1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Davis Video

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Apr 28, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Video of our top pick
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wB1PXqkSAGA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wB1PXqkSAGA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    The kid looks good. :tup:

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    He looks very good

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Seeing those videos reminds me of how often I bet on LSU this year. Lots of great memories there. :lol:

Huge need addressed. Let Weddle fall to us in this round and it'll be time to start getting drunk. :icon_toast:

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Are you ******** me? Didn't you bet with us against miss state was it? when LSU failed to cover because they pulled out Jamarcus and blew an extra point

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hes a bigger reach than Cromartie was.

He had Dwayne Bowe taking pressure off him on the otherside and JaMarcus Russell was his QB.
    You can make a case for this guy being overrated.

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

Thanks ChargerRay...I've never heard of him until today...it said he rarely drops a pass...I hope he does well wearing a Bolts uniform...:bolt:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Well count me as one person who just did some speed reading on this dude and if he can not stay healthy at the college level, his asss may be grass in the NFL.

Here is the ESPN bio:

Overall: Davis was limited early during his true freshman season of 2003 by a broken right elbow and finished the year with seven catches for 63 yards after seeing action in nine games. In 2004, he appeared in all 12 contests making eight starts, and led the Tigers with 43 receptions for 659 yards (15.3 average) and scored one touchdown. Davis played in 11 of 13 games during the 2005 season with five starts after missing some time due to a concussion. He finished the year with 35 receptions for 559 yards (16 average) and two touchdowns despite being sidelined for the Mississippi State and Florida games. In 2006 Davis started 12 of 13 games while catching 56 passes for 836 yards (14.9 average) and four touchdowns. He also added 142 yards and a touchdown on 11 punt returns during the year.

Davis has been underrated throughout most of his ...

My Read: There may be a good reason he was underrated. Maybe he should have been underrated? I do not watch a lot of college ball but this pick does not impress me for ****. The Weddle pick which has EC getting wet panties over seems to be a better pick but some dumb assess called this kid slow with 4.4ish speed at ESPN.

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    im cool with our draft so far, we addressed both major needs so far, im just glad we filled our need, our need for speed.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Buddy Nix said he clocked Davis at 4.37 :icon_eek:

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    ok after watching his interviews and video about ten times allowing the shyt to sink in i think hes craigs gonna fit in nicely, we dont really need him to shine, just haul wheels down field, im happy about him and very optimistic. weddle on the other hand never made me a believer while at utah.

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    still not sure about the pick but looking forward to seing the kid retun punts. or at least looking forward to NOT seeing Sproles return punts.:unsure:

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Fuggin' eh ....

My intro to Sproles was watching him fumble his way through a game at K. St where my Bulldogs came in and spanked their asses. I didn't see what all the hype was over the midget.

Maybe AJ can pawn him off to Cam, since Welker split to NE. Charge the Dolfish a draft pick tomorrow and we'll pay the friggin' airfare.

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    you called it dood! weddle!!!!! u better be hammered right now lol

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    HIDDEN GEM

Craig Davis toiled in the background during his LSU career, but for some team, he could be a steal of a draft pick.

April 26th, 2007

Nola.com

BATON ROUGE -- It wouldn't seem that LSU wide receiver Craig "Buster" Davis was about to hit it big, not from talking to him, anyway.

During a recent phone interview, Davis was about as matter-of-fact as a future NFL player could be. A former four-sport star from O. Perry Walker High School, Davis seemed more interested in putting together an entertainment center in his Baton Rouge apartment than discussing this weekend's NFL draft, where he is expected to be a first-day selection.

"He's a little shy," his mother, Sanedra Berry, said. "That's just the type of person he is: laid-back, not outgoing. He doesn't worry. He goes with the flow.

But we're all pretty excited," she added.

They should be. Davis most likely will be the fourth LSU player taken in Saturday's NFL draft. His combination of size (6 feet 2, 213 pounds) and speed (4.38 in the 40-yard dash), make him a prototype pro receiver. Plus, he has received high marks for his work ethic and character, which have added value as the league cracks down on miscreant players.

But rather than bask in the coming glory, Davis is playing it cool. On Saturday, he plans to go off by himself until he is selected.

"I'm not really thinking about football right now," he said. "I'm doing things to get my mind off of things and keep myself active.

"I know my family is excited. They are like me, just waiting for things to fall into place. I'll be to myself until my name is called. Then I'll head to the West Bank, where probably half of Algiers will be at my house."

Davis' numbers indicate he's got a good shot at playing early. He caught 56 passes for 836 yards and four touchdowns while sharing quarterback JaMarcus Russell with wide receiver teammate Dwayne Bowe last season.

Russell, Bowe and safety LaRon Landry are expected to go in the first round Saturday.

But being in the background, under the radar, is where Davis functions best. In that respect, he could wind up being a steal of a draft pick.

......... click above for rest of article .........

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Buddy's a witch. And he's been scouting this kid since high school.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Are you ******** me? 4.38 speed ..... I read where you said the Nix timed him at 4.3 something but wow.....

We need a fast dude who can fuggin fly with the wind and catch the ball. John Jefferson, Wes Chandler, Alworth were fun to watch and we have not really had **** since those dudes. Not even Tony Martin filled the bill for me.

Everything we have had at the Number One WR spot since those dudes has been mediocre or has had just enough huevos to pass the mustard....fuc that. :tdown:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I love this quote:

"But being in the background, under the radar, is where Davis functions best. In that respect, he could wind up being a steal of a draft pick."

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pfft try this...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/davis_craig

Craig Davis
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 207 Position: Wide Receiver
    College: Louisiana State

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

OVERVIEW
    Davis is a well-built target who runs precise routes, and many experts consider him to have the best hands of any receiver in the Southeastern Conference. A tireless worker, he spent part of the 2006 summer running routes and catching passes from Peyton and Eli Manning at the annual Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La.

Davis was rated the state of Louisiana's best receiver at O. Perry Walker High School. He earned national blue chip honors and was a SuperPrep All-American pick as a senior. Rivals.com rated him the No. 12 receiver in the country.

Known for his versatility, Davis competed as a split end, quarterback, placekicker and punter during his final season. He caught 82 passes for 1,171 yards (14.3 avg) and 16 touchdowns that year, and helped lead the Chargers to the Class 4A state championship game. He also rushed for 93 yards and passed for 483 yards in 2002. As a junior, Davis caught 46 passes, including 15 for touchdowns, and served as the backup quarterback for the Class 4A runner-up squad.

Davis enrolled at Louisiana State in 2003. He appeared in nine games, including six on offense. He sat out several games with a broken bone in his right elbow. He finished his first season with seven catches for 63 yards (9.0 avg). He played in 12 games as a sophomore, starting eight times at the "X" receiver position. Davis caught at least one pass in every game, finishing with a team-high 43 receptions for 649 yards (15.3 avg) and a touchdown. He also made two tackles and gained 5 yards on a reverse.

Davis missed two games in 2005 due to a concussion and plantar fasciitis in his left foot. He started five of 11 games he appeared in, ranking second on the team with 35 catches for 559 yards (16.0 avg) and a pair of touchdowns. In 2006, he started the team's first eight games, and led the Tigers with 41 receptions for 595 yards (14.5 avg) and two scores. He also gained 108 yards with a touchdown on six punt returns (18.0 avg).

In 2006, Davis earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors. He started 12 games at the "X" receiver position (he missed the Alabama game with a knee sprain). He ranked third on the team with 56 receptions for 836 yards (14.9 avg) and four touchdowns. He added 142 yards and a score on 11 punt returns (12.9 avg) and gained 15 yards on four reverses.

In 44 games at Louisiana State, Davis started 25 times. He became the seventh player in school history to gain more than 2,000 yards receiving in a career, catching 141 passes for 2,107 yards (14.9 avg) and seven touchdowns. Davis added 20 yards on five carries (4.0 avg) and returned 11 punts for 142 yards (12.9 avg) and a score. He also recorded two tackles.

