1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could the Chargers do what Pitt is doing without P.R?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LightEmUp, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I've said for a couple years now that the FO at Chargers park has put all of their eggs in the P.R basket. I love the guy as our QB so I dont fault them for that, but the FO gets to tout a lot of things that are big time due to P.R.

Averaged 28ppg last year. (Dont need much a defense when you score like that)

So, you take a look at Pitt (3-0) with Roth out and wonder, could the Chargers do this without P.R?

You can say Pitt has a better D, say they run the ball better, whatever - thats to their credit, not their demise. They get 3 phases of the game as do we. I'm talking apples to apples - could we do it?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant hear you.

3. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Moderator and writer for the website acting like a child. Says a lot.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Wow, another negative thread. booman, is that you?

5. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Then dispute it dude! Bring it! All that genius you got is just waiting to come out.

Dispute it or shut up.

You "guys" are starting to sound like a bunch of little girls that only know to whine and bitch. Bring the football 101 man. I'm waiting!!!

:)

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Speak for yourself whining and bitching.....

Conc, can we remove him???

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant. I am not really a mod. I have the access to post stuff on the front page that is it. No banning, infraction or other powers. I suggest you just ignore him. You can see from his posting style he is here to start trouble only.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Could the Chargers start a season 3-0?

How long have you been watching this team?

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Its a bit harsh isn't it, to call for this guys head so quickly...hes only offering his opinon...hes not trying to bully your grandmother or something! lol

To answer your question LightEmUp ...I don't believe the Chargers could win without PR...maybe they could win the odd game, but certainly not still be dominant like the Steelers are.

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Life Lessons 101

Introduction:

Ignore dipshits as they bring nothing positive to your life, words to the wise.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No. Our defense isn't as good as theirs.

You could probably say the same thing about the 30 other teams in the NFL, so I don't really give a ****.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Pittsburgh is a far superior organization. And NO... there is zero chance the Chargers could start 3-0 without PR. They can't even start 3-0 WITH HIM!!

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
  14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm outta here!

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Smart man.

16. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Pitt is better BECAUSE they don't have Rothlisraper

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There is no chance in hell the Chargers would have even won a single game at this point without Rivers. If it wasn't for Rivers, Norv would be a losing coach since joining the Chargers.

Then again, the same thing could probably be said for the Colts if they lost Manning, the Packers if they lost Rodgers, or the Saints if they lost Brees. Pitt is taking a different route than most teams, and NOT building around one specific QB

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Good point! Those teams are dependent too to an extent.

There was a time when we had a dominant running game, dominant defense, special special teams and a pretty good QB. Now we are built around our superior QB and have dropped off in the other phases. This is critical in my mind to our closing window and decline in depth. Our Special Teams is horrible and that is a good indication of what we have behind the starters. Our D is nowhere near what is used to be and if P.R doesnt put up 28ppg last year we dont go 13-3.

I'm just saying get ready. If P.R ever goes down we will truly see what we have built through the draft and stacked 3 deep.

*** Disclaimer
    I do not wish P.R to get hurt. I love P.R.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait up!

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Does it matter so long as Rivers stays healthy?

21. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    The point HWL is that we have never been so dependent on one player in the history of our new development. Possibly you could say the early LT days when we ran him 350 times a year but that even faded quick with the addition of other offensive stars (Gates) and Defensive stars (Merriman) - heck even our Special Teams had pro bowlers on it.

I'm not saying our starters are garbage. I would never go that far, but I will say, as I have many times, that the Chargers FO is banking BIG TIME that P.R can carry whoever they put in. "We lose our beast starting #1 receiver and without blinking an eye the Chargers FO demands you believe Floyd will be the second coming and possibly even better. That having Legs be the 2nd is better than having Floyd and a guy named Buster Davis should be allowed 3 years to finally emerge as our #3 receiver (even though he was a #1 draft pick).

And that all might be correct. P.R might just be that good. But thats not the course we set for this ship when we decided to play with the elites and make that tourney every year people talk about. Thats not super bowl mentality. Thats running a profitable business. IMO.

