1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

'Couch' taunt still irks Bulluck

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolt Action, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    By JIM WYATT
    and PAUL KUHARSKY
    Staff Writers

Linebackers Keith Bulluck and Shaun Phillips exchanged words and had to be separated as the Titans and Chargers left the field after San Diego's 23-17 overtime victory on Dec. 9.

But something said by another Chargers linebacker, Shawne Merriman, is what Bulluck remembers most heading into Sunday's rematch at San Diego.

"Comments were made after that game that we would see them from our couch watching the playoffs,'' Bulluck said. "They need to retract that statement. We are coming to see them on
    Sunday.''

Bulluck was complimentary of several Chargers, running back LaDainian Tomlinson and tight end Antonio Gates in particular.

As for the Chargers he doesn't like, he wouldn't single them out by name.

"They have guys on their team that may be in position to say things and for the most part they are professional players and they really don't say much,'' Bulluck said. "But then they have a bunch of guys on their team that jump on coattails. Maybe haven't been in the league but for three or four years and they like to run their mouth.

"But we don't get into that. … We just have to focus and get ready to play against great running back and a talented tight end and a great team.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/SPORTS01/801040393/1328/SPORTS

So now I guess Merriman hasn't earned "the right" to say anything yet either. :icon_huh:

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It should bug him. It probably won't help him when his offense is getting manhandled by Castillo & Co., but I'm glad to know Keith is alive and kickin'.

Phillips also said he would have playoff tix available to the Titans if they wanted to come watch the game.

Fact is, while the Chargers earned their way into the playoffs this year, the Titans backed in on the help of their division rival (Colts). It's the end of the line for these guys this year. And if I'm wrong about that I'm gonna send AJ my middle finger in a box for his birthday. :lol:

3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Let Tenn. keep talking :yes: I like how are players aren't getting in a "quote war" with these guys. Keep your mouths shut and let the scoreboard do the talking :yes:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Is it just me or do the Titans sound like that kid back in elementary school that would snivel and whine about how the other side 'is picking on him!'?

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm glad our players aren't saying ****. :bolt:

Bullock is actually a great player and a respectable guy but it's obvious the Titans want our players to start chirping. Ain't gonna happen.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    :icon_rofl:

7. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm still trying to figure out what you need to accomplish that puts you in "position to say things ". Do you need a certain number of years in the league? Do you have to reach a certain level of accomplishment? I would say making the Pro-Bowl every year since you've been in the league would qualify as accomplishing something but I digress....:icon_shrug:

8. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    What the hell is with these players who aren't used to smack talk during the game on the field?

Even high school refs talk trash during the game. Perhaps being a professional means you're a more sensitive type.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Yeah, the hatred for Merriman is pretty ridiculous. Shawne has been a force since entering the league. All of these older players want to act like he hasn't accomplished anything when the truth is that he's accomplished more in three years than alot of them have accomplished in their careers.

I really like Bulluck. He's a baller. But before he focuses on the Chargers young players talking **** when they haven't accomplished anything, he should look at his own squad. Lendale White has yet to average 4 yards per carry for a season and he has the balls to mock LT's TD celebration. :lol:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    These dudes need to walk to CVS and find the Vagisil. If you are playing football, smack talk WILL happen. I love how everyone gets pissed about Rivers backing up his defense, but Wes Welker gets away with screaming "YOU ****ING SUCK!" to a cornerback loud enough for me to hear it through the tv on Sunday Night football. Bunch of hypocrites in the media and a bunch of whiners on the field. Of course the talkers should shut up and play football, but at the same time we all should stop speeding when we drive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Keep talking, Tennessee... Keep talking...

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    It is funny. If it were Merriman commenting on being told he would see the playoffs from the couch, we would be behind him. Commenting on how he was going to jack the Titans up ect...

But now the Titan doing the same thing is different... Guess its a homer thing...

