1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboys Kicker Thinks He's Faster Than Patrick Crayton

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Aug 19, 2008
    7/21/2010 11:00 AM ET By Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson
    Back Porch Editor

The Cowboys' David Buehler isn't your typical NFL kicker. He's more than a former high school soccer player who now makes his living booting kickoffs and attempting field goals. Much, much more than that.

During the 2009 combine, Buehler separated himself from the competition by running a 4.6-40 and throwing 225 pounds up 25 times. And by competition, I don't mean other kickers, I mean just about everybody in attendance no matter their position.

Which is why it's not that surprising that Buehler, in a recent radio interview, would talk about using his athletic talents to shame his teammates. Via the Dallas Morning News: On having beaten former Cowboys defensive back, DeAngelo Smith, a fifth-round 2009 draft pick, in a 40-yard dash during 2009 training camp: "He was talking a bunch of trash, so I just shut him up. I knew I had the speed. It made me a little bit of capital, as well. So, there was a little bit on the line.And Buehler wasn't done. He also thinks he can take Patrick Crayton. "Nothing against Patrick, you know, but I have confidence in my speed, too, so I think I could beat him. It probably won't happen at practice, or anything like that; it'll just need to be on the side."

The reason it won't happen at practice? Wade Phillips has banned "challenge races." Something about it getting in the way of actually preparing for the next opponent.

And then there's Buehler's freakish strength. When asked about a recent trip to the weight room, the kicker relayed this story: "The other day, actually, funny you asked - went in the gym. ... It wasn't a mandatory lift, and then me and (defensive end) Igor (Olshansky) got under, ah, 225. I think he did it 22 times, and I just wanted to one-up him, so I did it 23. I'm not sure if that's all he had. I'm sure he could have done more, but all he did was 22 and then put the bar up. And, I was, like, 'Alright, I'm getting 23.' So, I did beat Igor, and then it got a little bit to his head. And he was, like, 'Alright, let's do it again.' So, he got up there and did, like, 20, and I could only do, like, 5. (laughter) My energy was already blown. (more laughter)"

And this concludes "Conversations Nate Kaeding Never Has."

Pointy :icon_twisted:
  2. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Let's trade for him. He can replace Nate and VJ!