1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Coveted safety will always show up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Coveted safety will always show up<!---- END STORY TITLE -------->

<!--ClickabilityRefresh=10m--><!--- SAFE:SafeMode --->
    GM loves intangibles of second-round pick

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 25, 2007

<!--- BODYTEXT --->Eric Weddle would leave his home in south Escondido at 6:30 pretty much every weekend morning during June, knowing traffic on Interstate 15 could bottle up near Lake Hodges and delay him on his way to the Chargers complex for the team's offseason program.

He didn't have to be at the Murphy Canyon facility until 8. Invariably, he would be in the locker room shortly after 7.
    That's how Weddle does things. Despite living an hour from campus his junior year at the University of Utah, the kid was never – not once – late for 6 a.m. workouts, according to one of his coaches.

When you're committed to something you can't let your coaches down, your teammates down,” Weddle said recently. “They're counting on you.”
    It was pointed out to the earnest rookie that sometimes people accidentally oversleep. Sometimes the alarm doesn't go off. Sometimes things happen. With a blank stare and a shrug, Weddle responded simply, “Not with something like that.”
    And there it is – the something more that explains why Weddle, set to begin workouts today among the team's other rookies, was so coveted by the Chargers.
    As much as recognizing the tangibles, General Manager A.J. Smith's run of draft success owes to choosing young men he believes possess above-average maturity. He places a premium on players he thinks will rise to the next level seamlessly. A player with a head on straight is as important – maybe more important – to Smith as a player who can break stopwatches.
    So while Smith isn't specifically concerned with Weddle's churchgoing habits or his work with special needs kids or his devotion to his wife or his plans to raise a big family and have weekend barbecues in his enormous back yard, those things help explain why Smith parted with multiple draft choices for the right to draft Weddle.

“It was pretty impressive – what we think is a very mature, stable, grounded player, similar to Philip (Rivers),” Smith said. “Not all players have that. In his case, it was all part of the stability. It just added to his athletic ability and what we think about him.”
    Weddle, who will compete at strong safety and likely play in certain defensive packages as well as on special teams early this season, wasn't the Chargers' first draft pick in April. But he was their most talked about, because the team gave the Chicago Bears its second-round pick (62nd), third-rounder (93rd) and fifth-rounder (167) in this year's draft and a third-round pick in 2008 to move up 25 spots and take Weddle with the 37th selection overall.
    What the Chargers got was a player familiar with their system after running a facsimile at Utah. They got a man two years into his marriage to his high school sweetheart. They got someone who was always the designated driver even before he converted to the Mormon religion a few years ago. They got a special-education major who during college volunteered numerous hours with various youth organizations.

While no one knew it at the time, they got a soon-to-be-father, as Weddle's wife, Chanel, is four months' pregnant.
    “The only thing I really want to do is have a big family and play football,” Weddle said. “I'm not into all that other stuff. I'm just a football player.”
    Yeah, the Chargers got one of those, too.
    At 5 feet 11, he was lightly recruited his senior season in high school after a move from receiver to quarterback. “He didn't fit some people's numbers,” said John Kusleika, Weddle's high school coach. “They weren't hearing what we were trying to tell all of them, that this is the best high school football player I have ever seen.”
    Weddle ended up at Utah. He played cornerback and safety and was All-Mountain West Conference at both. And it has been chronicled plenty how he also played quarterback, running back, punter and holder with the Utes. He was on the field for 90 plays in one game last season. In 2006, he accounted for nine touchdowns on five rushes, two interception returns, a fumble return and a pass.
    That kind of desire to be so good at so much does not just happen. It flows from a deep-rooted yearning to excel.

“There is an aura around him that young man has – that he always has had,” said Brian Brown, who coached Weddle in basketball at Alta Loma High. “ . . . He's always been a little more mature than other people. Once he sets his mind to something, he's going to do it.”
    Brown recalled that Weddle would be pretty banged up by the time he joined the basketball team late after football season. “I knew he wouldn't be a complete basketball player through the whole season,” Brown said. “But I also knew I could trust him in any game situation, because no matter how much his leg was hurting or his elbow was killing him, he would be diving on the floor, going for the ball, doing whatever it took.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070725-9999-1s25chargers.html

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Dear Charger Players,
    TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!!!!!!

IF youre going to go out and drink, get a DD, and lucky for you, you have one right there on your team!

3. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

Unfortunately, there is always a price to pay. I am sure that he will have some 'literature' to share with those who ride in his car. :lol:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Another Football player. :football: AJ IS the best GM we have ever had. He is building one hell of a team.

