1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could the saints be moving to LA?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Nov 27, 2009.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    New Orleans

Table Five tells the tale:

Table Five: Predicted Probability of a Team in New Orleans with Depopulation
    PERCENT POPULATION REDUCTION PREDICTED PROBABILITY
    10 % 0.74
    20 0.59
    25 0.51
    30 0.43

As New Orleans contracts, so too does it appeal as a major sports venue.
    Most Louisianans grow up with the notion that money is best inherited or stolen and their economy reflects that.

This is an economic infrastructure built on natural gas, tourism, and bail bonds. Once the collective memory of Katrina diminishes, Dem Saints will hoof it Modell-style. Confused natives will expose their breasts and throw beads at the parade of trucks passing by...

The bleacher report seems to think so. Especially with the superdome being old and an entirely new privately financed stadium and now a successful franchise. The saints could be headed to LA apparently although i'm not sure how likely it is. THat would be interesting if suddenly socal had 2 of the top 5 qb's in the league!

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Didn't they agree to a 25 year contract at the Superdome during the off season?

3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    IDK? Maybbe its old news but i don't think the superdome will be in playing condition for 25 years if global climate change is real.... its gonna be the worlds biggest house as NEw Orleans will be underwater all the time

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    At this moment, I see the Jaguars as the biggest possibility. Cause they can't sell out.

Rams would be the biggest but I wonder what kind of impact that would have on NFL. IMO, if a brand new stadium only secures a team for 15 years... it's NOT worth it!

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh but its LA.... it'll happen. I say maybe bills? I hope team moves to LA so they can never scoop up chargers!! What about vikings. THye need new stadium. That would be cool...:tup:

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd really like to see them become the "LA Rams" again.
    LA should have let the Raiders go and just concentrated on developing the Rams.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Jags won't move. They just got a brand new stadium about 8 years ago.

I would say the Bills are likely to move.

Buffalo is a small area of New York that people make fun of and hate being around.

Ralph Wilson Stadium, where they play, was built in 1973, and the owner would probably like a new stadium. There's very little chance of a new one being built in Buffalo.

It's very windy in Buffalo, and the swirling winds make it very difficult to properly kick in, not to mention the snow during December. The field is 50 feet below sea level, which means when it rains, or the snow melts, water collects on the field and really soaks it.

Plus, moving to L.A., they'd be more likely to attract coaching and player talent. If you were a coach or player, which would you rather do, go to Buffalo or L.A. ?

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd say the Jags are most likely - I don't care if they got a new stadium, they can't fill that stadium and they're financially in trouble. Jacksonville isn't a viable market for the NFL.

10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    QFT. When you cannot sustain a competitive fanbase when you are a WC contender, you will likely never have high levels of success as a market in the NFL.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    The Saints did sign a long term deal in the off season. They aren't going anywhere.

The Vikings have recently made it clear that they WILL NOT renew their lease in the Metrodome when it is up (2011 I think). The Twins will be playing in a new stadium next season. I guess the Vikings are wondering why they can't get a new stadium. Remember last year when the Vikings went to the playoffs? Their playoof game was close to being blacked out. They might be tempted to move to LA.

The Bills won't come to LA. They actually have a decent fanbase in Toronto. So if they move, it'll be there.

The Rams are on the verge of being purchased by a group headed by the owner the NHL team there. So they won't move.

That leaves the Jags, who have about 25,000 season ticket holders this year. They also place tarps over the seats in the upper decks of that stadium during Jags games. When Florida-Georgia play there every year, they practically have to add seats to the stadium. If anything, Jacksonville is a bigger college football town.

Let's not forget the Raiders! They've been pulling in about 34-35,000 fans this year. Uncle Al sued the city of Oakland for one billion dollars and was laughed out of court.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Tebow will save the Jags.

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Holy Roller, Batman!

L.A. Los Angeles. City of angels. (Yeah, find one in that town...)

New Orleans, LA. Saints (Again, find one in that town...)

Based on religious similarities, and the letters LA, it's a match made in heaven. (No pun intended)

People could also argue that since the Lakers originally came from Minneapolis, it only follows suit that the Vikeens should be rowing their longboats into the fjords around San Pedro. And since the hornheads and Lakers also have the color purple and gold in common, it's practically a no-brainer that these barbarians in bad sheepskin loincloths could actually be the next best bet to land in LaLa land. (Again, no pun intended)

The truth is, no one really knows, much less any of us that look at these boards all day looking for the answers to life and football in the virtual pc world... IMHO

Pointy :icon_twisted: :icon_toast: Skol!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Holy Roller, Batman!

4 teams in one state?

Stupid. Its going to steal any LA fanbase we may have, its like asking people to vote on 2 presidential candidates from the same party. All your doing is splitting votes and you end up losing to the opposing party who has all their votes going into only 1 candidate. We struggle selling out games as it is, losing any part of our fan base is not good even if LA is more Raider territory.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Holy Roller, Batman!

stupid? really? I seemed to remember that there where 2 teams in LA not to long ago, so for one to come back is not crazy, since LA is the second largest TV market

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I doubt the Saints leave, the fans love the team way too much there.

I'd look at the Vikings who are looking for a new stadium and have declined to renew their stadium lease (fits into the time line of the LA stadium).

The Jaguars as well, even though they recently got a new stadium their fan support is AWFUL. They barely sell 40000 tickets there, they already have large portions of the stadium tarpped yet still aren't even close to selling out games. It's really embarrassing. It makes the 7,000 (they've had triple that this season) we had to sell look like nothing and we have a much larger stadium capacity.

The Bills are another team, but I would think Toronto would be more likely for them, plus it'll pretty much maintain their fan base.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

This statement is one of the reasons this country is going down the *******

:tdown:

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Holy Roller, Batman!

Newsflash..........THEY BOTH MOVED AWAY!:yes:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think NFL realizes that was a mistake. They love their Gators and Seminoles. The majority of locals could care less about NFL.
    Like if they planned to put a NFL team in Oklahoma, the state would laugh!!!

At the time of those expansions, Carolina seemed like a good idea but I heard they didn't sell out their first home opener.

They should have given the other expansion to Baltimore, then they'd have an expansion for LA.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Holy Roller, Batman!

really, hadn't noticed.. they didn't move away because they where to close to the Chargers, your point was that it was stupid to have two teams so close to each other.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Holy Roller, Batman!

The Raiders couldn't sell out the Collesium, and the stadium was falling into disrepair. The City refused to fix it up for a team that couln't sell out, and they refused to build either team a new stadium.

Boom, both teams are offered new stadiums elsewhere and happily leave the "2nd biggest" market in the US without hesitation.

22. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    No.

I lived in New Orleans for 2 years and was actually at the Everett Chargers game at The Superdome in '97. I go back to N.O. every year for Jazzfest. The Saints sure as hell aren't moving to L.A. unless the team is sold. Not likely.

If you've ever seen Benson doing one of his own car dealership commercials, you know that guy couldn't survive outside The South for more than about 10 minutes. San Antonio is the only other possibility.

The Gulf Coast states love high school football as much (maybe more) as pro, but they all glom-onto The Saints.

23. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    if the Bills move it will be up north to Canada (eh) thats why the are playing two (ifrcc) there this year.
    the NFL owners really dont want a team in LA. cause they (nfl owners) use it as a threat that " build us a new staium or will will move there" if LA has a team they wont be able to use that threat any more. but ine dose move it will prob be the Bolts.