:)

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    We still have Gates.

Anyway, I just don't understand why it's a problem that we rely on Rivers so much. A lot of teams such as the Colts, Patriots, Saints, and Bengals just to name a few would be in just as much trouble if their quarterback went down.

Amidst all the issues of the first three games the passing game hasn't really lost a step, so don't you think that gives the FO credence to their claim?

The Colts relied (and continue to rely) just as heavily on Peyton Manning and they have a Super Bowl ring to show for it.

The same with the Saints and Drew Brees.

The Steelers are doing it differently. They rely on an overrated QB who's still pretty good nevertheless and a powerful defense to win games. It works for them but that's not the only way to skin the proverbial cat.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think the problem is that we are relying on Rivers so much, it is that we have gotten worse at most other areas of the field and he is carrying this team. With better players around Rivers, maybe win get to a Super Bowl or maybe we don't have to rely on a rotation of career backups on the D-Line. If we had been able to somewhat maintain the talent that this team had 4 years ago, this team would be a top team from day one of the season. Well........... we would still have a crappy HC, so I guess we can't say for sure they would be better

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Please don't turn this into a discussion about whether or not it's better to have good players around Rivers like as though I don't agree with that. I believe that much is obvious.

The first post isn't asking whether or not it's better to put good players around Rivers. The first post is asking if the Chargers could win games without their starting QB like the Steelers are doing.

If it's the former LEU wanted to get at then it's the former that LEU should have started with.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Dispute what? Your asinine, hypothetical, pointless drivel? You come in here and start a thousand negative threads complaining about every aspect of this team, and then you are clueless enough to complain about other people whining.

I dont' have to "bring the football 101," because there's no football to this post. It's just one more way you've found to point out that you don't like AJ. We get it. AJ bad. Now that you've established that, do you really have to try and make the entire forum about you by starting 100 threads to say the same something.

26. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I hate to say this as a P.R fan, but he is no Peyton Manning. We gotta be able to agree on that. Peyton can make a college rookie a superstar.

Now, you also brought up another good point. 455 yards passing last game makes it look like we havent lost a step. That might very well carry through the regular season but I guarantee come playoff time, crunch time, butt pucker time, that Floyd is not the man we think he is and is a better #2 than #1. Legs is a supporter as well and Buster Davis isnt even a consideration at this point as a playoff playmaker. Gates becomes our #1 receiver as you said and teams will blanket him. They will shut him down in the playoffs. They will force us to run behind our OLine and make Floyd step up.

We desperately need our running game to emerge to soften the load of our receivers.

Back on track -
    But we didnt win with the better players, right? - But we also didnt stay true to experience and continuity or what you guys call "Just getting there" year after year until your time comes - our chances change year to year because the personnel changes year to year. This isnt the same team as 06'. Not even close to the same team as 08' and a far removed team from 09'.

We seam to be in the mindset that multiple playoff appearances guarantees us a Super Bowl birth, while teams like the Saint and Giants just made it happen.

Personnel Personnel Personnel. :)

27. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I assumed people could connect the dots. What else could I have been saying??? :p

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    That the Chargers can't win without PR? :icon_shrug:

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :eek: He isn't on this site is he?!? Dude is a tool. Talk about Mr Know It All. :cool:

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    He's close enough to warrant building the team around him.

Vincent Jackson has yet to do anything in the playoffs each time he was there.

Agreed. That's why we traded up to draft Mathews at #12.

Whether or not that pays off remains to be seen, of course.

And since it's a different team how do you feel comfortable drawing any kind of conclusion, good or bad, about how it will play out?

There was a time Vincent Jackson was not proven as a #1 wide out, why can't you give Floyd the same benefit of the doubt and let him prove himself before writing him off as only a good #2? (Same with Legadu in the #2 spot)

I won't speak for anyone else, but I am not of that mindset.

I'm simply of the mindset that you can't win the Super Bowl without first making the playoffs. And I'm also of the mindset that if you're in the playoffs every year your chances of winning the Super Bowl in one of them is much higher.