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Good. Now, show up in between the reciever and the ball and make some badass plays. And it won't hurt if you lay a couple biznatches out and yes I'm talking about Moss and CJ and all the rest of those mouths.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Last week I got the knock on the door :icon_eek:

Yup ....

You got it.

It was "them".

I told "them" I was atheist and to get the fuc off my property before I put my foot in their asses. :yes: :abq2:

Getting this dude as a DD just to get preached the Watch Tower or whatever brainwashing **** ........ forgetaboutit. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I just tell the Morman's I am Chatholic.
    The JW's I am Morman.

Chatholics never go door to door....

I did have some older ladies, JW's, knock on my door when I lived in PB back in college on a sunday morning after an all nighter.

Answered my door in my boxers reeking of booze. They just walked away....

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    OK I'm Sold!!!:tup: :flag: :bolt:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_rofl: - You just needed to fondle yourself to make them run and not walk away. :lol:

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    What a guy!

I just tell them no thanks and have a nice day. Why be a dick about it?

11. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Your asking Trumpie this question...?

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't know, maybe it's their presumption that they are morally superior, and that THEIR beliefs are the RIGHT beliefs.

I also think it's incredibly rude to knock on a stranger's door to try to sell them something, whether it's a religion or a timeshare.

Besides, if you're too nice, they might come back. :lol:

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I always invite the Mormons and JW's in ..... and try to convert them.

:D

14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    In all honesty, it's the only thing he really does well.

15. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    It seems like being a total dick to them and dismissing them as people not worthy of common courtesy is just as presumptious and being morally superior that YOUR belief is the right belief.

Six of one, half dozen of another.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Now that seems completely fair.

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Do you have your De-Nutter 2000 stragetically lying around in plain view for, uh, conversational purposes? :icon_tease:

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Would it help you to know that bsbb is presumptious and believes himself to be superior, morally and otherwise? :yes:

He isn't a dick like hornblower though. :lol:

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey, I'm not knocking on their doors telling them how to live their lives. I don't presume that what I believe is right. It's just right for me. If they want to believe in Santa Jesus, I've got no problem with it. It's only when they try to tell me how I should live that I have a problem with it.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, I guess we are alot alike. :icon_rofl:

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I have a Pit bull stationed right out side my front door, no one comes up and knocks on my door that she don't know.:bolt:

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I had the ACLU come to my door recently. Boy did that little hippie pick the wrong house (and neighborhood).

She left with her tail between her legs (so to speak). I told her just skip the whole block. :yes:

23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I occasionally tell them that I'm a Wiccan and show them the native american medicine wheel tatooed on my shoulder to get them to leave.

One time when they showed up a few weeks after my son was diagnosed with autism I told them they had 30 seconds to explain to me why their God gave my son autism where he couldn't speak or understand to fulfill the requirements to recieve their God thereby condemming him eternally?
    After they stood there stammering for a few seconds I said goodbye and shut the door in their face.

Wasn't having a real good day even before that.:unsure:

24. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    :lol: :lol: Awesome!!! Where can I get one of those?!?!?:icon_twisted:

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Good God, you son is lucky to have a father like you. Your walk is a mighty fine one and many can not follow you.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sweet. That's awesome. Props to you.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have a fully fenced and gated property which is "private" and not "public" for starters.

Second, I did not invite them onto my private property.

Third, they are disrespecting my time by showing up as trespassers unannounced and uninvited.

Fourth, if I feel I need religion, I will go to them because my legs work and I have a few vehicles in the driveway which are visible.

Fifth, they were dressed in godddamn Raider colors (black and white) so they were fuc't every which way from Sunday before they even opened their mouths.

So why go through all those emotions wasting my time? :icon_shrug:

Fuc that. :tdown:

I just told them to get the fuc out of here before I put my foot in their ***.

That took 5 seconds versus listening to 5 minutes or even 60 seconds of "How are you's?

I suspect it goes on their "do not mess with this dudes house list" or whatever they use to make sure the next idiot does not get his feelings hurt or traumatized.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    the Mormons never send out their chicks, just the dudes. Maybe they're afraid they'd never come back???????:bolt:

29. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yep. I have in-laws that are mormons. It's some strange ****. :unsure:

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

I have never had a female Mormon come to my door. Yes, it is rather strange, once they get a taste they'd never go back????.:bolt: :icon_shrug: :icon_toast: