1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could New England Be a Landing Spot for Vincent Jackson?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Oct 6, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It is highly unlikely the San Diego Chargers will trade WR Vincent Jackson to the New England Patriots, reports Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune. While there is nothing brewing and it doesn't look likely, Acee warns not to rule a deal out. New England head coach Bill Belichick may be the only person in the league bold enough to pay Chargers general manager A.J. Smith what he wants for Jackson, and the Patriots, owners of two picks in each of the first four rounds, are the only team with enough draft choices to pull it off. San Diego sources have said it would cost even more than the second-round pick in 2011 and third-round pick in 2012 for an AFC team to pry Jackson away. The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 19 and any team that acquired Jackson would have to wait three games after he signed to come off the Roster Exempt List.

Read more: KFFL - San Diego Chargers News and Notes

We all know that the Pats love ex-Chargers, and they do have 2 picks in each of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds this up coming draft so they may give up a few for VJ. I personally wouldn't mind trading him to the Pats. We all know VJ is not coming back and we'd be getting at least some compensation.. I kind of hope it does happen and kind of hope it doesn't. But I'd be cool with a 1st for VJ and a 5th or something
    Thoughts?

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  3. ChargerFanInBuf

ChargerFanInBuf Representin... NY Chapter

Ratings:
    +1
    Never say never but I think the Pats' price has gotta be a lot higher than anyone else's. I'd much rather see him in Seattle or St Louis or Arizona than joining forces with The Hoodie.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agreed. 1st round pick at least for the Pats, it would be pretty embarrassing if we gave them Jackson and they beat us in the playoffs for the 3rd time in 5yrs.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I doubt it. Unless the Pats give AJ everything he wants and more. I think the Organization sees the Pats as a bigger rivla than the Raiders right now...

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    VJ to Patriots: Not likely, not impossible

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:25 a.m.

There is nothing brewing between the Chargers and New England Patriots about the latter replacing one unhappy receiver with another, and it is highly unlikely any deal involving Vincent Jackson will happen.
    But don't rule it out.
    This would be stupid to even entertain if not for the teams involved.
    Patriots coach (and decision maker) Bill Belichick is perhaps the only person bold enough to pay what Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith will be asking, and Belichick is also the only one with enough high draft picks to do so.
    The biggest reason to give credence to speculation about the Patriots going after Jackson following their trade of Randy Moss to Minnesota is that Belichick has stockpiled two picks in each of the first three rounds for the 20111 draft.
    To get Jackson would take a big bite -- but a bite Belichick can absorb.
    If you think Smith's asking price from the Vikings was steep -- a second-round pick in 2011 and and third-round pick in '12 -- sit down before I tell you something.
    The Vikings and every other team that showed quasi-serious interest play in the NFC. Chargers sources have long contended that the price to an AFC team would be even higher.
    It says here the Patriots would have to give the Chargers a first-rounder and second-rounder over the next two drafts -- be that a first in '11 and second in '12 or vice versa.
    That was going to be the price back in the summer when, according to league sources, the Patriots were among the AFC teams that at least put in a call to the Chargers about Jackson.
    The NFL trading deadline is Oct. 19. Any team trading for Jackson would have to wait three games after he signed for him to come off the Roster Exempt List. That means if he signed before this Sunday, he would not be eligible to play until the week after the Patriots' Oct. 24 game in San Diego.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not shocked by this at all. I would absolutely demand AT LEAST a 1st round pick from the Patriots.

That said I don't think a trade has a shot in hell. Bellicheat is the kind of guy whos arrogant enough to think he can win with a bunch of scrub WRs, a below average running game, a below average O-line, and a below average defense, as long as he has his great QB.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    La Confora reported that he is planning on rejoining the team week 8. Just read it on nfl network.

9. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Just saw this on CBS Sportsline:

News: Comcast Sportsnet New England reports the Patriots have inquired about a trade involving disgruntled Chargers WR Vincent Jackson, a source told CSNNE Thursday. The talks are preliminary, but the idea of a trade involving Jackson for offensive lineman Logan Mankins is a possibility. Mankins is also holding out because of a contract issue. The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the asking price for Jackson is a second- and third-round pick for an NFC team and a first- and second-round pick for an AFC team.

Analysis: The Patriots just traded away Randy Moss, so they have a void to fill at the wide receiver slot. Jackson would be a perfect replacement, but it's not a given. Again, these are just preliminary talks. Still, if Jackson ends up in a New England uniform, then that would be great for his Fantasy value. He would be catching passes from Tom Brady, which is just as good as him catching passes from Philip Rivers. Jackson would still be an elite Fantasy WR.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Hmmmm. I'd be for that. So I guess we could afford another very expensive guard. Improve the lines. Thats what we've been saying for like 10 years now.

If the deal did happen I'd have to guess they think vasquez is hurt pretty bad. Mankins is good. Along with dielman we'd have a very (lets say)aggressive o-line. Which isn't a bad thing. Along with the development of tolbert and matthews that could make things very difficult for other teams in the years ahead.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    OT is a bigger issue, and its where I'd rather see us spend that type of money. Vazquez is solid, and young, and cheap, and his injury isn't supposed to be more than a few weeks.

Too the Patriots.......I wouldn't take less than a 1st round pick. I would probably even ask for more than the original 1st and 3rd tender.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Between VJ and his agents, I would prefer sending him to a horrible team that is totally committed to the run. Since New England is an upcoming opponent, in our conference and a potential opponent in the post season I would would want some serious compensation for VJ before sending him there.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think that VJ and a 4th for Mankins and a 1st would be a possibility. That would give us or 1st rounder, plus we'd be getting a great addition to our O-line. As for OT, Dombrowski and McNeill are both good players. Dombo has developed a lot since last year and I'm sure will be great at RT like he was last year. Add Mankins to either guard position and then we will have a really strong offensive line. BTW Mankins is only 28, which leaves him around 8-10 more years. This might actually happen people...

14. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    im up for the trade but only if it goes like this

San diego receives: A 2011 first round pick, and 3rd round pick

New England receives" Vincent jackson and a San Diego 4th round pick,

the reason i would love this trade is San Diego would become a house full of trade potential, by the looks of it cro will net us a 3rd, we could very easily trade package some of our 3rd and 2nd round picks and have 3 first round picks... what do yall think

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Maybe even three times...........though the defense was really good back then.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, you're defense blows right now.