1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could this be the best Chargers offensive team in history?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, May 23, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    After bantering about our weaponry on some other threads, I'm just throwing this out there. It is a reasonable question even with our rich offensive lineage. If everyone comes back and is healthy (knock on wood), we can be spectacular and even exceed the exploits of our Air Coryell and 2006 teams in overall offensive excellence. Think about it.

QB- Rivers is the best we've ever had. I grew up loving Dan Fouts as a leader, and he was a great passer as well as field general....but since Rivers has progressively increased his overall yardage and TD numbers....while cutting mistakes and turnovers way down....he is the most dangerous QB we have had playing at the top of his game while on this team.

FB- We don't have a Lo Neal....But we have two versatile guys who help in a number of ways and can run and catch....and I would be they will both be improved blockers this year.

RB- Ryan Mathews doesn't have to be LT in his prime...and in all likelihood never will be....but I think most would agree that he has a very good chance of outperforming the LT of the last couple of years. Mathews is a little more powerful between the tackles and probably suits our current offense better with young fresh legs who is willing to take more punishment and is stronger at the LOS since we no longer rely on a FB to blow open a hole. Sproles, as he was with LT, is a perfect compliment and will continue to do what he does.

OL- A couple of young guys gained some valuable experience last year....Vasquez and Dombo in particular. This isn't the best line we've ever had...but they are clearly a good pass blocking unit (our current bread and butter)...and are big powerful dudes who have been playing together for a couple of years now. This line has the potential to be our best since at least 2006 (maybe not runblocking, but overall)...and could even be better than that group.

TE- Gates may still have his best year left in him. He has never had this many weapons around him with an elite passer throwing the rock in an offense with an enormous playbook with everyone in synch. Kris Wilson looks like he will fit well as a sub and can do some damage as well.

WR- We clearly haven't had this much talent since the Air Coryell era. Vincent Jackson is a star. Malcolm Floyd has the potential to be one. IF Buster Davis is healthy, he could really open some things up in the slot or down the field. Legedu also provides more playmaking.

Just sayin'. This offense could really be a monster. When you have a QB who knows how to use all of those weapons, it makes all the difference (think Tom Brady in 2007....and Rivers has more to work with than he did IMO)

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    How many years have I heard this? Best team.... Minus the kicker that is.... If we get in a close game we are screwed! Show me the money!

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Naanee in the pre-season looked like a legit #2 WR last year. I remember thinking he was going to make Chris Chambers expendable, and it turned out Floyd did that. Floyd by the way would have had 1000yds if we had started him in all 16 games.

If Mathews can average 4ypc or better, I believe this will clearly be the best offense the Chargers have ever had.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can be a scary good offense, no doubt. I just hope that every game doesn't turn into a track meet with no defense.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Our defense is going to be ok to good.

Offense will do it's job.

I hope it NEVER EVER comes down to a field goal

:tdown:

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    nope!

1963 was our best because it gave us the AFL Championship.

This will years team will have to live up to the 1963's team on offense.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Vincent Jackson has to be on the field. He is our biggest weapon.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I think you mean TALLEST weapon.

Gates is our biggest weapon. :yes:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Right on TurboTurtle. That was the only team in '63 which has done anything.

And for the rest of the doofs debating who is the best weapon on the field ?

Rivers. :bolt:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Dan Fouts was a fire and brimstone leader. He took **** from nobody and told you to your face if you were screwing up. I will never forget the clip of Fouts laying into Winslow for tippy toeing when running his patterns. Classic. From the moment I saw Rivers LIVE I knew this dude would be our all time greatest Q.B. We just need to keep his *** upright or he will end up like Stan Humphries and one shot away from being fitted with a drool cup.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Scifres. :bunny:

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    talk about how many times we've heard this (from one unnamed mexican-beer loving poster)