1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Contract talk with Mcneil has began

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jul 30, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
  2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Hey denverbolt, I thought the chargers REFUSED to talk deals?

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Dude being a charger fan, didnt this just make your summer better to hear MM and chargers start talking for a new contract

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl: I bet he misses the ESPN boards! :icon_rofl:

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well this news did make me smile. After the Gates deal didnt think could get any more good news.

Far as VJ and Merriman, they can go ahead and do what they gotta do. Legs and Siler baby!!

6. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    idk if siler can play olb as good as merriman, but leg hell yea kid has potential

7. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not too familiar with how these things work. Does that mean it's possible that we have McNeil to start the season? If this does happen, then maybe VJ might see that this would be the best choice for him as well.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Hate to rain on everyone's parade but...

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Then where did this article from NFL.com come from?

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I thought it was "Has Begun"?...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

11. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I call BS. our summer is anything but hot.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Who do we believe? :icon_shrug:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...medium=twitter

Smith sets record straight on McNeill

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

The action on the field the first day of Chargers training camp Friday paled in comparison to what was happening on the phones of the front office.

Talks became significant with first-round pick Ryan Mathews’ agent and progressed to the point where there is optimism on both sides that the weekend could bring a deal.

The three restricted free agents didn’t show up, as expected, and according to people close to the situation are no closer to joining the team than they were a month ago.

However, an NFL.com report that the Chargers and left tackle Marcus McNeill were negotiating and were expected to continue talking did prompt A.J. Smith to publicly set the record straight. Numerous sources confirmed Friday that there was a conversation between the team and an intermediary for McNeill and his agent, but those talks did not produce any movement and no further talks are anticipated.

Smith, who usually says “We don’t discuss our football business,” decided to do so Friday. He has often said that he discusses the team’s business “when the situation needs clarification.”

Asked if this was such a time, Smith said “Absolutely.”

He has gone down this road before, including in 2004 as negotiations with then-rookie Philip Rivers broke down.

Informed of Friday’s report, Smith said, “That is absolutely untrue.”

He paused before saying, “Now let me tell you the real story.”

Smith then detailed phone conversations between Smith, Chargers Vice President Ed McGuire and Jason Fletcher. Fletcher is an agent who is unaffiliated with but is an acquaintance of Alvin Keels, McNeill’s agent.

Smith said Fletcher first called McGuire and said he represented McNeill along with Keels and wanted to “pull away from the past” and “start over.” He told McGuire that McNeill would like to “be with the Chargers.”

According to Smith, Fletcher asked if there was a chance the team could negotiate and was told there was not, that a $630,000 tender remained on the table.

Told by McGuire that Fletcher would like to talk to him, Smith then called Fletcher.

Smith insisted on getting Fletcher up to speed on what had happened between the two sides since March. He said that he told Fletcher the Chargers informed Keels in the spring the team would not be doing long-term contracts at that time, that Keels said McNeill would withhold his services, that the team gave McNeill a $3.268 million tender offer, which McNeill declined to sign. Smith told Fletcher the team informed Keels they would reduce McNeill’s tender to 110 percent of his 2009 salary on June 15 and that McNeill declined to sign.

Fletcher, according to Smith, then said that had he been representing McNeill at the time he would have suggested that McNeill sign the original tender.

Fletcher proceeded to ask, according to Smith, whether there was any way the sides could begin negotiations. He told Smith that McNeill wanted to be in camp. Smith responded that the Chargers wanted him there but that the offer to McNeill would remain at $630,000.

According to Smith, Fletcher responded that he would pass on the results of the conversation to McNeill.

Fletcher then called McGuire again to thank him and Smith for speaking and reiterated that he would pass on what was talked about.

An Internet report then prompted more Internet reports, and McNeill even sent out via his Twitter account a link to one of those reports.

Fletcher did not return messages last night, but Keels emphatically stated his position.

“I am not partners with Jason Fletcher, and Fletcher does not or has not ever represented Marcus McNeill and carries no influence in negotiations in the talks with the San Diego Chargers,” Keels said. “I spoke with Jason Fletcher on an unrelated matter (Thursday), and Jason indicated to me that he could serve as a buffer with the Chargers. We’ve been in a stalemate with the Chargers since mid-June. To perhaps jump-start talks in an effort to get Marcus in before the start of the season, I gave Jason permission to speak with the Chargers.

“The statements by (Fletcher) are not true. Jason has misrepresented himself. He has no authority to negotiate on Marcus’ behalf. But the focus right now shouldn’t be on Jason Fletcher as much as it should be us trying to spark discussion between Marcus McNeill and the Chargers.

“I’m taking a position where I want to put ego aside. I want to get a deal done with San Diego. Marcus has played out his rookie contract and at this point in time he does not have a contract. The best offer we received is the $3.2 million offer, which was reduced on June 15. Marcus wants to play in San Diego. He wants to get out there with his teammates. However, from the business aspect he wants more security and wants to be paid in line with his peers. Normally, I would keep negotiations quiet. However, due to the conversation between Jason Fletcher and A.J. Smith, I feel the need to set the record straight. Marcus is committed to his position, and regardless of who is speaking on his behalf, his position is coming solely from Marcus.”

Earlier in the day, Smith was asked about Shawne Merriman, who along with Vincent Jackson and McNeill is staying away from camp.

Seemingly in acceptance of where things have been and are headed with Jackson and McNeill, Smith reacted strongly to a question about Merriman’s absence and his reasons for not being in training camp.

“It was very disappointing to hear Shawne’s demands and desires regarding the Chargers,” Smith said. “But it certainly is his right to voice them. We will not guarantee him that he won’t be traded. That is not in the best interest of the organization.”

