1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats Vincent Brown our new 3rd down receiver

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Zeus, May 1, 2011.

1. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Having decent speed, quick cone, and hands and arms like a giant this great route runner will improve our teams 3rd down. Imagine VJ, Floyd, Gates, and VJ Junior on the slot catching balls.

We missed Parker. This is Parker 3.0. A Parker who tries as hard, is more talented, and gets less injured.

Watching him in SDSU I always wondered. What happens if he had a good QB, or a good OL. How does a guy who is supposedly smaller and slower than everyone else have one of the best Receiving and TD stats of any WR.

For a slot receiver. Huge hands, Huge arms, Quick step, Quick change of possession, and knowledgeable route running his huge.

This guy has IT. He has one of the best changes of directions in the league.

Not every WR runs down the field hoping to be faster than the CB covering him.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    But he is under 6' tall! C'mon man!!!!

:lol:

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Hahah I get it.

Actually with his huge hands, arms, and jump he acts like a guy who is 6 2.

No kidding. His hands and arm length for his size might be better than any WR we have. IN comparison.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Derrick Mason. Forever under appreciated but always solidly productive.....hopefully.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Don't know if i'd call him parker, but I guess that's cool as long as he's not touching punts :-p

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's what people said about Chris Chambers..... his build and athleticism allowed him to play bigger than his actual height.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I really don't care about his size at all. If the Brown can create some seperation with his routes, catch in tight traffic, and adjust to the ball in the air......he can be successfull because Rivers will put it on him.

If he had run in the 4.5s at the combine I could see him being a high 2nd round pick, marked down only because of the conference he played in.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Absolutely....... I was just pointing out that Brown and Chambers are a similar body type...... long arms and big hands that allow them to play bigger than they actually are. Most people assumed that Chambers was over 6 feet when they saw him play on the field.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LOL I remember when he whooped our *** back in 2005, I figured at the time he was around 6'3.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yep, he sure played big that game.

Here's a comparison of our two Vincents.........

V. Brown
    5' 11" height
    184 lbs
    33" arms
    10 1/4" hands

V. Jackson
    6' 5" height
    230 lbs
    32" arms
    9 5/8" hands

That's why I compare Vincent Brown to Chris Chambers.... their arm length and hand size compare to a much bigger man. Combine that with jumping ability, and you have a average height WR that "plays big".

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Just so we're being fair here, Chambers ran a 4.31 40 at the combine and had a 45in vert.

Brown ran a 4.71, and had a 33.5in vert. I just hope Brown doesn't look like he's jogging next to these NFL CBs.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sure, he's not as fast or explosive as Chambers was, but I doubt Chris has that speed now either. And to be fair, Brown's times were better at his Pro Day...... 4.50 and 4.53 sec.

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Combine and pro day stats are meaningless. You don't get to run a forty when you have a corner or LB tagging or pushing you off a route, or when you have to break off your route to block someone downfield.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    For most positions, the 1st 10 yard interval is the real meaningful part.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely. Many fall in love with the 40 but it means little on the field.

FWIW - I'm OK with the Brown pick & admit that he's a more polished route runner at this point in time, but I would have really liked to have Jernigan, who was the very next pick.

16. cstu

cstu BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember another WR who ran a 4.7 40 at the combine and he turned out to be the GOAT.

I don't expect that from Brown, but there are far more important skills than 40 speed to be a successful WR.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That whole damn toe injury. He could have been so much better.

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Seriously if he is our 3rd WR then this was a stupid pick. Crayton is more that qualified for that role.
    This guy is no Leonard Hankerson. :p

19. cstu

cstu BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    3rd DOWN receiver.

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    No SHAT Sherlock That is what I was referring to.

21. cstu

cstu BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I took it to mean that he the new reliable 3rd down WR, not that it's all he can do. I'm high on this guy and think he's Lance Moore at worst.

22. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Lindley is one of the best QBs in the nation and could be a 1st round pick next year. Hell, i would of take him over someone like Ponder, Dalton or kaepernick (i love kaepernick, but would still rather have Lindley)

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    No worries. I have lost faith in AJ and this pick makes me sick considering the way the draft panned out. I think they had their homer glasses on when they chose him. I was not in the war room but from what I understand (and read) this guy was the only one on their radar. Yes I am a bit bitter that the screwed the pooch on Hankerson.

24. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Remember Jerry Rice slow as molasses but could run a route so good, it'd make you look stupid, maybe vincent brown could do that.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I beleive Joiner had a say in what WRs we should be targeting. AJ got him his GUY. Lets see what he can do with him now.

Also Hankerson didnt fall to us in time. To get him we would have had to trade up 3-4 spots. Same Shiz that happend when we missed out on D Bowe and ended up with The Bust. This could end up being the better WR with Brown over Hank. I wanted Hankerson too and wasnt even aware of VB.

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    They could have easily taken Hankerson with the Mouton pick and picked up Mouton with the Brown pick. Mouton would have been there. But hey we are stuck with Buster Brown.