1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Texas Rangers 2010 American League Champions!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    10/22/10 11:15 PM ET
    The Y'all Classic! Texas boots Yanks in ALCS

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- After 39 years in Texas and 50 years of existence, the Rangers have knocked off the defending champions and are finally on their way to their first World Series. They had never even won a playoff series before this season, but the Rangers are now just four wins away from the ultimate dream after finishing off the Yankees with a 6-1 victory in Game 6 of the American League Championship Series on Friday night.
    The Rangers now await the National League winner between the Giants and the Phillies. The Giants lead that series 3-1 with Game 6 scheduled for Saturday in Philadelphia and a possible Game 7 scheduled for Sunday.

[​IMG]

The World Series will open on Wednesday, Oct. 27, in either San Francisco or Philadelphia, just one day after the 50th anniversary of the franchise being voted into existence as the Washington Senators on Oct. 26, 1960.
    The two big blows came in the fifth inning with the game with the game tied at 1. Vladimir Guerrero hit a two-run double off Yankees starter Phil Hughes and Nelson Cruz followed with a two-run home run off reliever David Robertson. That set off a frenzy among 51,404 fans as they sensed what was almost impossible was suddenly becoming reality.
    Rangers starter Colby Lewis, superb the entire postseason, also made it happen by holding the Yankees to one run over eight innings to earn his second victory of the playoffs. In doing so, he spared the Rangers sending Cliff Lee to the mound for Game 7. Instead, Lee will be ready to go for Game 1 of the World Series.
    Among those in attendance on Friday night were Tom Vandergriff, the former Arlington mayor whose herculean efforts brought the Rangers from Washington, D.C., in 1971, and former club president Tom Schieffer, whose tireless efforts brought about the contruction of the Ballpark in 1994.
    Many others were on hand when the Rangers started to cement their grip on the American League pennant in the bottom of the fifth. The game was tied at 1 at that point when Mitch Moreland beat out an infield single. He went to second on Elvis Andrus' hit-and-run grounder to the right side and then to third on Michael Young's slow grounder back to the mound.
    That brought up Josh Hamilton, and the Yankees elected to walk him intentionally. They did so in the exact same situation in the third, and Guerrero popped out to second to end the inning. Not this time.
    Guerrero crushed a 1-0 curveball from Hughes to deep center beyond Curtis Granderson, scoring both runners and giving the Rangers a 3-1 lead. From second base, Guerrero gave a big claw sign to his teammates in the dugout. Robertson replaced Hughes, but Cruz, after fouling off two 1-2 pitches, hammered a fastball deep into the left-center-field bleachers for a two-run homer.
    The Rangers were able to manufacture a run in the first inning after a leadoff double by Andrus and a one-out single by Hamilton put runners at the corners. Hamilton broke for second on a 1-2 pitch to Guerrero, who hit a ground ball to the right side. Second baseman Robinson Cano was playing back for the double play, but starting the runner eliminated that and Cano had to get the out at first as Andrus scored.
    The Rangers held that lead until the fifth, when Alex Rodriguez led off with a double and went to third on Lance Berkman's fly to deep right-center. That brought up Nick Swisher, and Lewis bounced a pitch that got past catcher Bengie Molina, allowing the run to score.
    Molina vehemently argued that the pitch hit Swisher on the bounce, which would have resulted in a dead ball. But plate umpire Brian Gorman disagreed and the run held up. That may have worked in the Rangers' favor. Swisher grounded out right before Jorge Posada doubled. But Lewis got out of the inning by striking out Marcus Thames.

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

The Y'all Classic! Texas boots Yanks in ALCS | texasrangers.com: News

Oh yeah, SUCK IT YANKEES!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Kevin played on the Lakeside American Little League Minor Division Rangers this year. They took first place and progressed deep into the District 41 Tournament of Champions Tournament. They ended up losing to the team that was the eventual runner up team.
    Up in the majors division the Rangers were also the Champions for Lakeside American. I tried getting a picture of both teams in Uniforms together but the logistics of it all was very hard. Any way I had home plate as an Umpire for the Championship game for the majors. The Minors Rangers had already claimed first place on Friday, and the majors Rangers claimed first place on Saturday. As I was leaving the field the Mark the League President was coming out onto the field so he could start handing out the first and second place trophies to the teams. I looked at him and said, “I guess it’s a good year to be a Ranger” he mumbled something and kept walking. (He is a huge Yankees fan)

I told Kevin to tell Mark the league president at our winter ball Game this past Thursday, “I guess it’s still a great year to be a Ranger” Kevin said he started chasing him around yelling “That aint funny” it was all in good. As I took the field Thursday because I was the Umpire mark told me what had happened. I couldn’t stop laughing.

It is a great year to be a Ranger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!