1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

COTTRELL PIMPS JAMAL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070824-9999-1s24chnotes.html

Cottrell: Williams 'best nose tackle I've ever coached'

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 24, 2007
    Ted Cottrell yesterday completed his 23rd training camp as a coach in the NFL.
    One thing in particular has stood out to him as he has spent his first few months in charge of the Chargers defense.

“Jamal Williams is the best nose tackle I've ever coached,” said Cottrell, who worked with Ted Washington in Buffalo and Pat Williams in New York (Jets). “This guy is better than them. He's never getting pushed back. All those guys were pretty stout run defenders. Jamal has a little bit of pass rush in him. He gets up the field so much. He's not one of these guys who gets caught. This guy has that little added thing where his feet keep moving. You never see him get pushed back. He's always changing the line of scrimmage. He's a dominant player.”

Cottrell believes, too, that the three-time All-Pro has added a dimension to his game this year.

“Everybody knows Jamal is a good player. Now Jamal is stepping himself up as a leader,” Cottrell said. “He's a quiet dude. Now he's being just a little more outgoing.”

Warning bell

Philip Rivers has a sense that so many great quarterbacks have. It is called pocket presence, and awareness of approaching danger when dropping back to pass and an ability to deftly step to safety and make a play.
    But he's not psychic, as it appeared on one play last weekend in St. Louis.

In the first quarter, Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten got past Marcus McNeill and was closing in on Rivers directly from behind. Rivers suddenly ducked, rolled left and threw a 28-yard completion to Antonio Gates. Such a drastic movement by Rivers indicated there had to be some warning. He does not have eyes in the back of his head.

“I heard the loudest yelp,” Rivers acknowledged. “That's why I went like that. I thought he was fixing to just rip it. I asked Marcus, 'Was that you telling me to look out?' He said it was the other guy. It was the other guy who was yelling – going 'Aaaah!' ”

Less of him

Tight end Brandon Manumaleuna is noticeably trimmer, on his way down from the 315 pounds he played at last year and closer to 300 as training camp closed. :icon_eek:

“It's not so much for football but healthwise,” the 27-year-old Manumaleuna said. “I feel I can play at either weight, but I'm getting older in years.”

Manumaleuna was listed at 288 last season. Laughable. :yes: But perhaps no more, since he has been working with a nutritionist and working to trim down.

“The way it's been going it's not out of reach to be 285,” he said.

Nuts 'n' Bolts
    Igor Olshansky did not practice again, instead working on the side as he rehabilitates a lingering groin injury. Olshansky will not play in tomorrow's exhibition game at Arizona but is expected to return next week............

Click on link for more ........

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Jamauler is the bread winner.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hi Leisure, nice to meet you.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    We got Brandon McKinney as Jamal's backup. And he's better than Pat Williams

:yes:

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I don't know why they'd even play jamall in the 4th preseason game. Let him relax before its time to turn him loose. Any news that mckinney is healing.

This week ought to be interesting with mckinney and jamall not playing. Means we'll have our lighter d-tackles doing the buisness. Gonna be interesting to see how the defense is changed because of that. Might be a big suggestion to try and find another man monster next year if our d-line in this arizona game can't hold up.

6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    McKinney's out of his boot and walking. He'll miss tomorrow's game, but should be ready for the 4th preseason game versus the 49ers.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He wanted too much money for a fat slob.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Welcome back Leisure. Nice to see you've come back in midseason form.

9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ...and when my Boy Brandon is out - we've got Lewis Leonard to plug in. Don't believe in HIM? Just ask Bulldog Boy - HE will tell ya! (evil little grin).

10. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    If we've really found and adequate backup for him we may be able to keep him in top form for several years longer.

11. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    He (Pat Williams) still plays at a high level and looked good this preseason. Im sure the money he wanted was fair...even for him being a fat slob....but not fair enough to pay for a backup.

That said, I dont think that McKinney has proven enough (not even close) to saying he is better than Pat Williams.

The last few years I have been DELIGHTED to see the Defense play up to the level they were at. It all started in 04 when Wade and Jamal converged. Now Wade is gone and Ted has all of those tools at his disposal...including a Veteran Jamal. I want to scare people this year. I want to see QBs and coaches yelling at each other on the sidelines. I want to see "skill players" disappearing under a cloud of dust and a pile of Blue and Gold, only to emerge "less lucid" than they entered.

Cmon Ted....you have a full arsenal at your disposal. Swing for the fences.

:icon_bow: :jamal76:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think maybe he wouldn't want to be an underpaid as a back up here when he could be a starter elsewhere. He seems to be doing rather well in Minnesota. A manster for the nose is probably the major priority of next year's draft. We have more depth than any other team in the NFL. I'm really enjoying the "tastes great"-"less filling" debate on the DB's, too, but I drink Steinlager or Guiness. Or Cognac. Or Single malts. Or Saphire. Or Champaigne. Anything but Miller Lite. I think things will sort themselvs out quite nicely in the next two weeks and I refuse to let dispepsia spoil this evenings vodka tonics, which I forgot to mentiion in the above.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have champagne tastes but a beer budget so Miller Lite is my favorite :lol:

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :bolt: Mad Man Love for Big Mal!:bolt:

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Pat Williams is a fat arsed old man. He's older than Jamal and will be out of the league within 3 years.

By that time, Brandon McKinney will be so much improved and polished he'll be obvious as Jamal's heir apparent.

Which would you rather have as Jamal's backup. Some old dude who will be done in 3 years, or a young soon-to-be stud that can take over for him in 3 or 4 years?

16. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Hold on there. McKinney needs to prove that he can be a solid BACKUP before he can even dream of being the Great Jamal's heir. This is the first season of any rumblings that he would have a permanent future as a Charger, coming straight from the UFA ranks and the practice squad. And people wanna anoint him as a future replacement at the most important position on our D? True, he is a much more ideal and realistic backup than Pat Williams, with his age and price range which I believe is the argument here, but he is just now beating out Bingham as the backup NT.

That being said, I don't blame anyone for jumping on the bandwagon so soon. In my opinion, he is gonna take the same route as Stephen Cooper in becoming a solid player for us. From an undrafted player, to a serviceable backup, as he already is, to splitting reps with the aging starter, and eventually, taking over the spot permanently and succeeding. Of course, that's unless we pick-up a stud NT player like Jamal or Casey Hampton in the next draft.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    That's why I said 3 to 4 years before he can replace Jamal.

18. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    The one thing that encourages me about Jamal and McKinney is the career path.........seems like some of these dominant big guys (300 + pounds) can have nice long careers, maybe its because speed is not a part of their game, which is one skill that erodes over time....but guys like Lo Neal and Jamal remain professional and POWERFUL well into their 30's. McKinney should take note, someday his day will come.....and AJ would be smart to sign him to a Cesaire-esque contract.....or maybe one similar to the earlier one's Jamal signed before he got paid BIG TIME the last contract. Here's to seeing McKinney dominate against the 9'ers next week, showing the staff the sky is not falling if we do not get a stud in the draft next year at Nose.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :yes: :yes: Gotta love The Wall!!

On another note - I don't like LT doing the Chunky soup commercial. Yes, I AM superstitious. :icon_eek: