1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Concudan's view of the 2007 Chargers.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    With training camp just weeks away excitement builds as fans get ready for what should be an exciting 2007 football season. The Chargers have gone through some significant changes this season, gone is the majority of the coaching staff. This has lead many of the talking heads in the sports community to predict a less than championship year for the Chargers organization.

But upon further review it would be germane to point out that the coaching staff assembled by General Manger AJ Smith, and new Head Coach Norv Turner brings 231 man years of NFL experience to the table; Norv Turner has 22 years experience, and is beginning his second year with the bolts, having spent one year and the Offensive Coordinator for San Diego in 2001, a year which saw LaDanian Tomlinson win the Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. That season saw LT lead all rookie backs in rushing yardage with 1,236 yards. Score 10 touchdowns, and catch 59 passes.
    Offensive Coordinator Clarence Shelmon has 16 years of NFL experience with six of those being with the Chargers. He has been involved with Norv Turners system under previous OC Cam Cameron.
    Ted Cottrell, the Chargers first year Defensive Coordinator has 22 years NFL experience, while Steve Crosby, one of the six remaining coaches from the 2006 season has 29 years NFL experience and has been with the Chargers for 5.
    The remaining coaches have the flowing:
    Tight Ends coach Clancy Barone, 4 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Secondary coach Bill Bradley, 16 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Offensive Line coach John Hanely, 13 years NFL experience, 2nd with the Chargers.
    Offensive Line coach Hal Hunter, 1 year NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Wide Receivers coach James Lofton, 21 years NFL experience, 5th with the Chargers.
    Defensive Line coach Wayne Nunnely, 12 years NFL experience, 10th with the Chargers.
    Line Backers coach Wayne Paganno, 11 years NFL experience, 5tht with the Chargers.
    Quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell, 12 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Inside Line Backers coach Ron Rivera, 11 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Assistant Secondary coach Kevin Ross, 19 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Running Backs coach Matt Simon, 8 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Strength & Conditioning coach Jeff Jurd, 12 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.
    Assistant Strength & Conditioning coach Vernon Stephens, 2 years NFL experience, 1st with the Chargers.

The coaching staff assembled has coaches on it who are touted as being candidates for Head Coaching positions, and bring a variety of experience to the team. We have much to be look forward to as Coaches such as Rivera and Cottrell have been involved with some of the best defenses in the league. Norv Turner has directed some of the best offensive units the league has seen, and Quarterbacks in his system have improved statistically.

Coaching is not the only reason to have high hopes. Those years of experience are going to be used to help some of the Leagues best players get better. Tomlinson leads an all star caliber team that has seen very little turn over in the off season. The offensive players have been reported to be excited with the new twists in the teams offensive scheme, Tight End Antonio Gates is set to have an even bigger impact on the passing game, and big Brandon Manumaleuna brings a blocking ability that is coupled with some soft hands and a play making ability. Young wide receivers such as Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd showed ability last season and will put the teaching of James Lofton to good use in an offense where defenses will be forced to pick their poison when deciding who to double team. The offensive line returns intact, as Kris Deilman turned down more money with Seattle to remain with the Chargers as they make a push for a championship. Rookie sensation Marcus McNeil looks to improve on an all pro rookie season where he kept Philip Rivers on his feet and paved the way for rushing leader LaDanian Tomlinson’s historic season.

On Defense it just keeps getting better. The Chargers boast arguably the best line backing corps in the league, and it is a corps that has depth as well. The middle position is up for grabs after the departure of Donnie Edwards back to Kansas City. Donnie can look forward to playing twice against the big blockers of the Chargers O, and I am sure that Lorenzo Neil will give him a proper greeting. Shawne Merriman will continue to be a force on the outside as teams are forced to decide where to block against the Chargers fast and ferocious pass rush. Shawn Phillips occupies teams as well rushing from the other side with an excellent speed rush that causes chaos in the offensive backfield. Last season Phillips was very good at swatting the ball down and causing fumbles, this season he should be even better given the experience of a full season starting and the experienced coaching staff.

In short, let the talking heads predict the faltering of Philip Rivers, let them lament about the change in the coaching staff. The Chargers have grown accustom to such things, and this season they will let their play speak for them. Teams, and talking heads will not think they have regressed after a few games anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Very encouraging and positive synapsis. There is no doubt that we're stacked on both sides of the ball.

But I think it's a strech to presume that we're going to have one of the best LB corps in football. We have two of the top five or ten pass rushers at OLB, no doubt. But the fact that the two spots in the middle are "up for grabs" is a clear indication that we're don't know who is the best guy at ILB, let alone how they will perform over the course of a 16 game regular season. We wont know just how good our ILBs are going to be until a couple weeks into the season. And it's not that I don't have faith in Cooper and Wilhelm to step up. But these guys have not faced the pressure of being opening day starters, or the adversity of losing a heart breaker with them in the middle.

There are a chitload of coaches there that say "1st with the Chargers." I know it's not technically Norv's first year with the bolts, but (even though the scemes are essencially identical) I have to think of him like this is his first year with us (maybe credit him and extra half a year for his experience here). But if you include Norv we have a total of 11 first year coaches, which strikes me as a pretty big number. I totally believe that these guys can do the job, but until we see the product on the field there will be question marks.

Finally, I'm not really so sure that it's a good thing that we have three or more guys that are qualified to be head coaches. Seems like that presents the potential for big personalities to clash. At the same time the actual head coach has no personality whatsoever, so maybe there will be plenty of room.

Really I think you're spot on and I agree wih 99% of you evaluation. But I'm also aware that I'm looking through the rosey glasses of a fan so my feelings are heavily biased. But if I were a critic or naysayer the chit above is probably what I would observe.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Conc, good piece. I hope this team will finally make a stand and knock the crap out of the NFL and bring home the loot. I honestly can't remember ever having a team this talented in San Diego. I'm looking forward to a Lombardi this year, and the only way that wont happen is if this team fawks up again.:bolt2:

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think it is a bit eroneous to state that we have 11 first year coaches. We have 11 that it is indeed their first year with the team, but teams constantly have to deal with the loss and replacement of coaches. Look at the patriots a few years ago when they were raided. They survived. The majority of our coaches are veterans, and know how to do their job. For me that is strictly a win win scenario.

I am not concerned right now with personality clashes, I think if there are any such clashes, given the recent history of the Chargers it will be dealt with quickly and quietly. These guys are used to being part of a staff, they are not used to going it alone. I do not see any Buddy Ryan, Kevin Gilbride situations.

Perhaps you are correct on the Line backing corps. But I have faith in the players AJ gets.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You're right, "first year coaches" was the wrong language. What year was it that the Pats coaching staff was pillaged? 'Cause unless I am mistaken it was '05, the only year since '02 that they didn't play in the AFC Championship game.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    But they did make the playoffs did they not?

First year coaching staffs have done well in the past have they not. I see the fact that they bring over 200 years of total NFL experience to the table a big factor. Either way we will see by the fourth game.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Just making the playoffs is not going to be good enough this year. Marty himself has been coaching football for over 200 years and that experience didn't seem to get us over the hump. :icon_shrug:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    200 years? You wouldnt be exagerating would you?

What I am eluding to is that while many of the Coaches are first year Charger coaches, many of them have over 15 years in the league. It is not like the are a wet behind the ears college boy who will be lost. They have been there and seen it. Rivera just came from a superbowl team. The NFC champions, and it was his defence that got him there. How could anyone take it that because he hasnt been with the Chargers for multiple years a bad thing. He has seen how to make D's work, and he has been on a team that has gotten to the Dance. That should be a great help to our team. Norv has been to the dance. We have coaches that have Playoff and Superbowl experience. That should be a HUGE benifit for our team. I cant see it any other way.:yes:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Thanks VDK.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If the chargers pass offense improves the chargers offense will be very scarey good.

If the pass defense improves and gets solid the chargers defense will be scarey good.

If both pass offense and pass defense improve and are solid this chargers team will be. Well very good. .:yes: :icon_toast:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I pass on that one...

:icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Now, if Eric Parker would.....:icon_tease:

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

From the sounds coming from chargerville. That will be the plan. Good plan.:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:

RIP would rep you for that.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word, I agree and respect your optimism. But you know I've gotta play the devil's advocate rather than just stroke your ego with constant compliance. :yes: :tup: :lol:

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree that Cooper and Wilhelm are essencially locks to start at MLB. I borrowed the phrase "up for grabs" from Conc's original post.

Cooper was definatly money against the Ravens. He has the talent, the only question is can he maintain that level of intensity for a whole season. I believe he can, but until we see it we wont know for sure.

And I'm actually pretty high on Wilhelm too. The few times I've seen him on the field he's covered his assignments and shown totally sufficient range. I've also read multiple times that he's like a coach on the field; knows where everybody is supposed to be on every play, and is a vocal leader. I don't remember what game it was this past year, but Wilhelm was on the field late in the fourth quarter and one of our DBs came up with an INT (don't remember who made the play either) and you could see Wilhelm pointing to the ground telling the guy to get the farg down. And I love guys that use their brains on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Finally, a meaningful post from Conc. :icon_tease:

You guys are calling our Inside linebackers "middle linebackers" which is not technically correct.

If we used a 4-3 defense then we have a true middle LB otherwise, we have weak side and strong side inside linebackers (3-4 defense).

Foober hit it with a fewest words.

If the passing offense and passing defense improves, this team is a nightmare.

Those are arguably our weaknesses.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I did not know that. Thanks for the knowledge horn-blower. :tup:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Since the ILB's occupy the inner portions of the field, it is still not correct to call them middle linebackers. Middle linebackers describes 4-3 defensive alignments but I get what you mean. They are in the middle portions of the field so big deal.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is a technical thing which other fans could come onto our boards and slap a poster silly if they did not know the difference...or at least try. :yes:

Weak inside linebackers line up according to the offensive alignment. They set up prior to the snap on the weak side of the offensive lines' formation or on the side of the o-line which does not have a TE helping the tackle aka the "weak side".

The other inside linebacker is strong side committed and lines up accordingly.

Everything is suppose to funnel to the WILB (weakside dude) and that is why he gets most of the tackles. It is by design or scheme.

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    (suspects madden football has something to do with it) :yes: :lol:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Since the Chargers ran a 4-3 defense forever, it was habitual for me to call our inside dudes middle LB's and I still do it sometimes but I just consider it a bad habit. :lol: