1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could '06 Bolts beat '63 champs?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by O'reilly, Nov 28, 2006.

1. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Could '06 Bolts beat '63 champs?
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/magee/20061126-9999-1s26nflcol.html

UNION-TRIBUNE
    November 26, 2006

In local sporting circles, guys are taking sides concerning the relative merits of the current Chargers team and the Chargers team of the “Air Coryell” years.

Excuse me, but permit me to suggest that something is being forgotten. I refer to the 1963 team, the only one in the 46-year history of the franchise to claim a league championship. Yes, it was in the American Football League, but league affiliation is not at issue here. People are. As the late Sid Gillman liked to say, “Football is a game of people. Just give me the people.” And Sir Sidney had some.

Two members of that team, wide receiver Lance Alworth and offensive tackle Ron Mix, are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Quarterback Tobin Rote was the consummate professional, not possessed of the strongest arm at this phase of his career but a master ball-handler and an orchestrator of experience and insight. Behind Rote was John Hadl, waiting to realize his potential. Running backs Paul Lowe and Keith Lincoln formed as able a tandem as one could imagine. In the defense were such redoubtables as end Earl Faison, tackle Ernie Ladd and middle linebacker Chuck Allen.
    In the AFL Championship Game against the then-Boston Patriots in Balboa Stadium on Jan. 6, 1964, Gillman utilized Lowe largely as a decoy, often putting him in motion, which few professional teams did in that time. The coach's tactic freed Lincoln to rush for 206 yards in 13 attempts, catch seven passes for 123 yards, complete a 20-yard pass and score two touchdowns. :icon_eek: The Chargers cruised 51-10, with Rote throwing for two touchdowns and Hadl for one.

At a Hall of Fame function in Canton, Ohio, I once had a conversation with Gale Sayers in which Sayers volunteered that he felt the Chargers of '63 would have outscored the Chicago Bears of '63. The Bears captured the NFL championship that year by defeating the New York Giants 14-10. (Sayers would not join the Bears until 1965.)

Sayers offered the point that the Bears' leading running back during their championship season was Ronnie Bull. A decent enough back, I would say, but not to be compared with either Lincoln or Lowe. Sayers agreed. The Bears' quarterback was Billy Wade. Nothing he achieved exceeded what Rote did with Green Bay, Detroit and finally San Diego. The Bears had no one on the outside to rival Alworth. No team did, no matter what the league.

“We're the champions of the world,” insisted Gillman following his side's conquest of the Patriots.

“Make no mistake, they were great today,” Boston coach Mike Holovak said of the winners.

In my mind, they remain great. The passing of time can lend greater grandeur to events than, in truth, they possessed, but I do not believe that in the context of the club's history the '63 Chargers can be assessed as anything other than as the franchise's finest. They were league champions. None of the San Diego teams that would follow them has had this distinction.

I did, I might note, look in on every game Don Coryell's teams played and I have seen a good bit of Marty Schottenheimer's current squad. To recite Dan Fouts' apt words, Coryell was “on the cutting edge” of football, giving the game dimensions wholly his own. That he is not in the Hall of Fame is an injustice. In Canton, coaches should be recognized for the advances for which they are responsible, not for victories and defeats, and no one ever had a more profound influence on how football is played than Coryell.

Just look around any NFL Sunday. What you see will be procedures founded by Coryell.

Adjudge them solely on how they played offense and Coryell's teams would be incomparable. Football, though, has other aspects. The Chargers were defensively flawed through Coryell's time with them. They played “break serve” football. If they could stop a rival short of the end zone, they had broken serve. They didn't do it often.

How the present Chargers are to be remembered is still to be established, but they would seem to have the stuff of champions. LT is a marvel. One can only thrill to Philip Rivers' skills and his aplomb. The defense doesn't always perform to the sum of the players' abilities, but it can be dominating. The team further has great depth, which the '63 Chargers did not. How could they? The player limit in the AFL in that year was 35. :icon_eek:

“In a lot of ways, I think we are similar,” said Lowe when he was invited to compare the 1963 team and the 2006 team. “They have three good backs,” noted Lowe. “Lorenzo Neal is a good blocker and Michael Turner would be a starter on anybody else's team. But we had Ladd and Faison playing defense. We had no weaknesses. I was very proud of our team.”

With reason, I say.

Jerry Magee: (619) 293-1830; jerry.magee@uniontrib.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Concur. Jerry Magee is a fossil. OF COURSE he's going to like the '63 team. Give me a break. :no:

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    For fun, I simulated the game @ http://www.whatifsports.com putting the 2004 Chargers against the 1963 Chargers. The 04 team killed them 31-3 so I'll go with the 2006 Bolts over the 1963 Bolts 63 to 0.

No realistically, it was a different time with way different athletes. The players back in the day were tougher IMO, but today's teams are far more athletic and faster, so you got to go with the modern day NFl squad.

