1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Council votes 6-3 to spend $2.1M on EIR that could allow January public vote

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jul 14, 2015.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    [​IMG]

San Diego — The City Council kept San Diego's pursuit of a new Chargers stadium on track Tuesday afternoon by approving $2.1 million for accelerated environmental studies required for a public stadium vote in January.

"Let's keep the ball rolling and keep San Diego competitive," Councilwoman Myrtle Cole said.

Mayor Kevin Faulconer said the council's approval, which came in a 6-3 vote, was crucial to keeping San Diego's stadium plan alive because it shows the NFL that the city is serious about its efforts.

Progress on environmental work will boost the city's credibility in meetings with NFL officials in San Diego on July 28 and on Aug. 10 in Chicago, Faulconer said.

Councilman Todd Gloria, who cast one of the no votes, said the money is a giveaway to environmental consultants that won't get the city any closer to keeping the Chargers, who walked away from negotiations last month.

"San Diego is getting played at every turn," said Gloria, referring to the Chargers ongoing efforts to get a stadium built in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson.

CHARGERS STADIUM: LATEST HEADLINES
    Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani criticized the city's move after Tuesday's vote.

"The city’s quickie EIR will be full of holes and will be thrown out by the courts," he said. "The Chargers will simply not hitch the future of the franchise to the city’s misbegotten legal strategy."

City officials say NFL officials encouraged them last month to continue work on a new stadium without cooperation from the Chargers.

So the city has continued to make moves that comply with an accelerated four-month timeline for a stadium environmental approval that City Attorney Jan Goldsmith laid out publicly on June 17, one day after presenting it privately to the Chargers.

The city issued a “notice of preparation” for an environmental impact report on June 22 and has scheduled a 6 p.m. Wednesday public meeting at Qualcomm Stadium to gather comments about the scope and content of that analysis.

The EIR, including detailed studies of traffic and other issues, must be completed and approved by the City Council by Oct. 15 to make a proposed Jan. 12 vote possible. State law requires at least 88 days to elapse between a city placing something on the ballot and a public vote taking place.

Having a vote by January is important because that’s when the NFL has said teams would be able to apply for relocation to the Los Angeles area.

The Chargers say it’s not possible the city can complete a comprehensive analysis of such a large project by Oct. 15, stressing that EIRs typically take 12 to 18 months.

The total budget approved on Tuesday by the council for the EIR is $2.1 million, which includes the $1.2 million for consultants AECOM, $380,000 to cover city staff time, $200,000 for stadium design work and a $320,000 contingency fund.

Supporters said the money approved on Tuesday is a wise expenditure even if the Chargers eventually move to Los Angeles, because the analysis would give the city a head start on analyzing any future projects at the site.

The $2.1 will be covered with a one-time payment from the state of exactly the same size. The city recently received that money to cover the city’s costs to comply with some “unfunded” state mandates and new regulations.

Council members joining Cole in favor were Scott Sherman, Lorie Zapf, Mark Kersey, Chris Cate and Sherri Lightner. Joining Gloria in opposition were David Alvarez and Marti Emerald.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/14/chargers-council-money-environment-nfl-stadium/

2. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Does it sound like the city is doing just enough to foil the chargers plan to move
    If they draw it out and get shot down in court then the city says oh well we tried
    Have fun in Carson
    Or is the city trying to botch the Chargers plans too by saying and doing what the NFL wants, to force the Chargers to at least stay in SD and not build a stadium

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Where is SD supposed to get the money? Guess yall will not be having your trash picked up or clean water... Sorry.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I saw that. I just dont know how they can spend it on a team that wants to leave rather than infrastructure...

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I think it is called "paying it forward"... San Diego will most probably lobby the NFL for a team at some future point, after Spanos takes his garbage to Carson of LA County ;)

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The way many people expected them to lobby for an NBA team? Color me unconvinced.

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    If you ever try to reason with me again, I'll resort to whipping out...

That dreaded (c)rap song :D

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    my bad.... carry on good sir....

10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Does anyone else think that in spite of anything and everything the city does, the Chargers will leave anyway? I wave my middle finger in the direction of Mark Fabiani and Charger Park.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I think so, if only because I've come to expect the NFL to constantly side on the side of backroom politics. And with Goldman-Sachs heavily tied to both the Carson project and the downtown St. Louis project (as well as most other new stadium ventures since Gillette Stadium in ~ 2001; save for JerryWorld); that's the most "wink wink nod nod" plan available them.

It's also the one that if they do push it through is the most likely to blow up (and at that point, deservedly so) in their face because of a number of factors:
    • The team that LA is most likely to embrace early is the Rams (Jeff Fisher being a USC guy, the Rams having been the historically more-popular team in LA even when both they and the Raiders were there), which would be the one that wouldn't be coming if the Carson plan is the one gone with.
    • Goldman-Sachs will do what they always do and use PSL's, tax-exemptions, low-interest loans, and raids on public subsidies (and that failing "general funds" intended for infrastructure and the like) to cover the "owners' contributions" inevitably passing the majority of the Spanos and Davis financial burden onto the tax-payers of Carson and LA County - without a vote ever occurring to approve such... and I'm sure that will go over just ducky when the items those funds and subsidies were supposed to pay to maintain/improve start going to crap.
    • With the Raiders and Chargers in the same market they'll go through with a division switch of the one of the two swapping with either Seattle or St. Louis which will then remove one of the original AFL founding clubs from both the AFC and from annually playing some of their historically biggest rivals dating back to the AFL days.
    • They won't get their coveted 2020 Super Bowl in Los Angeles because, contrary to what the talking points given to Fabiani say, with the amount of environment treatment (preliminary and ongoing) that would need to take place before shovels could break ground in Carson, along with actual (realistic) construction schedules, and necessary infrastructure amendments to the surrounding areas - that Carson Stadium wouldn't be ready in time for a February 2020 game even if they started the treatment immediately following an August vote by the owners.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I think you mean Dean Spanos, Fabiani is just a microphone. I don't get why people get mad at Fabiani, he isn't just a rogue spokesperson, it's all Dean.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the Chargers will leave, UNLESS, the NFL says no team is going to LA in 2016 , and they are going to give another year to the cities working on a stadium. Then SD would need to just abandon their game plan, grab their ankles, and just do everything the Chargers wish. A downtown stadium, built as part of convention expansion, funded by a hotel tax. Chargers kick in $200m, with a friendly $200m NFL loan, which they will replenish with money from naming rights, and PSL money which goes all to the Chargers of course.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I've reached the point where I am ready to say good riddance to Spanos, Fabiani and the rest of the deceitful members of this sack-o-$hit organization. The fans have stood behind the team through all these years and this is what we get... bent over and screwed like a cheap whore. I've become a Gulls fan and already have season tickets.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Granted, take this with a grain of salt (though, as someone who lives not terribly far from there either - two cities northwest-ish - I can attest that this fits with what I've heard as well), but this is a statement I found on the BringBacktheRams forum in regards to the environmental issues with the proposed Carson site that have yet to even be acknowledged by most of the media and particularly the Chargers:

LIS earlier, as someone who comes from a construction family where my father held a good number of HAZMAT certifications, the fact that there are sources trying to present the Carson plan as viable to be completed in time to host a 2020 Super Bowl is utterly preposterous.

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
  16. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Damn.....just in time for season kick off.....
    Sh*ts about to get real.