1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could CJ Spillman be our next UDFA star?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Spillman is a guy worth keeping an eye on as he enters his second year with us. The AJ Smith era is in large part defined by some of the high quality players we have pulled out of the UDFA ranks from Gates, Dielman, Cooper, Osgood, etc.....and CJ is another one who has the potential to get added to that list IMO.

As we've seen when he forced his way onto the team last year, he has prototypical safety size at 6'0 196....is one of our fastest DB's with a very good combine 40 showing of 4.45...has great natural ball skills and is a big hitter. He was a good player at Marshall too, and I'm still not sure how he slipped out of 7 rounds of the draft.

He was pretty raw and made a few mistakes getting his feet wet in spot duty during the regular season last year, but I think if he builds on last year, he could really make some noise.....and make things uncomfortable for Weddle who doesn't have his athleticism. He seems fearless and not intimidated by the big NFL stage which is half the battle. I'm looking forward to seeing what his follow-up will be now that he's not just trying to make the team.

• Like Like x 1
  2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Hopefully he earns his paycheck

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Which would be more than some guys on our defense.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

:tup:

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The knock on him coming out of college was questionable work ethic and dedication.

If he consistently applies himself to the craft, he could be a good one.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I, along with a couple others at another site, have been pimping Spillman for awhile. He looked pretty good in pre-season last year - hope to see him step up & contribute. :tup:

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    with Weddle, Ellison, Oliver and Spillman I hope that the safety spot is finally filled

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    spillman lays the wood. remember that hit in cleveland? bad ***

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Wasn't he also the one who laid someone out in preseason? I think it was the AZ game where he NAILED someone and then got a BS helmet to helmet penalty on a totally legal (and epic) hit.

I loved it b/c the dude tried to catch a pass across the middle and got worked - I miss seeing that from our D.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That was him. BS call - he hit the receiver with his shoulder.

From what I've seen, the kid just needs reps. Hits like Ellison w/better cover skills.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Spillman looks like he can be a good one in the backfield, give those damn WR's something to worry about.

12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    It would be interesting to see Ellison and Spillman battle it out in the offseason - I like Ellison a lot too, he def has room to grow but lots of potential there.

13. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    AJ will certainly be looking for an upgrade in the draft to work with Ellison and Spillman...my darkhorse is Reshad Evans from UGA!!!

14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    No way either Spillman or Ellison will even compete with Weddle. We need a safety that can cover, both can't even compare to Weddle.

I know some people don't like him, but he is a great player. People thinking some UDFA who played a little bit in a couple of games is better than Weddle need to stop drinking.

15. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Easy tonto! :lol: Did I miss something? Who said anything about replacing Weddle???? :icon_shrug:

Personally, I freaking love that guy! Always thought Ellison/Spillman/Gregory would be in competition for SS role...

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    it was seattle, he hit the dude square on the 80 (his number)

17. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I suggested Weddle look over his shoulder....and he should...Weddle isn't a star player and has made more than his share of mistakes. He got torched by Scheffler of Denver and has his troubles in coverage. If nothing else, if a guy like Spillman were to push him to improve, it would be a good thing.

18. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    You do realize there are 2 safety's, correct? Strong Safety (Ellison, Spillman) and Free Safety (Weddle)..