1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cromartie’s extra work paying off

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie laughed Thursday when asked if he felt like he was in a zone.

It was a fair question considering the way that he’s played, but the NFL’s current leader in interceptions believes his play over the last seven weeks is simply a product of months of work in the classroom.

“I’ve really learned how to watch film this season from Coach (Kevin) Ross and Coach (Bill) Bradley,” Cromartie said. “They’ve taught me how to diagnose different plays and formations and get to where I can make plays. It’s really paying off.”

Teammates lauded the way Cromartie has worked on and off the field since his arrival. They’ve been thrilled to see things click for the second-year player this season.

“He’s not changed; it’s just paying off for him,” safety Marlon McCree said. “He’s a guy that has been coming to work every day since he got here. He’s got a great work ethic and has been dedicated. We’re all happy for him with the way he’s playing.”

Just how much has Cromartie benefited from this extra work? His NFL-high eight interceptions this season have all come in the last seven games. His next pick will allow him to tie Charlie McNeil for the team record of nine in a season, a mark that was set in 1961.

After recording his first career interception against Oakland in Week 6, Cromartie pointed to the trend that takeaways come in bunches and said he hoped that would be the case for him. It certainly has been.

Cromartie has registered three games with two or more interceptions. With another such performance, he will become the first player since 1981 and the fifth since the Super Bowl era (1966) to record two or more interceptions in four games in a season. Cromartie would join Bradley on the list. Bradley is a former Philadelphia Eagles safety who along with Ross has helped Cromartie immensely this season.

“I’m aware of all the numbers, but they’re not my focus,” Cromartie said. “I’m just playing football and having fun. My biggest thing is that we’ve won every game I’ve had a pick in. That’s what really matters to me.”

Opponents have certainly taken notice. Earlier this week, Titans Head Coach Jeff Fisher praised Cromartie’s work.

“All you have to do is look at the numbers. When you’ve got a guy that’s got eight interceptions at this point in the year, he’s making plays on the ball,” Fisher said. “Then you do a closer study and he’s got great ball skills, change of direction and long arms. He’s a very, very productive player.”

Fisher said that the Titans thought very highly of Cromartie when he entered the 2006 draft. Tennessee used their first-round pick, the third overall choice, on quarterback Vince Young, but they liked Cromartie a lot.

“It was a great choice by the Chargers,” Fisher said. “We had him very high on our draft board and knew that he was going to be a very good player once he overcame the injury situation there. He is in fact just what we thought he would be and the Chargers are using him very well.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    What are the chances that Clinton "Toast" Hart will take some hints from this and try to improve his game???

:icon_shrug::icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

3. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    :icon_bow: :nana_rock:

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Hart is 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. He's maxed out his talent. That dude's already bumping the ceiling of his ability. :tdown:

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wow, 5 pound over flow...

I aint cleaning it up!

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    :icon_rofl:
    All repped out.
    Trumpetdude is going to blow a gasket on this one!

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Just tell Trumpy that hart believes the Spanos are not ripping off the city...

8. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Cro is a Nole, Noles are hard workers and excellent players. Typically when a team drafts a Nole it is the start of GREAT things to come :yes:

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494