1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cro article at ESPN Insider

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can someone give me the gist of the article talking about Cromartie going to the Vikings?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Speculation that the Vikings will sign and trade Chester Taylor for Cro....nothing substantial. A deal is likely sooner than later for Cro per Acee.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thanks.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would love Taylor, but the article was dumb. It was an idea of Minn pulling a sign and trade with Taylor, you know like those happen all the time in the NFL.

They actually never happen since it would mean the signing team would be on the hook for 100% of the signing bonus. There is no way players are going to sign a contract that they get no bonus on, just so they can be traded. And there is no way Minn franchises him and guarantees $7mil in hopes of getting a trade done

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Maybe it's because I'm just not smart being a law school graduate and all but why on earth (or better yet how on earth) do you trade for a guy that is a UFA?

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Makes no sense for both teams.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    who wrote the article. Makes no sense. I hope a.j. is smarter than trading a young cb for an older rb. WE had an old rb. Why would we go after the same thing. Espn is getting more rediculous as time goes by.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Taylor may be 30, but he has very little mileage on his body and no injury issues. He has as many career carries as LT did after the 2003 season (Yes after LT's 3rd season). He was also a Pro Bowler prior to Peterson being drafted and is a VERY good receiver out of the back field. He is the guy we need to split carries wit ha rookie for about 3 years

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You don't have to be smarter than a fifth grader to know that this makes no sense whatsoever.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    The problem is it's beyond our control.

We can't force the Vikings to let Chester Taylor go into free agency. So if they sign him the only thing we can do is trade for him.

I'm not saying Cro for Taylor does or does not make sense in terms of whether or not it's a good trade, I'm just commenting on the aspect of trading for someone who might be a free agent if the Vikings don't resign him.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Vikes will only have one choice as a way to keep Taylor because he has already said he wants a shot at being a starter, that one choice is frachise tag, which just isn't happening. Taylor isn't resigning with them for the same reason Turner didn't resign with us, they want an opportunity to start and it isn't happeing in Minn.

People act like teams can just go sign who ever they want, and the players don't have to agree to it. Getting a contract done takes both sides to want a contract to get done. Since Taylor has no interest in staying with Minn because he wants a shot at starting, why would he agree to a contract with them? Why would Minn sign him to a contract which they would be on the hook for 100% of the signing bonus, just so they can get a player in return who only has one year left on his contract?

The whole idea of "Trading for Taylor" is asinine

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    If that's true (which I'm not saying it isn't) then that kinda nullifies the entire rumor before it can even happen.

You're right about this, but it doesn't negate what I was saying.

Yes, it takes Chester Taylor agreeing to the contract with Minnesota before they can sign (and then trade) him.

But guess what? The Chargers also have no control over that.

I agree with you that Chester wouldn't sign with them but, for argument's sake, let's say he does sign with them but then they want to flip him to San Diego for Cro.

The response would be "why did we just trade for a guy who was an UFA?"

Well...it's not like, in that scenario, we had the option to sign him.

That is all I was really saying. :icon_shrug:

From a realistic POV of whether or not it'll actually happen, I agree. Because the Vikings aren't going to tag him and he won't sign with them.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is 100% fact, which is why this whole thread is ridiculous