:

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ...and except the front 7 on D and the DC ;)

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    The O line is my biggest concern, we're 'Keira Knightley' thin. Harris isn't ready to start at LT at this level, he is a keeper but his best friend this year is Randy Mc. Norv still can't get away from the slow developing pass plays, Philip doesn't get the time for this no more. We need to see a new philosophy ie. quick routes, slants etc.

After O line it is corner, esp if our (what looks like a new found) pass rush doesn't happen.

23. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I'm just going into all of this thinking tat what we saw in the preseason was all just some really elaborate scheme by Norv to make everyone feel more confident when play us, that way, when the season starts, they're knocked on their asses with amazement and how goo we actually are.

A man can dream, right?

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Tough guy,
    My post was in context of what was being discussed above.

25. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    why would the HC for my team want to encourage the other team?:tdown:

26. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Don't try to shatter my dreams with your logic!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Huh?........ tough guy? Do you take every question as a personal attack?

You seem to indicate that the O-line was the only real issue. I found it odd that the defensive problems were unmentioned.

I've certainly tried to forget Manusky, but that's simply not possible. ;)

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He struggles with context.

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Listen, Chacho! Or Chachi! Or whatever the kids call you. IT'S GOING DOOOOWN! Back of the Sip'n'Serve Sunday, 3:15.

I am very bored.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    1) LT - Can't help it. It's going to be for a while. Chargers aren't dumb, they'll keep McMichael around to help with blocking same with McClain. This won't be the same situation that happened with us and the raiders at home last year. It can't be.....right?
    2) CBs - I'm glad to hear that everyone is back at practice but this remains the second weakest group on the team. Can someone please step up?
    3) WR - There's talent but can they be in sync with PR?
    4) Run Stopping/Pass Rush - this is a weak OL we are facing. Just show SOME improvement over last year PLEASE