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Hmmmmmmm

I'm still irked by all of the cheap shots, and hits after the whistle. Something tells me that the Chargers are as well. This isn't the same team you faced in Tennessee. They are better, healthier, and at home. I would be surprised if Tennessee scores more than ten points on Sunday.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    I am afraid you have that right. I jsut hope we dont get too bloodied in delivering a right proper whoop arse on them!

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    First, the Chargers players failed to STFU AGAIN after the Tenn game. When will these guys stop RUNNING THEIR FUKING MOUTHS IN THE PRESS!!!

Merriman disrespected the Pats last year prior to them playing the Jets in the wild card game when he said we would be playing the Jets.
    They came here with a big fuking chip on their shoulders, got in the heads of the players and took the game.

Now after the Tenn game they go running their mouths in the press AGAIN dropping sitting on the couch remarks when Tenn was not yet eliminated. :no:

STFU ALREADY!!

I have no issue with the on the field yaking. Part of the game. But leave the comments out of the press.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Did Merriman run this down in the press or did Bulluck repeat to the Tennessee media? He made the comment coming off the field. So far their remarks to the press haven't been insulting to Tennessee. That being said, do we know who the official crew are Sunday?

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm right there with you, man. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    He was quoted in the paper.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071210-9999-1s10chside2.html

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I share this concern. I'm expecting this game to be just as chippy as the first game, which makes me nervous. As much as I'd like to see us get a little "payback" for cheap shots received last game, I don't want to lose a star to a "hit" when things get too personal. I think the refs usually try not to get over involved in playoff games, but I bet both teams are going to be on very short leashes as far as late hits and pushin' and shovin' go.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357

The importance of this stuff gets overstated. The outcome of this game is not going to be decided based on what someone says in the press. Merriman had a right to be pizzed after that game. He was dominating, and the cheap ****ing Titans injured him with a dirty play.

As far as learning their lesson, the Chargers haven't said **** this week. The Titans, on the other hand, are blabbering away. Mawae called Merriman immature. Bulluck called him out. I think Merriman will have an answer come Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    It was a cheap shot and I have no problem with him saying THAT in the press. But the from the sofa remarks, he needs to put that away.

Those things that get said in the press, always come back. The entire Tenn team has the "couch/sofa" remarks plaster on their lockers. We don't need to be giving them motivation. That is my issue.

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    That comment was made immediately after the game. It would be reiterating what he said to Bulluck on the field. Taken in context weeks after the game, it's not really bulletin board material. Bulluck and some of the other Titans appear to be taunting our guys to goad them into saying something stupid the week of the playoffs. So far it ain't hapnin. What this says to me is that they are a lot more nervous about this game than we are. Losing a 4th qtr. lead like that can make you sweat, especailly after unconvincingly beating a team that left a lot of starters on the bench to get into the playoffs.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    Yes it was made immediately after the game, but they remember it now. Like in my reply to BSBB, the bolts don't need to give Tenn motivation. That fact that the Titans players are still talking about it, means they have not forgotten at all.

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Kwak our guys haven't said anything this week and that's all we can do at this point even though the Titans keep trying to start a war of words. JMO. What's done is done.

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    And I am happy that they are keeping quiet. Let Tenn yak away.

Bring it to the field, leave it on the field.

26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect that taunting will be redundant after this game is done.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was watching NFLN today - the wild card edition of "Point After". They were talking to Strahan, asking him about some comments that Ronde Barber directed towards She-li. I thought that Strahan made a good point when he said that most of this BS doesn't affect the players' ability to get "up" for a game.

If lose or go home doesn't motivate you enough, then you must be dead.

Let's let our performance on the field do the talking. I want 2 things from Sunday's game - a win & no injuries. :tup:

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Dear Keith Bulluck,
    I guess I shouldn't have said that you'd watch the playoffs from your couch. I'll be sure to say it this time when we put you guys down.

Love,
    Shaun Phillips

29. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    every dam team has been sounding like little kids complaining about talkn and rivers talkn trash, this is footall not golf shut ur mouths up

30. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Exactly!! kinda like the kid that got hit in the face playing dodge ball.:lol: