1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could The Chargers Be A Potential Trade Partner For The Jaguars?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Some interesting news out of Charger camp. ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting Antonio Cromartie may be on the trading block. According to the article, San Diego would be interested in obtaining a running back as it appears LaDainian Tomlinson will not be returning.
    The first thing that struck me when reading this was what Cromartie has done, or isn't doing, to warrant him as a trade candidate. He had a stellar 2007 season in where he was voted to the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro. You also may recall his 109 yard touchdown return off a missed FG against Minnesota. Ten interceptions in your 2nd year will obviously set the bar high so the question is whether 2008 (in which AC states he played with a broken hip) and 2009 were more indicative of what to expect.
    Jacksonville has nothing to offer in a 1:1 trade, save MJD (talk about taking crazy pills). Teams like Baltimore and Dallas have depth which would make them candidates. The question would be whether the Chargers want to go with youth or experience. How much do they trust Darren Sproles to carry the load? More so, as a RFA, will Sproles leave for more pay?
    Though now it is just rumor, this makes the combine more interesting with respect to the running backs. C. J. Spiller, out of Clemson, looks to be the first back taken off the board. Some mocks have him top 10 with most having him around 15. If he blows up at the combine teams may find taking him at 10\11 as a value selection.
    Beyond the actual speculation of the trade, this highlights a team with a need. Sure the Bolts could fill the spot with a veteran like Marion Barber but there is also the variable of potentially losing Sproles and thereby needing someone to build for the future. The NFL has shown us that you can never have too much depth in the backfield.
    Should the Chargers state Cromartie is not on the trading block then a draft day trade becomes more of a reality. The 49rs are hot candidate to take Spiller at 13, and though the Dolphins needs are on the defensive side of the ball, they could decide bringing in the Clemson RB to compliment an aging Ricky Williams and injury burdened Ronnie Brown (though that would mean passing on DT Dan Williams). The Jaguars draft slot then becomes a perfect place to grab C.J..
    I don't think Jacksonville is a player for Cromartie. What I do think is that even taking about trading a player like AC, who plays a position of high need, indicates the Chargers are willing to deal. That dealing may extend to draft day.

SB Nation

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    LOL WUT

Does this guy even watch games before writing an article about a certain player or does he just watch ESPN? He obviously didn't watch the Jets game.

Shiiiiit, I'll take MJD for Cro in a heartbeat.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    MJD! :puke:

Cro's trade value has dropped!!!

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You don't like Maurice Jones Drew?

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I guess Mort hasn't seen this....

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    So basically he's saying the only thing the Jags could give us for Cromartie is MJD or their 1st round pick.......I'm fine with either.:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    I think, even despite his defense of cro, the author would as well...hence the "...save MJD" companied by the retort about taking "crazy pills" (as that wouldn't happen)

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I assume he was saying that is the only player they have the Chargers would trade for, and Cro isn't worth him. We would have to go Cro and our 1st to get him

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    To get MJD we would have to give up Cro and our 1st, and that may not be enough. We would be lucky to get a 3rd for Cro

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    What precisely do the Jags have that we'd want besides picks?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did you read the OP?

"Jacksonville has nothing to offer in a 1:1 trade, save MJD (talk about taking crazy pills)"

The OP was referencing this line and thinking that the writer thought we could get MJD. The OP missed the "Crazy pills" line which was saying there is no chance we would get MJD for Cro.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I've been hearing that, that the most likely compensation is a 3rd round pick.:icon_huh:

If thats the case then all I have to say is....well then fuuuuuck y'all. We don't HAVE TO trade him, and if a 3rd is all he's really worth then we can keep him and demote him to nickle. Then when his contract comes up we can pay him like a nickle.

The idea that your going to find a CB as good as Cromartie in the 3rd round this year is LAUGHABLE, just another example of how people overvalue draft picks.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Finding a CB "as good as" cro isn't difficult since he is horrible. He can't cover, give a 10 yard cushion on every play, and is to much of a girl to make a tackle once he has allowed his man to make the catch.

Cro needs to be off this team, and we need to just get what ever we can. He has worn out his welcome, and I am sure his teammates feel the same way after watching the same videos that we all have

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    1. I'm not sure its Cro's fault that he's lined up 10yds off, its more to do with the type of defense we run and where the coach tells him to stand.
    2. When Cro does lineup man up he has been exceptional, I've never had any complaints when he's in man coverage, its when he's sitting back that he's too slow to react.
    3. Not every defense functions like ours, in the right system he could be a very good cover corner again.
    4. I've said it a few times....HE'S ONLY 25! He has a 10int pro bowl season under his belt, the upside is still there.
    5. Teams that NEED CB's.....KC, TB, GB, NE, CLE, JAX, NYG, DET, PIT, MIN. Not to mention about 10 more that could use a #2 corner.

Trust me CB is an in demand position, we'll do better than a damn 3rd round pick or a 3rd string RB like Choice.

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    MJD FOR CRO !!!!

MJD FOR CRO !!!

MJD FOR CRO !!!

Make it happen AJ :tup:

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Agreed!

And, while you're at it, trade Craig Davis to the Jets for Darrelle Revis! :icon_banana:

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If the Jags do this then they should not be a NFL team. They will never give up MJD.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope we can get more than a 3rd, but since teams know we have to trade him (Since he has worn out his welcome with mediocre play), it reduces his value. I hope we can get more, I just highly doubt it.

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Chargers would become a dominant Team for years. Jammer and Revis as the DB's a major ouch defensively. MJB would fit in nicely and give us that punch in the RB department.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think he was being sarcastic because Buster for Revis is just as ridiculous and unrealistic as Cro for MJD. While we are at it, lets trade Hester for Larry Fitzgerald

21. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Cromartie is a damn good coverage guy some games, but he is prone to not showing up though. He is a world class athlete and he has good hands.

His attitude and lack of physical play though is appalling and he can not be brought back on this team.

If a trade can not be worked out he should be cut. He has value...but he has no clue...the guy could probably be HOF if he had a damn clue...it's a shame.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You know, I have heard that, and after seeing every game over the last 10 years, most multiple times, I haven't seen him be a good cover guy for more than 2 years. He blamed a horrible 08 season on a fake injury that even the team wouldn't confirm. They is 09 was equally as bad, no excuse this time. The guy hasn't been a good cover guy since he was playing the nickel role and going against teams #3 WR's. He was OK at the end of 07 when he over took D-Flo as the #2 guy, but since then, he has been horrible. Maybe SD plays too much zone defense for him to succeed, but either way he has been horrible in nearly ever game, and needs to be shown the door

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Let's throw in a draft pick also. :tup:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    Could we get 3 beers for the *****?

Hell would freeze over before Jax would part with MJD. He is a top 5 RB in the league.

25. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    ANother choke secured by none other the cromagnon man

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    if AJ pulled that off, it might be time to re institute the AJ is God mantra

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The only way it could possibly happen is if we gave up Cro AND our 1st round pick, and that still may not be enough

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    We'd have to give up Rivers to get MJD from them.

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Cro has alot more children though. :yes: Thats got to count for something on his resume.

30. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    MJD is Jax's best player, and really the only player people know on that team. They will never let him go, but we can dare to dream.