Check out the 2004 Chargers vs 1963 Chargers Boxscore
    http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/boxscore.asp?GameID=2327237&ad=1

4. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    The one thing I will say is that I would LOVE to see todays puzzy QB's and receivers play one game back in that era when there was for all intents and purposes NO PASS INTERFERENCE as receivers were mugged and beaten all the way downfield...
    No Roughing the Passer as nobody cared how late you hit the QB...Shots to the Head of the QB, Helmet to Helmet hits and Spearing were all legal...as were Closeline Tackles and Horsecollar tackles...
    None of this wuzzy Peyton Manning complaining to the League that his receivers were getting "roughed up by the Patriot secondary so they change the rules...:icon_rofl:
    I don't know of a QB or receiver today that would last an entire season back in that day...I don't care how BIG AND FAST they are...today, they are all PUZZIES...:tdown:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    ok,... I'll go old school... the '63 O-line was better...

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    That's still really hard to swallow when you considered the hard hitting talent that team had. And you can't seriously tell me that Alworth would'nt've smoked Jammer on a number of ocassions

7. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    and DLine...:icon_toast: :icon_banana:

8. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Try one with the 64 passing rules...:icon_rofl:

Today's team would quit...:yes:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Church M'fer

10. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    It works both ways. Alworth wouldn't catch a pass with Jammer beating him up. QJ is too big, and faster and quicker than Alworth in his prime.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I don't know... wash maybe... for as good Ladd & Faison were, Williams and Castillo may be better...

the 63 secondary would've been asking for "mercy rule" at half time... and with all due respect to Kocourek/MacKinnon, Gates would kill em... and, of course, there weren't manny 6'5" WR's in those days... the corners were what 5'9"..... :icon_eek:

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Puh leeze
    Alworth has more talent then Jammer

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're forgetting one thing, the old guys would have to get close enough to today's receivers to beat them up. If you put a guy like LT in motion and he got a free release off the line, he would torch them with his speed.

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You can't compair eras like that. How would we do today with a 35 man roster limit. Are you kidding me?

I do like that the article comapirs the '63 Chargers tot he '63 Bear which won the NFL Championship that year. If the AFL/NFL merger had happened earlier, we would have beaten the Bear that year and had a Super Bowl ring. The Chargers were the best professional football team period in 1963 and when jackass Raider fans say we have no Championships, they are dead wrong.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This coming from someone that wasn't born until Air Coryell was half done. I'm not trying to give you **** Ant, but you can't compare eras like that. But you can say the '63 Chargers were Champions. I hope to be saying the same thing about this years team in early February.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    yeah, he does that today.... :lol:
    Chuck Allen was one of my All-time favorites at ILB, but I'm sure he shakes his head when he sees LT....

however, Lincoln & Lowe were not chopped liver either...

17. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Yeah, but they could beat the hell out of the receivers back then...:icon_rofl:

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    my favorite games were watching Biletnikoff & Alworth one-up one another... a ballet on grass....

• Like Like x 1
  19. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Gotta get past the linebackers closeline first...:lol:

20. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    The beating those guys took going out on their patterns was hard to watch sometimes...I used to cringe at the shots those guys would take before the ball even got close to them...you had to be a real MAN to play WR back in that era...Puzzies need not apply...:no:

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Are you kidding, LT with his moves? Good luck trying to clothesline him. :icon_banana:

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Another thing.

How would Shawne Merriman, Shaun Phillips, Jamal, Igor, and Luis do against the smaller OL of 1963?

I doubt you had 300 lb OL back then. You have 270 lb LB, 300 LB DE, and a 340 LB NT going up against a 1963 OL that averaged only 260 lbs at best.

Would Hadl even have time to be able to pass to Alworth?

Would Lincoln and Lowe be able to run against our front 7?

Could the 1963 Chargers secondary handle our 6' 5" WR and 6' 4" Antonio Gates?

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    OTOH, the '63 squad's base 4-3 D mighta been hardta run on...plus only one guy atta time could be in motion.

DB's like Lester "The Molester Hayes" and Jack "They call me Assassin" Tatum didn't pick their names outuv a ******* Jack Box.

I'da loved ta seen Bambi and Gary Garrison with the 5 yard no chuck rule!!

And Tobin Rote was a tough sumb1tch!!

24. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    The '06 Raiders secondary had no problem with them...:icon_rofl:

25. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    Just takes one lucky shot to decapitate...even the best RB's got closelined on their way out of the backfield in the day...:lol:

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    These old-school vs. new school questions always crack me up.

The '63 team would physically look like a junior-college team compared to the '06 team. There's just no comparison in terms of size and speed. I'm not saying the '63 team wouldn't put up a fight but...

Well, yeah that is what I'm saying. It would be ugly. It would be like the Chargers playing a solid NCAA team.

27. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    This is a very interesting discussion. Good thread idea. :tup:

It's cool to hear insights from the 2 or 3 Charger fans who are old enough to have actually seen the '63 team play. :yes:

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, but none of those guys had the speed and athleticism of LT. In case you hadn't notice, the players are getting bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic.