1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Confident Cason ready for sophomore season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted May 19, 2009

As Antoine Cason begins his second NFL season, he does so with a strong sense of confidence following a solid rookie campaign.

Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason[​IMG] says that the lessons he learned last fall during his rookie season are too numerous to count, but the former first-round pick doesn’t have a hard time identifying the most helpful tool he picked up.

“To be out there, you have to be a guy with a lot of confidence,” Cason said Monday. “Particularly as a cornerback, you‘re out there on an island and you’ve got to be sure about what you’re doing. If you don’t have confidence in yourself and you don’t display that confidence, you’re usually not as fluid and you don’t play as well.”

Cason spent his rookie season serving as the team’s nickel cornerback. Because so many opponents tried to spread the Chargers out with multiple-receiver sets, Cason received plenty of opportunities to contribute. He recorded two interceptions and broke up seven passes in what he called a strong learning experience.

“For the most part I was pleased with my rookie year,” Cason said. “There are some things I’ve looked at and asked myself, ‘what were you thinking here?’ I’ve been able to go back and study the tapes and see where I can get better. Overall I felt good about my performance. It’s something I can build on.”

While there were some plays Cason wouldn’t mind having back, there was also a lot to be proud of. His solid play gave him a sense of assurance that he thinks will help him make a jump in year two.

“When you get that first year out of the way, the mental confidence really goes up,” Cason said. “Going into this year, I feel good about how I see and react to the game now. It’s still going to be a lot of work. I still have to execute and put it all together, but I’ve got the foundation to do that. I’m playing with a lot more confidence now.”

Cason showed that Monday morning during the team’s first Offseason Coaching Session. He came away with a crafty interception and broke up a pair of passes during the team drills and left him feeling encouraged about his play.

“It just felt good,” Cason said. “It felt like this is where I need to be. To come out and make some plays the first day excites me. I’ve got my mind set on moving forward every day, so making a couple plays on the first day makes me feel good about the rest of OCS’s and going into training camp.”

Cason believes this spring and summer will give him a chance to get much better.

“During OCS’s, you hone your skills, pay attention to detail and let the coaches try to perfect your game,” Cason said. “You can really grow a lot.”

A second season in the NFL brings simple expectations for Cason.

“I just have to play solid, sound football and put myself in a position to be out there more to make more plays,” Cason said. “If I can do that, I’ll be happy.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    dude is going to be the best bolt cb ever.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He did damn well his rookie year, he just can't have a sophomore slump, he needs to keep the pressure on Cro

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If the real Cromartie returns this season. We'll have the best CB team in the league.
    Jammer Rules!!
    I like what I saw of Cason last season!