Merriman said Thursday he wishes to have “stability.” Saying he wasn’t asking for more money, he wanted assurances he wouldn’t continue to be available on the trade market.

Smith also spoke directly to Merriman’s wish to have a team built around him.

“We will not be building a defense around Shawne,” Smith said. “Our hope was that he would become an integral part of our defense. Obviously he has a lot on his mind going into the season. He will have to work that out with his agent.”

There was interest in Merriman at the draft, when the Chargers talked with at least three teams. Merriman’s agent at the time was also involved in talking contract parameters with interested teams.

Smith would not rule out Merriman being traded but said that is not the team’s intention.

“Right now we expect Shawne to be part of our team. If we should ever change our position on that, we will let you know.”

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    AJ rules.

this is code for "oh shiiiiiit, this guy isn't gonna back down..."

I think it's pretty clever of MM's agent to use a "buffer" guy to guage interest from the Chargers because then he can just throw that dude under the bus like he did w/out looking like a b!tch.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    At least AJ sticks true to his guns. In the long run it's something that player's will no up from, It's a privilege to play for San Diego not a right.

15. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    You need to deal in realities.
    We need McNeil - everyone knows it.
    Smith looks more and more stubborn as this plays out. Does he really see MM being humiliated and coming in for 600K? That would absolutely be the end of his stay here. Has MM made a mistake by not signing his tender? possibly. But what's to be gained by treating him like a naughty schoolboy?
    To hell with growing up in the AJ Smith houshold!!

The Gates signing makes him look like a barefaced liar ("no contracts at this time"). You can play with words all you want but Smith's actions are beginning to be less and less defensible.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Reality?? you obviously don't know what reality is. The dude basically flipped the Bolt's off and walked away from 3.2 million dollars. That is a far cry from 600K, that's reality, get with the program or go shovel **** somewhere.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think we all know mcneils agent screwed up royally here. The agent should have spent more time researching a.j. and how he does buisness. A.j. says what he means. And sticks to his guns. Mcneils agent must have not known that or is just stupid. Now mcneil is screwed. And the agent allowed it to happen.

18. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think McNeil should fire his agent and kiss AJ's *** and beg for forgiveness ... :lol:

19. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    What would it hurt to give McNeil his original tender back? It allows McNeil to save a little bit of face but AJ still comes out as the clear winner in the situation. Plus it preservs the relationship with McNeil. Seems like McNeil and his agent are pretty much admitting that they screwed up.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Marcus McNeill is frankly an overrated player. He's not a pro-bowl talent and IMO doesn't deserve top 5 money. The more I look at this, I think the Chargers see it the way I do. I think they will be just fine moving on with Tra Thomas or Dombo if it has to come to that. McNeill has always been average/below average as a run blocker....and I think the number 1 thing that helps our pass blocking is Philip Rivers. His pocket awareness and extremely quick release.

The Vinny Jackson situation makes me far more nervous. We have receivers, but I do think (unlike McNeill) that he is an elite talent. it's too bad he has the character concerns to go with it. I wish we would work something out..but it's not happening. If we can work a trade, that might be our best option at this point.

Merriman just needs to report. He hasn't been an elite player for 3 seasons. That's a long time in the NFL. No one is going to be overly concerned if he tries to sit out the year. We have a lot of LBers that can at least do what he did for us last year.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have posted AJ's quote over and over and over again. 2-3 months ago, he said the team was not going to work on any contracts at the time being. Obviously that time has passed.

By the way, this just shows that the excuse of the CBA uncertainty was complete crap. The CBA is no closer to getting done nor any clearer today than it was 6 months ago. The delay was for no other reason that AJ flexing his muscles and showing the players he is boss.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    A.j. said they'd do gates contract first. Then on from there obviously. Thats what he said.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do have the facts straight.

“Our position now with the labor unrest is we’re going to shut it down and take it slow,” Smith said. “We’re on hold right now. We’re not the lone ranger, but we’re on hold. It’s not forever. I don’t know when we will or when we won’t [start giving out contract extensions]. There is a long list of players in line for them. It’s the longest I’ve ever seen.”

As I said, AJ said they will not be working on long term deals back in June

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    If you are going to quote someone, get it right. Don't make one up to support your point.

"At that time" was in the spring. I would bet even money that if McNeil had signed his original tender, he would be talking new contract with the chargers now or shortly after the Mathews deal is done.

When will these agents get a clue. AJ is consistent in how he deals with these situations and he is not about to change. McNeil got bad advice from his agent.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629

Here you go smart guy.

July 6:
    "“Our position now with the labor unrest is we’re going to shut it down and take it slow,” Smith said. “We’re on hold right now. We’re not the lone ranger, but we’re on hold. It’s not forever. I don’t know when we will or when we won’t [start giving out contract extensions]. There is a long list of players in line for them. It’s the longest I’ve ever seen.”

It may have been said in spring, but it was said again in July

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Taking it slow and I guess the when is now(3 weeks later). They have a long list and I am sorry if Gates was more important then McNeil. AJ has a list and McNeil is ranked on it somewhere and he is just going to have to wait until his number comes up. He should have taken his 3Mil and gotten in line.

28. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I never said it didn't, I was just saying how this refutes denverbolt adamantly saying the chargers don't talk contracts

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    If MM had taken his 3Mil I think he could have been put to the top of the List Line so he would be in camp right now loving that his long term contract would be drawn up so he MM would make Major Bank.

As it is now since MM did not sign his 3Mil Tender he was put back of the List line for getting a long term Contract.

That is just my opinion.

30. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    McNeill needs to fire his agent Keels and go to AJ and ask for his original tender and try to redo his deal. Or MM can sign his existing tender come into camp and try to redo his his existing deal. MM agent totally screwed him over and should be let go by MM.