1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cooper figures he's gone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 7, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Cooper figures he's gone
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    SATURDAY, MARCH 5, 2011 AT 6:03 P.M.

Inside linebacker Stephen Cooper has started 55 games over the past four seasons, more than any Chargers defender besides Quentin Jammer and Shaun Phillips.

He has come a long way in eight years since signing with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent out of Maine -- from longshot to special teamer to backup to mainstay.

His run is likely over. It hasn't been made official, but he knows it.

"I think I'm going to have an opportunity to test the market," Cooper said Saturday.

Cooper has been rehabbing two sprained knees, which he played through for 11 games in 2010, including a masterful performance in the Chargers' Nov. 28 victory at Indianapolis. He said he is "excited" for the opportunity.

The Chargers are, likewise, excited to give Donald Butler a shot at a starting job after he missed his rookie season with a torn Achilles'. And they will likely make a strong run at keeping Kevin Burnett, who will also be an unrestricted free agent.

Cooper figures he's gone - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't let the door hit ya in the ***.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wonder if we would also take a run at Kirk Morrison

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Wouldn't mind that at all Ant.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    At least he is aware of where his career is at/going. RESIGN SILER!! 7th round tender what kinda shi+ is that??

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I believe that would be BULL sh!t.

Get Siler & Burnett re-signed & draft another young stud to bring along with Butler.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I hope they are not banking on Donald Butler. Who the hell knows what we are getting with him.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Apparently the coaches do. Reports had them all very pleased with his progress/performance until the injury.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would love to see us bring in Morrison and Spikes (or bring back Burnett), then re-sign Siler. This give us 2 good veterans to help teach Butler. I would also like ot see us draft another ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. It would give us 5 players, 2 young and 3 veterans

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    Other than Butler getting hurt and missing the entire season I know nothing about him. I don't think AJ would trust a rehabbing, untested player and just give him the starter's job... I mean that sounds like something the Lions would do.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I would love to bring in Captain Kirk too but what's the status on him? Wasn't he picked up by Jax? Is he a FA?

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He was in Jax last year, but is a FA this year

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I say we take a shot at bringing him in. Jax fans seem to think he's too "slow" but admit he's a solid vet. I would love to keep Burnett though. He had a solid season and is a beast when healthy. Burnett and Siler to patrol the middle with Phillips and (gasp) English on the outside. Time to draft a stud pass-rusher, JJ Watt from Wisc. or Cameron Jordan from Cal.