1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Confirmed: Rivers has Partially Torn ACL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 18, 2008.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080118-1156-bn18rivers3.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

11:56 a.m. January 18, 2008

Philip Rivers' knee injury is more severe than what has been described by the Chargers, and the quarterback has been listed as doubtful for Sunday's AFC Championship Game.
    Sources told The San Diego Union-Tribune today the quarterback also has a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in addition to the sprained medial collateral ligament the team has made known.

Advertisement Rivers practiced today and is still expected to test the knee Sunday morning to determine whether he can play against the New England Patriots.
    “It'll be day-to-day,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “We're going down the same road as (Antonio) Gates.” Gates played Sunday at Indianapolis after a pre-game workout to test his dislocated big toe, but was largely ineffective. He also has been listed as doubtful for this Sunday's game.

Rivers was on the practice field this morning for the first time this week, wearing a brace on his right knee. There was no brace on his left knee, on which he has played the past 5½ games with a sprained MCL. During the portion of practice open to the media, he threw passes with the first team.

“It always falls on the player,” Smith said. “The doctors and medical people do so much. The coach and general manager are on the outside. The ultimate decisions is the player's – unless he physically can't go or it will do harm for your future.”

Smith, as he always does, declined to discuss the specific injury. But he said, “We would never jeopardize any player.”

A sports medicine expert said yesterday it was possible for Rivers to play with a partial tear of his ACL.

“When you get into the category of partial tears, no one really knows,” said Dr. James Gladstone, an orthopedic surgeon and chief of sports medicine at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine. “There have been studies out there that suggest if (the ACL) is 50 percent intact, you may be OK. The only way of knowing is you play.”

Even if Rivers does play, the fact his knee is further damaged could affect how long he plays or how much trauma he can handle during the game.

It will also affect how he moves.

The ACL, which along with the PCL forms a cross at the center of the knee, works to stabilize the knee. Its health affects quick starting and stopping and change of direction.

What is not known is the severity of Rivers' tear in either his MCL or ACL. Sprains are classified in three degrees – as a stretching (first degree), partial tear (second degree) and total tear (third degree).

• Like Like x 1
  2. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I just had surgery last Friday for a partially torn ACL. I've been surfing and wakeboarding on it for a year. Chances are he probably fukced it up more than I did (getting jumped outside last years Chargers-49ers game), but a week after it happened I was pretty mobile.

Good news is they can fix the ACL pretty easily these days.

I love Norv's misdirection with the injury report. Its a running joke that Tom Brady has been questionable for every single game the last 7 years, its great that we're throwing it back at them.

F U C K THE PATS!

3. Kinch

Kinch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Damn, was that in the parking lot or did you walk through Hunter's Point?

4. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I guess it's all a matter of how severe the tear was.

Can't believe you got jumped at the 49ers game. I thought the Niner fans were pretty tame. By the end of the game it was mostly Charger fans anyway. One more reason to hate the Niners.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Have no fear, HGH is here.

Rivers will be healed. The fix is in.

Believe in the prophecies.

The odds are insurmountable and the stage is set for the brother to walk on water and part the seas of the NFL.

Destiny awaits us. :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes. No ligament can stop the Chosen One.

I BELIEVE

7. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah it sucked. It happened while we were in the car leaving the game. A car load of ghetto fools from the central valley started throwing beer bottles at my car, then rushed my door to pull me out. I got it locked in time, but my buddy in the car behind me got out to help me, and they ended up rushing him instead. When I got out to help, he was already messed up pretty bad, so 4 of them started on me. The coup de grace was one of their fat girlfriends kicked me in my face when i was on the ground splitting my chin open which needed 9 stitches to close. Also the torn ACL and chipped teeth. The worst part is the DA up there refused to press charges. In San Francisco, you literally have to shoot someone in front of a cop to get arrested.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    DESTINY AWAITS US !!!!

ARE CHARGER FANS READY ???? :bolt:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wouldn't that be some **** if Volek were the chosen one all along? :lol:

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This is how legends are born.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Still concerns me a great deal

and it'll require surgery and whatnot in the offseason

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    :bolt:I believe in the power of Rivers!!!!:bolt:

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If you bet against the kid... prepare to lose your *** :yes:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We're fawked now.:icon_sad:

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Why would an "unnamed source" disclose this?

Teams have to disclose injuries, had the Chargers done so I would believe it, but an anonimous source? :icon_shrug:

16. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    oh man, didn't think it was that serious!

I think Rivers will play, but will come out as soon as he's hit hard (if he's hit hard) He's a tough cookie, and I don't think he will pass up the chance in playing for an AFC Championship leaving it up to Volek.

BUT I DO think Volek will come in, play the game of his life. Our defense will stiffen up. And well...Volek Jerseys will become a lot more popular. :tup:

Preferably I'd like to see Rivers finish the game. Either way... :abq1:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :abq1:VOLEKTRICITY!!!!!:abq1:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Way to keep the faith, buttercup!:unsure:

19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    It's all part of the plan. Alllll part offff the plaaaaaaann.

20. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    If there is a chance that Rivers could injure it further, possibly requiring surgery, they should give the rock to Billy the Kid.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Philip proved he could play last week without Gates at full speed and LT going down. If Philip was not injured I'd believe we were going to win. Volek scares the **** out of me, what can I say. Unlike you though I have never given up during any game this year.:bolt:

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Volek is a pro. He can do it. Plus, he can move around much better than Phillip. Fate has smiled on us thus far this season. Let's hope it continues this weekend.

In scrubs we trust!

23. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I believe, the Pats are Fuqked!!!

Destiny awaits!!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If you guys remembered (this is the I told you so post), I had mentioned to get Volek and Whitey some reps in the regular season and now here we are one hit away from seeing our 3rd stringer in the AFC Conference Championship game.

I was not happy that our backup QB's did not see the playing field in the season because more were concerned in getting Rivers his reps. There were games the back ups could have played but did not and now in hindsight, I was right.

Almighty is the prophet.

Kneel suckas' :lol:

25. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    As one AFC personnel man told me this week: "If Volek has to play, he'll scramble around and make some throws for San Diego. He's a very good backup in this league, because he's a guy who can go in and carry you for two or three games. Rivers is a better quarterback, but it's not a huge drop-off. Volek has some moxie to him. He's the son of a football coach. He's extremely bright and he knows where to go with the football. He plays within his abilities, and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/18/chargers/index.html

26. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    NICE! :tup: :football:

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Not getting in reps is not what bothers me. Rivers is a winner, he don't look pretty doing it but he just gets the job done. Volek and Whitey are players who haven't shown they know how to do that.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Buck up! Back the TEAM! Keep the faith!

:abq1:VOLEKTRICITY!!!!!:abq1:

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have 100% faith in Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst. That is a rare event for this fan to make this statement.

Too many fans used Billy's shaky outing against the Titans and that is about it and that is wrong. Way wrong. The dude is a baller and throws one of the sweetest long bombs. He can scramble much better than Rivers but then so can a bear on its hind legs.

In Volek I trust despite that being a minority forum opinion. I saw what this dude did while playing for the Titans and had coveted getting his *** here for a while.

Happy days are here and fans who doubted Volek will be schooled. :yes:

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    All the dudes at QB have "IT".

All 3 of the mo-fo's.

Seriously, the dudes have skills and I would not get deflated if anyone of the three had to take the reigns because they are that good.

Not marginally good mind you but THAT GOOD. :yes:

Yup.

Trust a brother on this one.

Even Whiteman....that dude is going to be a good one.