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Added needed upper-body muscle tone during the 2006 offseason … Is a very quick open-field runner who gets under the ball instantly, making good body adjustments to be in position to make the catch … Aggressive blocker who does a nice job of locating and stalking second-level defenders … Plays with good lower body strength and explosion to break tackles and separate … Uses his arms well to get a clean release off the line and has the lateral agility to slip past and avoid the jam … Uses an effective swim move in his release and a stutter step to shake off the cornerback … Explodes coming out of his breaks and knows how to use his burst to ride up on a defensive back in attempts to gobble up the cushion … Knows how to set the defender up with his head fakes and change-of-direction agility … Does a good job of making body adjustments when working in the red zone … Uses his size well to shield defenders from the ball … Very effective at getting low for the underneath throws and can pluck the ball away from his frame … Can easily separate from a lethargic cornerback when running into the deep secondary to get under the ball … His leg drives lets him consistently break tackles and he has the loose hips and juking moves to make the initial tackler miss … Once he finds the crease, he can gain valid yardage with the ball … Effective position blocker with the ability to sustain, rather than merely get in the way and pester … Does a very good job of adjusting to the ball in flight; he has the second gear needed to get to the pass in a hurry … Has the size to separate from single defenders working in the short area and the leg strength to drive through tackles … His vertical speed allows him to consistently stretch the field and he has the acceleration to gobble up the defender's cushion to get on top of his man.

Negatives: Still developing his frame and has a small bubble :icon_eek: :unsure: :icon_eek: :unsure: :icon_eek: with adequate calf-muscle definition … Despite his frame and aggression as a blocker, he seems hesitant at times to work in a crowd and compete for jump balls … Needs to be more alert on the field; he does a poor job of coming back for the ball when the quarterback is pressured … Even with his above-average timed speed, he doesn't demonstrate a quick thrust coming off the line to challenge the defensive back … Tends to make soft-angle cuts and is slow to regain his acceleration when he has to stop, catch and then run with the ball … Has natural hands to catch the low and chest-high balls, but will struggle some with his timing and elevation going for the high throws … Gives a poor effort, keeping his arms short and lets the ball come into his body rather than extend for it when working through a crowd (has some upper-body stiffness that limits him in adjusting to the ball at its highest point) … Will throttle down and take plays off when he is not involved in the action.

Compares To: Robert Ferguson, Green Bay -- Like Ferguson, when Davis' head is in the game, big things can happen. He just needs to run consistent routes and needs to be more alert when his quarterback is flushed out of the pocket; it is rare to see him come back for the ball. He also must show better courage going for the ball in a crowd.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Chargers | Team expects Davis to work in slot
    Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:30:00 -0700

San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said the team believes rookie WR Craig Davis will be able to contribute immediately to the offense. He said they believe he is capable of being a "complete receiver" and they feel he will make an immediate impact as their slot receiver.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    3:1 says by midseason parker's in the slot and Davis is #2

besides teh Chargers rotate their WRs in and out alot

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    When I think Craig Davis the first guy that comes to mind is Lee Evans. He's gonna be in the game to get the yards and he'll come out when we get in the redzone.

25. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    The redzone is Gates territory.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And Jackson/Floyd too.:tup:

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If I remember correctly, Jefferson wasn't so much fast as he was unnaturally quick and acrobatic with hands that must have secreted stickum from some mutant gland.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is a better Davis video!
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA_8YV6Nnn8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA_8YV6Nnn8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

29. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Nice!

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Experts take on the pick

30. San Diego Chargers
    The pick: Craig Davis, WR, LSU
    Scouts take:
    Davis projected as an early second-round pick, so this is a bit of a reach but all-and-all a good pick. Though he is a raw route runner, Davis made great strides at the collegiate level and there's no questioning his natural ability. He reaches his top speed quickly and has the second gear to run past defensive backs. A playmaker with the ball in his hands, he can create after the catch and return punts as well. And oh yeah, he fills the Chargers' greatest need. While Davis really isn't a ready-made No. 2 receiver, he could be San Diego's best receiver by the opening game of the season.