1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cottrell says Bolts are close

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sep 18, 2008

During a roughly 15-minute interview Thursday afternoon, Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell used the word “close” nearly a dozen times.

“That doesn’t change the fact that we haven’t won yet,” Cottrell acknowledged. “But we’re doing some good things and we’re close. We’re going to get there.”

Cottrell is well aware of the numbers. Through two games, the Chargers have given up 65 points and are ranked 30th in the NFL in total defense. Head Coach Norv Turner is disappointed in the number of big plays his club has allowed, but like Cottrell, he sees very minor, correctable mistakes making a big difference.

“We have a lot of plays in that game where we have one guy just out of position or we’re a step away from getting a pressure and those things we can improve on,” Turner said.

Cottrell finds some solace in the fact that his club is so close on so many plays partially because he didn’t feel that way a year ago when the Bolts went 1-3 in the first month of the season.

“Last year, we had guys running wide open,” Cottrell said. “We’re not having that problem. We’ve just got to be closer in our coverage. Last year we turned a couple guys loose. We haven’t done that.”

Cottrell finds encouragement over the way his defense has played in the second half, although he’s a little frustrated with their execution in the first two quarters of games.

Against Denver, they allowed just 157 yards and eight points in the second half after giving up 329 yards and 31 points in the first two quarters. In the opener against Carolina, the Panthers racked up 281 yards in the opening half and just 107 in the second.

Cottrell can’t point to huge changes in scheme. Opponents have thrown a few new wrinkles at the Chargers, and in the second half they’ve responded well.

“It’s nothing magical,” Cottrell said. “We’ve done a couple things but we haven’t revamped our game plan at halftime. Once they see it, they go, “Hey, here’s what we’re supposed to be doing. The other team tries to do the same thing and we shut it down.”

Cottrell also hangs his hat on the effort his players have shown and the way they’ve responded to a little adversity early in year.

“The guys are playing hard,” Cottrell said. “There’s nothing wrong with their hustle or intensity, things like that. We’ve settled in pretty good in the second half. It’s just the execution of the calls.”

During their 11-5 campaign a year ago, the Chargers hung their hat on pressuring the opposing quarterback and forcing turnovers. In the first two games this season, they have just two takeaways and two sacks. Cottrell thinks both of those areas can be improved.

“Sacks will start coming,” Cottrell said. “We’re working hard. There were some times (at Denver) where guys were beating their guy but (Cutler) wasn’t holding the ball. It was coming out fast. We’ve got to tighten the coverage up, make him pat (the ball) and then we have a chance.

“We’re going to get there. We’ve got a good group of guys and they don’t like that they’re 0-2. We’ve had a good couple days of practice. We’re close.”

Chargers.com

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    close to what? :icon_evil:

3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

Giving up 50?

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    FU Ted.

Fat fuk must be running for a Cabinet position because Favre is going to shred us. :yes:

Get ready for Shotgun and five wide because we're fuked. The Jets will be bringing a few fans to play WR to help with the five-wide.

And we'll rush four patty-cake playing overpaid fuks that expect our corners to cover for 8 to 30 seconds.

This **** is ugly folks. :bolt:

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...He's just a babbling fool. He probably gets almost as many insulting emails as Hochuli, so he figured he'd better come out and say something, anything.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You guys are all wrong. The D comes out strong on MNF and shuts Favre down!

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You sound like me last year! :lol:

I think Favre is gonna be fuucked this time around. His team hasn't yet faced an offense with this kind of firepower. The Bolts will get out to a big lead early and then it's GO TIME for the pass rush.

I smell blowout. Even Fat Teddy can't Fuuck this one up. :icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Even when the defense started playing better last year it took me a while to have faith ini Jabba because ive never liked his defenses much.

Still dont and am back to no faith in him.

Get some pressure Jabba and for cris sakes disguise a blitz once in a while.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Fuk I'll be cheering like a mother with a couple other NorCal psycho Boltheads.

What the fuk is going to change?

I think we're toast (pun intended). :bolt:

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

:blink:

I think he can but hope he wont

11. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Shaun Phillips where are you?????? :icon_shrug::tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  12. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Your rotten ****in' attitude for one thing.

I say this with all due respect as a fellow norcal bolt fan.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I know. But fuk this patty-cake bullshit.

14. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Fukin Hit Somebody!!!!

We haven't even enjoyed a LEGIT sack yet. :tdown:

15. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Well, Monday night Farve will spend considerable time star gazing.

We go on a rampage starting Monday!

16. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    :icon_rofl:

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is liable to be one of those games where the last team to have to ball will score the winning points. I figure both Favre and Rivers are going to put up big numbers, unless this defense begins to gel earlier than last season. There was a glimmer light in the second half against Denver, but then they blew out the candle.

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Lets all pull our boltcash and hire someone to kidnap TC before the game so Rivera can run this show. lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Ummmmm...... why aren't we "there" yet? Didn't the Chargers have the same amount of time to prepare as all the other teams?

God, this fat piece of crap is..... a fat piece of crap.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    At least throw in some safety and corner blitzes to apply some pressure on Favre so he can't stand back there and film a commercial while he is picking us apart.

Here's hoping we can at least get #4's jersey dirty.

Of course, if our offense can sustain drives, eat the clock and score touchdowns instead of field goals we can defend Favre by keeping him off of the field.

Go Chargers!!!...knock the "F" out of _avre!!!!

:flag:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I can't stand Ted either but Jets are not a good team, even with Farve.

So they beat up on the Dolphins. Is that suppose to be impressive?!!
    We saw how they did against a good team (missing their main weapon).

I think this is a chance for the defense to get it's identity. They played very well in the second half last week.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Getting his fat *** canned, I hope. :icon_evil:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Maybe they will start the game in the 4th qtr and count down.:icon_huh::icon_shrug::icon_tease:

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    We said the same thing about denver:unsure:

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And we WON that game.

The Jets did not beat up on the Dolphins at all. I watched a lot of that game and Favre was a lucky throw away from being "Bad Brett". Then they lost to a mediocre Patriots team that barely beat the WORST TEAM in the league... the Chiefs.

Maybe I'm gonna look like an a/ssclown for making this predicton, but I truly believe this game won't even be close. The Bolts will put on a show on both sides of the ball, Aaron Rodgers will have played a good game against the Cowboys on Sunday night, and Brett will be left answering all of the questions he's dreaded since taking the Jets job... including: "Brett, do you still think this was the right move?"

PLEASE FAT TEDDY... DON'T **** THIS UP AND MAKE ME LOOK LIKE THE A/SSCLOWN WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE!!!

27. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm not saying they don't but until they do Cotrell is just spewing hot air.

It reminds me of the off-season. Every year players from every team in the league talk about how "this year" things are different before they have even played a single game. For some teams things are different, for most things are not different. It's talk.

The proof is in the pudding. And from the looks of Cotrell... he's full of it.

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :tdown:

29. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Nah not looking like an ******** cause I have been saying the same thing. The Chargers are going to come out pissed off at what happened last week. And are going to lay wood in front of their capacity crowd.

34-13

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1