1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could "AJ to Turner" be "Pioli to Belichick"?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Feb 19, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Bill Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 1991-1995. In that time he compiled a 36-44 record, and alienating the fans by benching then cutting fave Bernie Kosar. His last season there, the team went 5-11.

For the next couple of years, Belichick followed Bill Parcells around as a coordinator, first to the Patriots, then to the Jets. When Parcells left the Jets, Belichick was hired by New England, where he goes 5-11 in his first season.

Up to this point in time, Bill Belichick is a failure at the head coaching level. He only has 1 winning season on the books. He has a total 41 wins and 55 losses. He's a retread, a loser, with only 1 playoff win to his name. Sound familiar?

He joins the Patriots in 2000 along with a new General Manager, Scott Pioli, who was given his first league job as a pro-personnel assistant by Bill Belichick himself, in Cleveland. The two are good friends and see eye-to-eye on personnel and team decisions. Sound familiar?

The Patriots win the Superbowl suddenly in 2001, and the rest is history.

From AJ's and Turner's interviews today, it is important to note that they are comfortable with each other. They were assistants together, and now they're together atop their respective career paths. They see eye to eye on building a championship squad. Dean-AJ-Norv, like Kraft-Pioli-Belichick, are now all on the same page, with the same goal - the Lombardi.

I have been on the record as wanting Rex Ryan here. I was disappointed and irritated when I heard it was Norv Turner this morning. But I have thought about it now for a few hours, and I think there is real potential here. Like Belichick, Norv is considered the master of his craft - which, in Norv's case, happens to be offense, whereas Belichick's is defense. Norv is backed up by Ted Cotrell on the defensive side, who also sees eye-to-eye with AJ on player decisions and goals.

There is a flow, a togetherness, about this organization now that there hasn't been for a long time. Despite his conflict with Marty, AJ has been steadily stockpiling talent and making great player decisions. Now that the Ferrari is all built and sitting on the showroom floor, AJ gets to hand the keys to a driver that will drive the car as intended. Norv Turner is going into a far better situation than Belichick went into in New England seven years ago. The players don't have the change schemes, the team's already a winner.

Am I nervous? Damn straight. But if I was a Patriot fan in 2000, and you were telling me that Bill Belicheck, a damn good DC with Parcells but a failure as a HC, was coming up, I'd be nervous too. I mean, what has the man ever won?

Give this a chance. We have the best team in the NFL. The team leadership and administration are united - everyone now not only has the same goal, but the same path to the goal. That's more than can be said for the Marty era, that's for sure.

2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Good post!

I think some people need to remeber that the coach doesnt kick the football, he doesnt catch it, and he doesnt throw it.

A great coach and a crappy team still makes it a crappy team.

3. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Pass that Kool-Aid brother.

[​IMG]

I'll hold out hope for the best.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv to AJ: "You had me at: 'wanna job?'"

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Me too, man.

Kool-Aid all around! :icon_tease:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm lacing the kool-aid with vodka

7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    From joelbolt on Chargers.com.

Chargers QB Philip Rivers – “I am excited about Coach Turner and what he will bring to our team. In a brief visit with him today, I left excited. I’m anxious to begin working with him to bring a championship to San Diego.”

Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson
    – “I am very excited to work with Norv. We have a great relationship. Norv is a perfect fit for our team. He will know exactly what to do with our team.”

Chargers DT Jamal Williams
    – “It’s going to be exciting for all of us. He’s going to give a lot of energy to the players. I’m looking forward to having him back again in San Diego.”

Former Dallas QB Troy Aikman – “I would say that everyone knows that we’re pretty close friends. I paid him the highest honor that I could last year when I asked him to present me in the Hall of Fame. He had a tremendous impact on my career. I think he’s an outstanding football coach. I think circumstances have kept him from having more success at some of the places he’s been. I anticipate that he’s going to be a great fit for the San Diego Chargers. I got to believe that Philip Rivers is awfully excited about the hiring and also LaDainian Tomlinson. I think that if you look at Norv over the years and what he’s been able to do for quarterbacks and what he’s meant to a number of quarterbacks, not just myself but Brad Johnson and Trent Green just to name a couple is a testament to his abilities. He’s also done a heck of a job with some running backs. He has had a number of guys who have had rushing titles…last year Frank Gore winning the NFC rushing title. I think it will be business as usual for the Chargers offense.”

Former Washington QB Brad Johnson – On what Norv brings to the Chargers - “Norv is a very hands-on coach. He’s very approachable and communicates great with all the players and on an individual basis. He’ll have these guys ready on game day. He finds a way to make you better as a player. It’s an awesome opportunity for everyone in the organization.”

On what Norv will provide for Philip Rivers - “The good thing for Philip is that he’s already used to the system in a sense with the terminology and the number digits. Philip is a smart guy so he will pick up on it quick. Norv will get you back quick on your drop. He’ll make you decisive and get the ball down the field. He has a great feel for the game. Some of these guys are copycat coaches. Norv has a great feel for it.”

49ers QB Trent Dilfer - “I think it was a great hire by the Chargers. He’s going to do a great job as the head football coach there. He’s got experience and has proven that he can do a good job. Now that he has inherited a good football team and a good front office, the sky is the limit.

“Norv is great to play for because he’s a very good teacher of football. He’s not arrogant in his approach to the game. He’s constantly evolving and learning, which you can’t say about a lot of coaches. On game day, he can flat out call plays. He knows what it takes to win. He knows what it takes to develop personnel and get the most out of people. All of those things together, he’s one of the finest football coaches I’ve ever been around.

“I would say that I learned more with Norv last year than in my previous 12 years in the league. The Chargers’ gain is the 49ers’ loss. San Diego is getting a great guy and a great coach.”

• Like Like x 1
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv sucks and sucks really really bad!!!
    When you use the word "hope", that means it's a really really bad situation!!

But I'll sip the kool-aid and maybe something will happen.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Thanks B&G. I need some positive vibes on this.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    If he sucks so much, at least moral in the locker room will be greatly improved!:icon_eek:

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    No prob.

Where would the bandwagon be without homers like myself? :abq2:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's nice but the players liked Marty too.

Thanks for the change of pace but it really means nothing!

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Look at it this way; Marty didn't do squat except make speeches and let the coordinators run the show last year.

Next year really won't be that different except Marty won't be there.

And that's kind of the whole point.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    C'mon, drink this kool aid with me.

I spiked it with Jack....:tup:

15. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    It's the Aikman, Johnson, and Dilfer quotes that are most encouraging. You may hear a lot of "homer speak" from Charger players, sure - but Dilfer really lays it on thick. You've got to be heartened by that.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    We still haven't replaced Marty. We're not going to.

We replaced Cam with Norv Turner and Wade with Ted Cottrell.

The only reason Norv's the head coach is because teams don't have to grant their coordinators permission to make a lateral move and the Niners never would have let us take him. So we give him the HC nametag and put him in Cam Cameron's chair.

All the other stuff--discipline, motivational speeches, the stuff Marty did can be handled by our team leaders.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'm drinking it but this is like trying to get psycked up about seeing Rosie O'Donnel in Playboy!!!:icon_eek:

:puke: :puke: :puke:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It is but we already had "a very good teacher of football."
    Now we need a very good Head Coach.

19. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I am almost through all the emotional stages.

Initial shock, anger and denial have passed.

I guess I am moving into the acceptance phase.

C`mon boys, drink up. We have the combine and draft coming up.

[​IMG]

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Please spike it heavily.

I'm going to have to get VERY DRUNK to make this signing seem appealing!!!:lol: :lol: :hilarious: :hilarious:

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well done!! :yes: :tup:

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Aw WTF do they know, we posters are a whole lot smarter than these asssholes!!:icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Damn, this Kool-aid is good ****! It gives you hallucinations of hiring Ron Rivera as LB's coach!

• Like Like x 1