1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Credit to Rivers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JBerrier, Jan 14, 2008.

1. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    For all of the deserved criticism that Rivers has endured this year, he also deserves a lot of the credit. He has quarterbacked this team to a 13-5 record and a birth in the AFC Championship game. He has been abused by the media and fans (me included), yet he continues to go out and play. Yesterday, with LT out and Gates not 100%; Rivers continued his development into a big-time QB. Rivers made plays against the NFL’s #1 ranked defense without San Diego’s 1st option and a limited 2nd option. Three touchdowns, 74% completion percentage and 13.9 yards per attempt. This kid is really coming into his own and this could mean trouble for the rest of the NFL. We may not win next week in Foxboro, but I see a Super Bowl victory in the near future for the San Diego Chargers.

:flag:

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    WE WILL WIN!!!! :icon_twisted:

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers has NEVER played bad in a big game. He had some growing pains this year, but Rivers is a perennial pro bowl QB. As Trent Dilfer said, Rivers was pumping the ball downfield. These were not easy or safe throws. Rivers was amazing.

4. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The td throw to Chambers was amazing !!!

Even Dierdork was on his jock !! :lol::abq2::abq1::icon_toast::bolt:

5. goalline

goalline BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The best throw of the game, I think was the 3rd and 14 after the delay of game. The dome was rocking and he stayed in his game, hit Chambers for a 22 yard gain. The next play Sproles is in the end zone. Changed the game and showed me a lot.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    We certainly won't WIN @ Foxboro since it was torn down in 2001. :icon_tease:

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think our "Air Norv" passing attack is set for the foreseeable future with Rivers, Gates, Chambers, Jackson (big, big props to him), and whatever Davis and Nanee can give.

P.S. Hey Philip, if you get pumped up talking trash, then do it!, don't shut up like the media says you have to, it's like when they want running qb's to become pocket passers :icon_shrug:

8. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    They tore down Foxboro, MA? I guess it got buried in the headlines after 9/11. I'm glad the town has recovered:icon_rofl:

9. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yup, that's the one I think of too. Big time situation and a big time throw with four Colts in the immediate vicinity - and he put it right in the middle of the window. Even Dierdorf gushed, "Oh, Philip Rivers, you are growing into a big-time quarterback."

That throw was amazing, and a game full of amazing throws by Philip Rivers.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He has completely come out of the slump he was in this season and is playing like a gunslinger

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Patriots still play in Foxboro, MA. They just don't call the stadium Foxboro anymore.

12. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Why is it that Eli is getting all this hype now about turning the corner and being a great QB and PR is getting reduced to an after-thought? I know Eli plays in "the center of the universe" and is playing very well, but damn! :icon_shrug: In my opinion, PR has played better than Eli and against tougher competition.

Note to the guys in the media: I know you hate the Chargers, but show PR a little love. He is playing great right now.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    East Coast? Check
    'Historical Team'? Check
    MANNING? Check
    Chargers still winning and making Eli trade look stupid? Double check

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Bingo PostAnteater. That's exactly why! I don't care for the media on Eli's and Bradys jock. We just have to quietly go up to NE and ruin all their glorious plans!!! :icon_toast:

15. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    And because he makes homoerotic cookie commercials with his brother while his parents are watching :icon_huh::icon_eek:

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He is the chosen one...

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Rivers is, not that ***** manning. Just in case that came out wrong...

18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Also, this quote from Jimmy Johnson might shed some light

"But it was the Chargers who beat the Colts — with a backup quarterback and a couple of backup running backs, no less. "

Even though that was a great drive by Volek, it was Rivers' excellent play and 3 td's that helped the most.

Seems some "experts" didn't bother watching the game and saw the highlights instead, seeing Volek "win" the game :icon_shrug:

P.S. to be fair, little sister has been playing good

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Philip Rivers has definitely turned the corner, and he will only get better; I really don’t think we’ll have to be worried about his play regressing again.

The key thing is, Philip has developed a trust with his wideouts. As a result, he’s been more decisive in his throws, gotten out of the habit of just looking to Antonio Gates, and he’s finally starting to look off the safeties.

We’re really going to be scary next year. Chambers will work with Rivers and mentor the other young WR’s in the offseason, VJ will continue to improve, and I expect both Buster Davis and Legedu Nanee to get much more involved in the passing game.

20. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Our pass offense is looking SCARY in the future :icon_toast:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Philip has embraced the hate.

22. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Yes yes yes .. twas a joke.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Ummm, it was more like you trying to correct someone for saying something wrong when it was actually you who were wrong. :yes:

Nice attempted save though. :lol:

24. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Embraced it? He spent a week with it in Cabo :icon_rofl:

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    we might need counselors to handle how to give up the hate after the season

26. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Believe what you want.

Apparently the :icon_tease: wasn't enough for you.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No way it ends. If we pull it off it will still be a fluke even though we would have beaten 2 of the best teams of the 2000's (NE and IND).

Nope, it will still be Philip is an immature punk, yadda yadda yadda.

EMBRACE IT.

28. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    It's already started .. Courtesy of Len Pasquerelli on ESPN ..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3194997

29. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I was listening to media this morning. And they had the nerv to say Rivers isn't backed up by any of his players. Well i could beg a differ Chambers, Vincent, Davis ,Gates, The whole Offensive Line, Defense, and the staff is 100% behind Rivers. (On 1st and 10 they said Rivers whines to much I started laughing (Lt is the only one who cries on our team. Lt has been better at that though.) They Said he took things to far. And he needs to mature and thats his personality and thats not good. They also commented on him not coming in when Volick was out. He is said he didnt want to ruin the run. And I'm glad he didn't. They said no player says im to hurt to play. But the fact is Rivers didn't say that. These Sportscaster don't even watch the game or understand these players. They don't comment on Tom Brady yelling at his kicker missing a kick. They just don't like how the Chargers don't get in the media for that bad of things. Rivers is my main man and will lead this team to a Superbowl i can feel it.. BOLTS BABY!

30. Preechr

Preechr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    After Rivers came jogging back on the sideline, the camera caught him standing next to LT. There was no audio of what they were saying, but you could see LaDainian asking Philip something. Rivers responded, and you could see LT’s body language drop and he clear mouthed the word “Damn”.

At that moment, I knew Rivers wasn’t going back in. I also knew that LT thought the Chargers best chance of winning was with the guy standing beside him. Whatever LT had been thinking a few weeks ago when he was disgusted by Rivers taking a seat next to him on the bench, had definitely changed.