1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Buster Davis

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by StratoBoltz, Jun 7, 2008.

1. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    How do you guys think Buster is going to go this year?I think he will become a useful part of our receiving crew and hope he keeps on maturing as a player as his experience grows.

2. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    My prediction is that his production will not be where people want it, and the b word will start to be floated around. However, I think that will mostly be a product of too many people to spread the ball around to.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's a good take. Buster's involvement in the offense will hinge on not only his development but the emergence of players like Naanee, Chandler, & Floyd. If EP makes it back, he'll also compete heavily with Buster.

Competition is gonna be stiff in the WR ranks this year. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Ultimately, somebody's going to go. The question is whom? Our bench riders for receiver can start or be the #2 receivers for a lot of other teams. I think Buster will come on, but as stated earlier, maybe not as fast as people think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think it may be Floyd's turn to be the odd man out in SD. He just hasn't made much impact in games. He looks great in TC, then disappears. Maybe Joiner will make a difference - I'd really like to see Malcolm shine. :yes: But I think he may be gone barring a big change.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    If anything, our WR core is going to be extremely focused this year. Especially knowing there's someone behind you ready to take your place.

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I just want Buster to give me some YAC and I will be happy

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With Hester and Thomas coming in, the question will be whether or not Malcolm is a better value as depth at wide receiver or if Kassim is worth more on special teams. For me, quality depth at a key position is worth more than someone who contributes only on special teams. Hester or Thomas can sub for Kassim's loss. We have no one who can replace malcolm's depth at WR. Floyd does well in camp and in preseason. He has made some nifty plays in games. The reason he gathers splinters in the season is a mystery to me, but I think he is worth more than Kassim, with the addition of Hester and Thomas.

9. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah i agree about Floyd,lets hope he puts it together in game time and has some oppurtunities to show us what he can do.AS already mentioned the competition should keeep all WR,s on top of their game which is good news for Rivers.

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    As long as he beats out the gutless wonder ill be happy

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Who are you talking about?

:icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

Where's parker88fan

:frightened:

12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    he's currently handing out bad rep 2 anyone that diss his boy EP:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  13. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Davis beating out erica, hell even Naanee beating him out. As long as someone beats him out and makes him expendable and thus forcing AJ to trade him :abq2:

Yeah ive gotten some bad rep from him :icon_rofl:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That usually a given (as long as your not a head case or a criminal) but the bigger question will be if he's #1 draft pick material.
    Jackson certainly is (even though he wasn't.)

Though I expect him to take the #3 spot.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Naanee's pretty damn good. In fact, at this moment I'm more impressed with him than Buster.

Why are you making him out to be a chump? Just to continue discrediting Parker?

16. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm with you on wanting to see Malcom shine - as always it will depend upon remaining injury free - an area he has had problems with in the past.. Durability is a much sought after quality when you are earning the NFL's bucks.

Back on Buster - We should pretty well know where he is at by the end of camp. Norv really wanted that kid to succeed last year but would up getting knee deep in his hind end there a couple of times over what appeared to be mental screw-ups.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Was he injured last season? I was wondering where he was.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    ok someone needs to explain this to me. EVERYONE is going gaga over Naanee and already writing off Davis, when in reality Davis had more catches, yards TDs and a higher per catch average, and was an AJ Smith 1st round pick. Is it because of their draft position? Does being a 5th rounder make Naanee an underdog and thus the fan favorite?

It seems like that perfectly timed playoff screen play elevated Naanee to superstar status among charger fans

I dont mean to knock him, i like him alot and hope he becomes another big time weapon that we are going to need in 2 years when chambers contract ends but as of right now i still like Davis better

• Like Like x 1
  19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    nanee is kind of a Gates kind of player what with his physical atributes so there is high hopes for him. Davis is your normal reciever who reminds me alot of chambers. Just needs to refine his game. Davis played very well last year. I don't know why people are down on him. And his upside is high. I do think he has the potential to be another chambers.

The way I see it. Chambers came in half way through the year and was just grasping norv's offense. And Davis came in as a rookie and was just getting the feel for the nfl. They both did well last year. This year they both should be on fire. And then theres mr. jackson who's come into his own. Sweet.

If the chargers o-line can give Rivers time to pass this offense will go to the moon in points and yardage.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How much time did Naanee get on the field?
    How much time did Buster get on the field?
    I'm not writing Buster off at all. As I said "at this moment I'm more impressed with Naanee."

21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    So far I haven't been impressed with Buster. They're going to give him a shot based on where he was drafted and because he'll do just enough in training camp and preseason. I'm just not sold on the guy. I know if it were a clutch situation, I'd rather have Eric Parker in there than Buster.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'll have my opinion there after preseason. I've always liked Parker but he HAS to stay healthy.

23. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    It is way too early in the game to speculate that Davis is a b-word. It will be interesting to see what happens in T.C. between him and Parker for the no 3 WR spot

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The whole forum needs to red bomb him .....

25. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    And why do you think that was?

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    First round draft pick vs. fifth.

27. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Yeah i.m with you on that,i think Buster will come good because of the attention that VJ and CC get from the D.He needs to stake his claim at TC though .

28. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    With all the offensive firepower this team has, there's been no need/urgency to forcefeed Buster into the lineup. He also had a sprained ankle that held him back in the earlier part of the season.

Considering the state of the Chargers' offense, I wasn't surprised that Buster didn't play a lot as a rook. Neither did VJ, and he's turning out okay.

When Buster DID play, he did fine, IMO. Not spectacular... not great... not stupendous... just "fine". He'll see a whole lot of the field this summer, and then we'll find out the degree to which he's developed his game.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I predict that Buster Davis' participation in TC will be limited due to minor injuries. This will be a constant throughout the season, which will limit his effectiveness.

Buster will basically be our 4th receiver, a non factor.

30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Very good assessment.

He's only in his second year, he's really a non-factor so far and that's par for the course at this point.

I don't think the coaching staff expects to see him to become a dominant third option yet. The Bolts have depth at that 3rd reciever and a hell of a TE. And if Parker can get back to pre-injury form, the coaches will probably prefer his experience in a Superbowl or bust type of year.

In recent years this team has been patient in developing players that they are high on. They will give Buster time to grow into his position in hopes that their first round pick will grow into a solid starting NFL receiver. That said, he'll get some playing time and the coaches will expect improvement comensurate with a year under his belt. Anything more will be a pleasant and well-received bonus.

• Like Like x 1