1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Conc's review of the Seahawks...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The first preseason game is in the books. A game that saw some good plays on both sides of the ball and some not so good plays. Lets first set the table, this is the first preseason game. That pretty much means it is a baby step above a scrimmage, in other words the objective is to escape the game without injuries and get a look at those players who are not shoe ins for making the roster. So there is no reason to panic. No reason to wonder if buying that new Charger jersey was a mistake. The only mistake would be to worry that the season is lost because the first preseason game did not look like the game played in midseason.

So let’s look at the game. Who was looking good?

Philip Rivers hardly got in the game going 5/7 for 71 yards playing in only two series. After the game Rivers said of the sloppy play; "We're going in with a lot of expectations, feeling pretty good about who we are," Rivers said. "Not to say we haven't been getting after it hard, we have. But maybe this will say, 'Hey, guys, listen, we need to focus in a little more than maybe we think we were focusing in.' These penalties that essentially cost us the last time we were on this field, clean up some other things and move on."

Billy Volek solidified his hold on the backup position throwing 13/18 for 143 yards and a 14 yard touchdown pass to Malcom Floyd, on a series that covered 55 yards. He showed some poise in the pocket and an ability to get the ball to the receiver.

Charlie Whitehurst started out looking like he was going to overtake the backup position; his first drive was a very good one where he had some very crips passes and had poise in the pocket. He hit 11/22 for 79 yards and one interception on the evening.

Darren Sproles may have just saved his roster spot with some solid returns and runs. He ended the evening with a 9 yard rushing average and 63 yards on the ground, and caught four passes for 36 yards. He had a kick return for 22 yards and a punt return for 13 yards. It is in the return game that he will have to continue to excel if he wants to remain on the roster. His performance tonight showed me that he does indeed want to remain a Charger.

Malcom Floyd lead the team in receptions on the evening with a 13 yard average, catching 5 passes for 65 yards. He was on the receiving end of the Billy Volek touchdown in the second quarter.

Craig Davis had a good catch showing some of his ability as he brought in an 11 yard catch

Eric Weedle looked sharp in his first game as a Charger, he intercepted Wallace early in the second quarter and returned it 16 yards.

What was lookin bad?

Fumbles. They can kill the best team and we had far too many of them. Rivers had a fumble, recovered by the Chargers, Billey Volek had two, losing one, Vincent Jackson had one that was lost.

Almost as bad are penalties, and too many yellow hankies were thrown at the Chargers. Penalties can be forgiven in the preseason by the fans, but they can kill someone’s attempt to make the team. The Chargers did not look particularly good in the first outing under new Head Coach Nort Turner. They were penalized eight times for 45 yards and gave up five sacks, two by defensive end Darryl Tapp. Each team lost three turnovers.

The Seahawks had little difficulty passing on what appeared to be a very soft secondary defense on the evening. There was little pressure against the opposing quarterbacks and the Defense looked very plain. Again this is just the first preseason game, no reason to begin to worry at this point, the team needs time.

They need time with themselves and in more games to get the kinks ironed out. As Rivers suggested they will have to focus a little bit more. Some players are going to have to show that focus to avoid the dreaded Turk.

Next game is against the Rams in St. Louis. The starters should get a little more time, and we can start to see if there are perhaps some trends to consider or worry about.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Manu is going home. I wonder if he is pissed?

Good takes on the game and prety much what I saw. Scott Chandler and Legoland are going to be two nice additions to watch.

Our starters will play two quarters of football this Saturday so now is the time to gets the kinks out.

The following game will see the starters go 3 quarters then they are relegated to maybe one quarter and a series in the final game.

Now that August is here, I can't wait for it to get over.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Who impressed me

*Darren Sproles
    *Legedu Naane
    *Malcolm Floyd
    *Craig Davis
    *Eric Weddle
    *Nick Roach
    *Nate Kaeding

Who disturbed me
    *Vincent Jackson
    *The OL across the board
    *The defensive pressure
    *Antwaan Applewhite
    *Quentin Jammer
    *Shane Olivea
    *Tim Dobbins

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I really do think that this is because we aren't running many stunts or blitz's at this time of year. I remember thinking the same thing last preseason. Hopefully this it he case.

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Good stuff man!

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I would add McCree to the disturbed section as well. Jammer looked slow, but on the Hasselbeck to Branch TD McCree gave no inside help.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good stuff, Conc!! :tup:

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey, ball watcher, Jammer didn't give up that TD. It was McCree's responsibility. Jammer actually made a very good play to be as close to Branch as he was. Jammer's responsibility was outside. McCree was supposed to provide inside help, and he didn't get deep enough. The coverage they were playing was quarters. Jammer had his quarter covered, McCree did not cover his quarter.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes: :icon_toast:

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I listened to part of the game on Sirius and they were saying that the Chargers aren't going to show the Bears chiat on either side of the ball. That doesn't excuse our QB's getting blasted or penalties but it does explain some the approach.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    of course it doesn't but by the same token I'd like to see some pressure somewhere and our QBs playing a little better and a little more solid

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    QBs playing better? Rivers had a 130 passer rating in the game, and one of his two incompletions was a 20 yard strike that Floyd dropped. Volek was very good. Whitehurst struggled. We had some issues in the game, but QB play was not one of them.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    More tasty goodies from Conc. Polk bothers me, we're better off keeping Siler. Pinnock does not impress me. The OL will be fine, playing Jamal, LT and a few other core players is foolish until the last couple of exhibitions. There was a disciplinary tool used by coaches a while back. People who dropped passes or fumbled were told to carry a football around with them everywhere they went, even to bed. Team mates were told to try an tap the ball loose from time to time. Simple, but it worked.

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think the QBs played pretty good. Whitehurst struggled but I thought Rivers & Volek played pretty well. Only thing I would like to have seen was Rivers play one more series as it seemed like he was starting to hit a stride.

15. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Polk is a back up to Merriman at OLB. Siler, if he makes the team, will be a back up at ILB. Siler is not ready to step in if something should happen to Merriman while Polk did an OK job last year when Merriman served his suspension.

Siler belongs on the PS while Polk is a valuable back up. If there were anyone better to chose from great but for now Polk is the back up to Merriman.

Maybe after a year of the PS Applewhite may be ready to back up Merriman but Siler isn't the answer.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree with you. However they both need to review the film and find out what happened and get on the same page.

Giving up 6 in preseason is not big deal. When its for real one of the two damn well better make a play!:icon_twisted:

17. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I noticed Nick Roach too. He was in on every play and seemed to be playing faster than other guys. I found myself saying who was that several times. He's number 48 right?

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    For having the most biitchin Sig on this site, I am sending you a bunch of free stuff....Crown Royal, Grey Goose, Jack Daniels and some beer etc. :icon_toast:

19. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Trumpet Man! I didn't want to whore myself to gets some goods. Maybe they could add AJ urine samples as stuff to give?:icon_toast: I mean what better thirst quencher is there?

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I will talk to the man. I do not see why not. :icon_toast:

21. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Cool!:icon_party:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Have you been samplin your wares again?!:icon_huh:

23. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    :icon_toast:

24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    good input conc, i agree with 99% of the article.

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    No offense, I understand why people do it since it's finally football season after a long offseason, but rating players and positions after a preseason game is just a waste of time.

While the Seahawks blitzed a ton in that game how many times did the Chargers come with anything innovative on defense? Twice? Can anyone reasonably say the Chargers were trying to win? No. And if you're not trying to win how can you possibly judge how players and units are performing?

The way I see it the Chargers benefited from that game way more than the Hawks. Our o-line got to see some stunts and double-blitzes to work on in the film-room. The entire team was reminded that yes, there are referees on the field. It's the typical crap you see really good teams do in meaningless preseason games. Not sure why this has to come up every single year, but preseason games DO NOT predict anything.

In the meantime, the Chargers kept the playbook closed and showed very little.

26. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Wait... Sproles isn't going to the HOF? :icon_huh:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That makes no sense.

You can predict how a player plays with pads on in pre-season will not be any different in the regular season and be pretty spot on with a few exceptions.

If Sproles continues to show he belongs, one can predict he has a good chance to stay.

Pre-season predicts who stays and who goes.

I predicted that one preseason Cleo Lemon smoked our staff that he would start one day and it appears the brother is on the verge of starting in Miami. :yes:

I predict Tyronne Gross (who no one really pimps) will kick some *** in the next few games as well.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I was on Lemon's band wagon with you. I keep Gross and Sproles over Pinnock. I keep Siler over Polk. I'll wait a game or two on the rest.

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You might not like his antics, but Polk > Siler.