1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

County supervisor Ron Roberts likes citizens' initiative for new stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006

Good morning.

San Diego county supervisor Ron Roberts provided details from his meeting with San Diego Chargers chairman Dean Spanos in this interview with Scott Kaplan and Billy Ray Smith of The Mighty 1090 AM radio in this audio link.

Roberts said that he and San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer met with Spanos at his home on Friday in an earnest conversation, with both groups agreeing to work toward a long-term solution that keeps the team in San Diego.

Roberts also indicated that he likes the team’s idea of a citizens’ initiative effort, similar to the process the Chargers used in Carson, to help get a deal done in San Diego.

The Chargers have indicated in the past that they would pursue a citizens’ initiative effort on a downtown NFL stadium/convention center expansion if they stayed in San Diego.

“We’ve got some work over the next few weeks to hammer out if not all the major details, certainly all of the major elements of what an agreement would look like,” Roberts said. “And that includes the site and everything else.

“There’s just a hundred different issues that have to be discussed, as well as the design of the stadium. We designed a stadium without their input, so to speak.”

My take: Roberts said the city and county finally got their roll-the-sleeves-up moment, and now they will have to get to work on putting together an agreement that works for everyone.

Peter Rowe of The San Diego Union-Tribune offers a good read on the man Chargers fans love to hate -- Mark Fabiani. Rowe profiles the team’s point person on the stadium issue.

My take: The story provides good context on how Fabiani rose from an expert at the art of argument at the University of Redlands to earning a Harvard Law degree and working with high-profile clients like former president Bill Clinton and cyclist Lance Armstrong.

Bryce Miller of The San Diego Union-Tribune takes Melvin Ingram and Keenan Allen to task for tweets after the team’s decision to stay that stated fans better pack Qualcomm Stadium now that they got what they wanted.

My take: Sometimes it’s better not to hit the send button.

Ricky Henne of Chargers.com talks to Philip Rivers, who’s fired up the Chargers will remain in San Diego for at least one more season.

My take: Rivers’ sentiment speaks for the many players, coaches and team employees that would have to pick up and move their families if the team left, along with others who have jobs tied to the franchise being in town.
  2. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Sep 8, 2014
    Again it's downtown or no town. What BS
    Mission valley is a great place to have the stadium
    Freeway close PARKING did I mention PARKING
    There is no parking downtown
    Anyway the hoteliers will say no and push the expansion of the convention center