1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coryell a HOF Finalist!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just confirmed via Twitter (@profootballhof) that Don Coryell is a FINALIST!!

I do believe there is one more round of voting, final HOFers announced the Saturday before the Super Bowl(2/6/10) but this is wonderful news!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

2. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Great News

Also he is the only coach that is a finalist - not sure if that increases his odds any or not but maybe

3. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Coryell among 15 Hall of Fame finalists

Former Chargers coach gets boost from Fouts, Gibbs

By Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Friday, January 8, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.

[​IMG] / U-T file photo
    This undated file photo shows Don Coryell in a familiar pose on the sidelines.

Don Coryell just took a giant step closer to a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, advancing to the final round of 15 nominees for the first time, it was announced Friday.

The former Chargers and St. Louis Cardinals head coach, who already earned a spot in the College Football Hall of Fame for his success at San Diego State, made it with a groundswell of support for his candidacy that included the strong endorsements of a pair of Pro Football Hall of Famers with San Diego ties, ex-Chargers quarterback Dan Fouts and Joe Gibbs, an assistant under Coryell with the Chargers and SDSU.

Coryell, 85 years old and struggling with serious health issues in a San Diego hospital, is almost as identified with the Chargers’ vaunted passing attack as originator Sid Gillman.

Obviously, his candidacy for Canton had been hurt by the fact that he never coached in a Super Bowl, but it’s just as obvious that the dominance of pass-oriented teams in today’s NFL in large part stems from the way Air Coryell winged the ball around in the late 1970s and 1980s.
    “He means so much to so many people that have been in this game,” Chargers head coach Norv Turner said Thursday. “This (offensive) system started with him. And it’s gone off with players and coaches — (so many) you can’t start to name them all.”

Coryell had a regular-season NFL coaching record of 111-83-1 (.572 winning percentage) in 14 seasons — nine with the Chargers (69-56) and five with the Cardinals (42-27-1). He was just 3-6 in nine playoff games.
    Coryell was one of 15 finalists chosen to go with two previously announced senior nominees, Floyd Little and Dick LeBeau. The 15 men came from a group of 25 semifinalists picked from a list of 131 preliminary nominees.

At the selection meeting Feb. 6 (the day before the Super Bowl) in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a committee will vote on the two senior nominees, with 80 percent approval required for election. Then a vote will reduce the list of 15 modern-era candidates to 10, and another vote will winnow that list to 5. Those five remaining candidates will be voted on individually; those receiving at least 80 percent approval will be elected.

Two of the first-time nominees, Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith, must be considered locks. That leaves Coryell in a group of 13 battling for the other three spots in the final five.
    Those 13: Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Roger Craig, Dermonti Dawson, Richard Dent, Russ Grimm, Charles Haley, Rickey Jackson, Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Andre Reed and Shannon Sharpe.

Carter, Dawson, Dent, Grimm, Kennedy, Randle, Reed and Sharpe have all been finalists previously. Along with Coryell, who has been eligible for induction for 23 years, the other first-time finalists who had been eligible in the past are Craig, Haley and Jackson.

The election results will be announced at 2 p.m. PST on Feb. 6.

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Is this the first time Coryell has made it this far? He really needs to be in Canton. Hope he gets in this year. When you look at the list he should be an easy choice. :bolt:

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    About time. :tup:

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Only 3 spots open (assuming Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith are locks) so I really really really REALLY hope those lucky few who have a say make the right call and vote him in.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's alot of people fighting with Coryell for a shot at Canton, and alot of them are convincing hall of famers themselves. This will be tough, I'm just going to hope for the best

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Coryell in a group of 13 battling for the other three spots in the final five.
    Those 13: Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Roger Craig, Dermonti Dawson, Richard Dent, Russ Grimm, Charles Haley, Rickey Jackson, Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Andre Reed and Shannon Sharpe.

Pick three out of that group that deserve it MORE than Don.

Maybe Roger Craig, Richard Dent, John Randle?

HE'S IN!! :tup:

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    About ****ing time! :tup: :abq2:

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    None of those guys came close to changing the game like Coryell. A bunch of good but not really great players to compete against.

I think his real competition is Floyd Little and Lebeau. There are amazingly few Bronco HOFers so I think either Little or Sharpe are in for sure as sympathy votes.

This is the time. Lightning must strike this time.

The man is the number two architect of the modern game.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The HOF has taken a fantastic role as of late honoring the legacy of AFL teams and the teams they bred which would make Coryell a top pick as an architect of the modern air attack in the NFL.

12. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Little and LeBeau are Senior committee candidates and are voted on separately from the Modern Era candidates, so they will not affect if Coryell gets in or not.

Of the non-lock guys I think the guys most likely to get in are Coryell (only non-player on the list), Carter, and either Sharpe or Haley, LeBeau will probably get in also.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I agree with Sharpe, maybe Carter. But out of that group NOBODY is more deserving the the Don!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Not true. The process ensures that two seniors get into the finals that is all. At this point they are all equal. Now that they are at the 17 finalists all that matters is getting 80% vote.

A minimum of 4 have to be voteed in out of the finalists and a maximum of 7.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not reading it the same way..

At the selection meeting Feb. 6 (the day before the Super Bowl) in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.,

a committee will vote on the two senior nominees, with 80 percent approval required for election.

Then a vote will reduce the list of 15 modern-era candidates to 10, and another vote will winnow that list to 5.

Those five remaining candidates will be voted on individually; those receiving at least 80 percent approval will be elected.

16. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    It's abound frickin' time. It's ashame it has taken 23yrs to get to this point and he is not a lock yet. Way too many modern day coaches point to Air Coryell as a major influence in their own passing schemes. I can't tell you how many times I've heard or read the contributions he has made to this great game. I hope Mr. Coryell, heavy on the Mr., gets healthy enough to enjoy a well deserved induction into the HOF. It will be a cherry on top for him when the Bolts win the SB this year. Prayers for Coryell and his family. Hang in there Don, your day is coming. Dan Fouts deserves major credit for all the hard work he has done to get his coach inducted.

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

17. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I really hope Coach gets the call this year. My hope is he can hang on long enough, and get healthy enough, to accept the award. I agree that Fouts deserves major props for his work for bringing attention to this injustice.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Best of luck to Coach Coryell - he certainly deserves to be in.

On a side note - Emmitt's acceptance speech could be pure comedy gold with the way that he slays the English language. :lol:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sweet! Hope he gets it!!

20. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Would love to see the coach get in. Well deserved! I am still waiting to go to Canton to see my first Charger get inducted. Thought it was going to be Seau but he will play forever it seems.

21. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'll walk to Canton, to see Coryell inducted. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    word :yes: