1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Could Wells end up in Denver or San Diego?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    March 28, 2009 6:49 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

A source close the situation confirmed Ohio State star running back Chris "Beanie" Wells will visit both the Denver Broncos and the San Diego Chargers prior to the April 25-26 draft. Wells is a considered a sure first-round pick.

San Diego is clearly going to consider running backs. The Chargers are planning a private meeting with Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno, the other top running back prospect. The interest in Wells and Moreno is despite the fact that the Chargers are tying up nearly $13 million in salary this year to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles. Plus, San Diego has pressing defensive needs.

Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner held a private workout with Wells a couple of weeks ago so the team is clearly interested in him. Wells would be entering a crowded backfield if drafted by Denver.

Denver signed three veteran running backs this offseason. Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan were all brought in. The Broncos also have youngsters Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Also, Denver has dire defensive needs and it would be a shock if it drafted a running back.

Often, pre-draft visits are used as decoys by teams. Teams will visit with players from positions they have no intentions of drafting in the early rounds in an attempt to fool other teams. Former Denver coach Mike Shanahan routinely used the decoy scheme. Perhaps this is what new Denver coach Josh McDaniels is doing with Wells.

AFC West news and notes

The word out of San Diego is that the Chargers are still hopeful to get a long-term contract extension finalized with quarterback Philip Rivers before the start of the 2009 season.

Jay Cutler has been compared to Jeff George in the past. And apparently, George isn't too thrilled about the comparison... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I would rather have him in Denver. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Id rather have tyson jackson in denver and wells here in SD

4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Do you see the Chargers taking Wells at #16, using him as part of a rotation in '09, and then giving LT his $3mil buyout next March?

It's the only scenario under which drafting Wells really makes sense-- if the team really is only commiting to LT for ONE more year ('09), and one more year ONLY.

So,

(1) unless the Bolts' personnel guys see Wells as nothing short of Jesus' football-playing cousin, and

(2) the team is actually planning dumping Tomlinson before his $3mil roster bonus is due in March of 2010,

then committing such a disproportionate amount of cap space to RB when the club has obvious and grave needs elsewhere seems... oh, I don't know... NUTS!!!

Like I've said elsewhere, I think the draft would have to fall in a cwertain way-- with key D-line and O-line guys gone early-- for the Bolts to pull the trigger on Wells. But it's just my opinion.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Much like Moreno, I'd see Wells here ONLY if:

1) Malauga, Oher, Jackson, possibly Cushing was off the board - our top picks
    2) Also off the board would have to be: Macklin, Sanchez, potentially Freeman, Jenkins, and maybe Davis too (these are people other teams would want to trade up to our spot for).

If we are stuck with NO other picks except for big reaches at 16 (like a Brace) then Wells/Moreno could be the pick.

Wells just concerns me, he has no durability

6. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I think Denver goes with defense. Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State to be more specific.

I have Wells gone at 14 to New Orleans.

I've got the Chargers taking Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi.

Knowshon? 19 to Tampa.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Of course you would, Rip. That's as brilliant as some of your past choices. :lol:

Terrance Taylor would be a real gem, too. :icon_rofl:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I saw a report about that. The reporters were questioning why we would use our #1 draft pick on a RB when we just restructured LT's contract and we'll still have Sproles.
    Another thing they didn't mention... Hester!!! We gave up a second round draft pick just to have him ride the bench?!! I hope not. I want and expect to see him out there and used like MT was here during the Marty era.

BTW... we're suppose to become more of a passing team and we sure as Hell don't need help on our running game!!
    Though we could use a good FB since we ditched possibly the best one ever.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think this will be the best chance the Chargers have in years to pick up a franchise caliber running back in the draft.

Moreno, Wells, McCoy, Brown, Jennings........In AJ will STILL trust.

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    WTF is up with you peeps BEEF on both sides of the line. I believe that this is what we are going to get.:yes:

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    DE or OL for the right side.

NO RBs, WRs. That's just crack talking.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

We still have much bigger needs.
    I think if LT retires in another 2-3 years, Hester can be an every down back. Don't know if he'll be Pro Bowl material but solid and affective.